Retro and New Video Game Picture/Video Thread

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
BEST CASTLEVANIA GAME EVER! PERIOD!

I'm sorry, why are we still talking?

sotn.jpg

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Great classic. I remember when I was a kid, I thought this was Baby Mario lol....I was wrong
smile.png

rrr_img_37488.png
rrr_img_37489.jpg
rrr_img_37490.jpg
rrr_img_37491.jpg

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I played this game over and over and over and over. One of the best Genesisgamesto be released.

rrr_img_37493.jpg
rrr_img_37494.jpg
rrr_img_37495.jpg
rrr_img_37496.jpg
rrr_img_37497.jpg

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Ah yes, another awesome Genesis game. I'll never forget how much the graphics blew me away when I first saw Strider on Genesis. Ah man the good old days.

rrr_img_37506.jpg
rrr_img_37507.jpg
rrr_img_37508.jpg
rrr_img_37509.png
rrr_img_37510.jpg

Szlia

As far as I am concerned, Symphony of the Night single-handedly killed the Castlevania franchise. Just before it you had Castlevenia IV (or however you want to call the one on SNES/SFC) and Dracula X (or however you want to call the one on Super CD-Rom^2) two absolutely brilliantgamesfor totally different reasons, that never get the sequels they deserved because of the poor man's Metroid that is Symphony of the Night. Worse, we got 761235 sequels of Symphony of the Night, each one less inspired than the next, to the point the whole "platforming exploration with new abilities allowing to reach new places" became metroidvania. The worst thing is that I played them all...

Some people would say that the franchise has recently been reborn by becoming the poor man's God of War, but yeah... I'll still fume over the sequel that never were and the soiled Metroid legacy.

rrr_img_37540.png

rrr_img_37541.png

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I loved Castlevania IV (part of the golden age of SNES gaming, as far as I'm concerned), but SOTN blew my tits off.
It is easily one of the most polished and satisfyinggamesI have ever played, and I don't think I will ever get bored of it.
The huge castle to explore, the countless weapons and items to collect and mess around with, the clever bosses, the incredible enemy design, the secrets... oh, the secrets! SOTN set a new standard for whatvideogamesare capable of achieving and deserves every ounce of praise attributed to it and more. It was so well-designed, even all its successors that followed the exact same formula were incredibly fun to play. An absolute masterpiece.
You could rightfully say that without Super Metroid (another classic from the golden age) there would be no SOTN, but as much as I love Super Metroid it just isn't as tight (control-wise), freeing, or ultimately satisfying as SOTN is. SOTN took the outstanding foundation created by Super Metroid and ramped it up to the Nth degree. I want to name my first three children "Symphony of the Night".

rrr_img_37548.jpg

rrr_img_37549.jpg

rrr_img_37550.jpg

rrr_img_37551.jpg

rrr_img_37552.jpg

rrr_img_37553.jpg

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Speaking of masterpieces, Earthbound has been re-released on the virtual console!
An outstanding and relentlessly clever RPG absolutely worth playing if you haven't yet.
It has some bizarre flaws, such as each character in your party having his own very limited inventory (which works completely against the numerous items you will find that are only usable when repaired or combined with another item, wasting precious space in the meantime), an unnecessarily high miss rate (it doesn't matter how much a staple of RPGs it is, I can't fucking stand whiffing attacks), and the main character's habit of getting "homesick" where he flubs commands in battle until you call or visit your mom. But it is also sometimes brilliant, such as when you can kill underpowered enemies instantly (saving you from having to slog through a one-sided battle), it's filled with charming and memorable characters and locales, and it's a game that bends the fourth wall in one of the most clever ways I've seen in avideogame. Oh, and there's a part when your character's brains are transferred into robot bodies, which actually felt a lot creepier than I expected. You can also scour the desert area to find a couple of talking sesame seeds. Oh, and one of the characters you meet is a walking, talking dungeon. And there's one part where your martial artist character undergoes some intense meditative training that kind of freaked me out. Oh, yeah! I almost forgot to mention the soundtrack, which is unlike any other RPG but absolutely incredible. So much win in this game. So much win.

rrr_img_37557.png

rrr_img_37558.png

rrr_img_37559.jpg

rrr_img_37560.jpg

rrr_img_37561.png

rrr_img_37562.png

Siliconemelons

I am one of those gamers that just does not "like" Earthbound... and I get it... ehhh

But I am a huge CV nerd... and to say that after SOTN nothing was good, imo would not be all that correct-

Circle of the Moon suffered from color issues on the advance- playing it on a DSlite or emu fixes all this- but yes on the orig GB Advance it was turrble- but all in all it was a great game.

Harmony of Dissonance was great, tons of secrets and was a great follow up to CV1 and 2

then Aria of Sorrow - how can you NOT like this game? If you liked SOTN?

813966-aria_of_sorrow_wp.jpg

Dawn of Sorrow was an okay follow up- its plot explored some fun ideas and had some great alternate game modes- but was very hurt by the OMG DS gimmick.

Portrait of Ruin - great idea and a followup to Bloodlines (shouldn't that be in your happy list of pre-sotn masterpeices!) but overall not executed very well

Order of Ecclecia imo was a great game, and somewhat confirms my theory of post- SOTN Dracula resurrections -

Lord of Darkness series - I love it, a great reboot or retelling trilogy however you want to look at it. I very much look forward to LoS2 soon!

