Retro Gaming Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if retro enough for the retro thread but the kids and I set up a retro pi this week and played through the first Jumping Flash on PS1. If you haven't checked that one out it is a fun little vertical platformer that launched with the system. Also, if you have an extra PS3/PS4 controller a rasberry pi 3b with retro pi installed is amazing for the price.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
I 100%ed Link to the Past in one life in one sitting on multiple occasions. Outstanding game.
Definitely in my top 5 of best Zelda games ever. Here's my top 5 Zelda games in no particular order (that I played). What about you guys?

- Wind Waker (Wii U remake)
- Ocarina of Time (N64)
- A Link to the Past (SNES)
- Twilight Princess (Wii U remake)
- The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Skyward Sword would have made my top 5 list if it wasn't for the terrible motion controls.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
My hot take is that Link to the Past is the best one followed by Wind Waker, Majoras Mask, ZELDA 2, then Ocarina of Time

I however never have played Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword

Szlia

Okay I used to have a racing game, or maybe it was just a car game, on Sega. I don't think it was a 32x game as nothing looked familiar on the list I checked.

The game had two cars that you could choose I think. One was called Roadster. I don't really remember if you actually raced beyond doing time trials or not, but you could design your own tracks with huge loops and such.

Does anybody have any idea what it would have been called?
99% chance that you are talking about Race Drivin'

Commiserations...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
OK, time for something positive.

Name an NES game. If I own it, I'll play it.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Crystalis is the first one that popped into my head.
Weird thing about Crystalis. I remember reading about it as this hidden gem of a NES game, an uncommon but apparently high quality action/rpg hybrid. I also remember a port of it being released for GameBoy Color and hoping I might find it somewhere so I could familiarize myself with the game. Oddly enough, I was looking through my NES games several years back and was actually kind of surprised to discover that I had owned Crystalis for actually quite a while. It must have slipped in under the radar. I've played it once before for a few hours and remember enjoying it. Seems like a good choice!

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Definitely in my top 5 of best Zelda games ever. Here's my top 5 Zelda games in no particular order (that I played). What about you guys?

- Wind Waker (Wii U remake)
- Ocarina of Time (N64)
- A Link to the Past (SNES)
- Twilight Princess (Wii U remake)
- The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Skyward Sword would have made my top 5 list if it wasn't for the terrible motion controls.
Link to the Past followed by Zelda 1 and 2. Unfortunately never played Majora's Mask nor Ocarina due to not having an N64.

On a non-retro related note, also playing GTA V every now and then, a bit of EQ on steam, replaying Okami and Skyrim for which I've nearly 1000 hours. Love that game.

Szlia

After seeing Tanoomba casually dealing with so many NES games, I must counter-brag and say I just reached (once again) the credits of Tetris 2 + Bombliss on NES playing Tetris B mode in speed 29 height 5... (I have a save that lets me directly attempt it and it still took a while an many tries, but still... feels good!).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Weird thing about Crystalis. I remember reading about it as this hidden gem of a NES game, an uncommon but apparently high quality action/rpg hybrid. I also remember a port of it being released for GameBoy Color and hoping I might find it somewhere so I could familiarize myself with the game. Oddly enough, I was looking through my NES games several years back and was actually kind of surprised to discover that I had owned Crystalis for actually quite a while. It must have slipped in under the radar. I've played it once before for a few hours and remember enjoying it. Seems like a good choice!

It really deserves a full play through if you haven't done one yet.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
All this guy's videos (including his extensive and detailed GameBoy reviews) are fantastic, but he does a really good job breaking down Super Mario Bros.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I was in the mood to play a shitty game yesterday so I gave Harley's Humongous Adventure for the SNES the ol' college try. (I played at a friend's house, so there's no stream.)

Honestly, it was nowhere near as bad as I'd remembered. I mean, it's still thoroughly mediocre, with unoriginal gameplay and exceptionally bland graphics, but it also was not without its charm. Occasionally it makes fun use of its premise (being shrunken in a regular house) with things such as terrain formed of open binders (complete with chomping center ring) and staplers that act like springboards (ejecting a staple every time you land on them). There was an effort made to include some variety in the game, in the form of a couple of timed levels, a level where you drive a tank, and one bit where you have to push a sponge into bath water, then run on it to work up foam until you generate a large enough bubble to ride to the upper part of the stage. You can find ammo for a variety of weapons that behave in different ways (nails, marbles, thumbtacks, rubber bands, etc), and choosing the right weapon for the right situation while managing you ammo isn't as annoying as I thought it would be.

It's too bad everything looks like ass, though. The sprites seem to be trying to look like they're made of clay, but their design is more grotesque and off-putting than anything else. There's one boss who you have to fight several times, but each time you destroy more of his body. After you obliterate his arms and legs, you blow off the top half of his head (which is replaced by a cannon for the final encounter). Weird stuff.

The game's not overly difficult, especially once I realized I could climb walls using the jetpack button (a move that's necessary to progress in one level but which the game does nothing to inform you about). You are rewarded for exploring with lives, ammo and power-ups, but eventually you can stock up enough lives and weapons to not feel pressured into searching every nook and cranny (lives stop accumulating after 9, a trait that has always bugged me). I doubt I'll have any reason to ever come back to this game again, but I've always been a fan of platformers and this one was at least somewhat entertaining.

harleys-humongous-adventure-04.png

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wait, people are talking about Crystalis? That game is great! It's one I go back to every few years and run through again. It does have a few spots where it's easy to just have no fucking clue what to do next but overall I rank it very highly among games in the NES library. It's got some iconic music and a cast of characters you actually give a shit about.

Don't use the 2nd controller warp cheat (you hold I forget which buttons on the second controller and you warp to a sequence of eight or so different locations) and it'll break some of the game's scripts and force you to warp around more to try and finish the game.