And did you play the PSP 2.5D remake of Drac X? it was...okay- I am still not a big Drac-X fan... but of the orig CV game 2 is my favorite not 3 like most people ;-)

Simons Quest bitches!

screenshot-nes-castlevania-ii-simons-quest-3.jpg

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I dunno, I always thought Castlevania 2 wasterrible. Maybe part of the reason I hated it was because I didn't play it during my "infinite patience" childhood phase, so I was well past the point where I could forgive its many glaring flaws. Obtuse clues that mean nothing, things you could literally never figure out what to do without hearing it from an outside source, that motherfucking 30-second long "What a terrible night for a curse" interruption every time night falls... blech.

Give me Castlevania 3 with multiple unique playable characters (Grant Dynasty is da bomb), branching paths and challenging but straightforward levels any day.
I did think it strange that Nintendo Power gave this game "Best Graphics" in their NP awards, when almost all the backgrounds look like they're formed of broken, almost randomly arranged tiles, though.

rrr_img_37638.jpg

rrr_img_37639.png

rrr_img_37640.gif

rrr_img_37641.gif

rrr_img_37642.jpg

rrr_img_37643.gif

Siliconemelons

CV3 is good, I did enjoy my playthough but ehh.. I just like 2 better... 2 is also in a way, a Metroidvania hehe. CV2 is a game that I playthrough every now and then- same with SOTN.

I think what I do not like about CV3 and DracX is... well it is what people love about it, I suppose.

I don't like that I play the game, from stage 1 to stage 2 fork 3b fork 4a fork 5c end ... then I play the game AGAIN to do stage 1, 2 fork 3a! ETC ETC ETC ETC- I like how in CV2 and SOTN/Metroidvania all the "paths" are there, you can go back and explore and do them without the need of redoing the game, or going back to the start of the linear stage.

For fun multi characters- Dawn of Sorrow Julies/Alucard/Chick(forgot name haha) mode is quite fun, and imo is a more fun final fight than the "real" final fight haha

As for earthbound, I suppose I was taking the game to seriously... I should give it another shot just because.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
As far as I am concerned, Symphony of the Night single-handedly killed the Castlevania franchise. Just before it you had Castlevenia IV (or however you want to call the one on SNES/SFC) and Dracula X (or however you want to call the one on Super CD-Rom^2) two absolutely brilliantgamesfor totally different reasons, that never get the sequels they deserved because of the poor man's Metroid that is Symphony of the Night. Worse, we got 761235 sequels of Symphony of the Night, each one less inspired than the next, to the point the whole "platforming exploration with new abilities allowing to reach new places" became metroidvania. The worst thing is that I played them all...

Some people would say that the franchise has recently been reborn by becoming the poor man's God of War, but yeah... I'll still fume over the sequel that never were and the soiled Metroid legacy.
SOTN is the best platform game ever, end of discussion.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, my best friend and I were stuck on Simon's Quest for like 2 months before we found out how to pass a certain part. I forget which part, but I remember standing at some dead end and you had to do some obscure bullshit. I don't' remember how we finally figured it out and/or heard how to do it. Life before the internet!

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Yeah, my best friend and I were stuck on Simon's Quest for like 2 months before we found out how to pass a certain part. I forget which part, but I remember standing at some dead end and you had to do some obscure bullshit. I don't' remember how we finally figured it out and/or heard how to do it. Life before the internet!
Inverting the castle in SOTN, same thing for me.

Siliconemelons

SOTN had some decent hints on what to do, some of the followinggameshowever got a wee bit obscure - I think it was HoD? or AoS... Aria was you basically equipped all the stuff to make you like Dracula as much as possible hehe it was quite cool- HoD is a good game I have missed... TO MY ROM COLLECTION!

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
SOTN killed the Castlevania series? Are you on crack? Super Castlevania 4 and Dracula X are fantastic Castlevaniagamesbut dude c'mon SOTN is the pinnacle of Castlevaniagames. You have every single aspect of every single 2-D Castlevania game in one game and don't forget the greatest Castlevania soundtrack ever. Wake up.

rrr_img_37540.png

rrr_img_37541.png

Szlia

and don't forget the greatest Castlevania soundtrack ever.
I am afraid that award also goes to Castlevania IV and by a significant margin. Oddly, a guy named Taro Kudo did the music for it and Axelay as his only twovideogame music credits and they are two of the best scores invideogame history. You figure that out...

And I'll not even entertain the notion that any Castlevania, even among the ones I love, is anywhere near the bests when it comes to platforming (a plumber guy, his pet dinosaur and that lesser known girl with a fishing line would take serious offense).

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Umihara Kawase!!
Never got the Super Famicom version, but I do have the PSP version. I think it's extreme difficulty and very-hard-to-get-used-to control scheme keep it from being accessible enough to be considered among the best platformers, but it certainly has its charm.

rrr_img_37677.jpg

rrr_img_37678.png

rrr_img_37679.jpg

rrr_img_37680.jpg

Also, an outstanding track from Axelay: