Revisiting classics

Juvarisx

Florida
Re-watched "The Third Man" the other day, the Ferris wheel scene is still brilliant dialogue but I sometimes get frustrated thinking the younger generations soon won't even bother.

Never saw citizen kane, havent seen gone with the wind or casablanca either. Not sure why. I think because those movies have been so hyped, I am worried my expectations will be too high to enjoy them.
I would try Citizen Kane if you have an interest in film making, the techniques used were so revolutionary that you can really appreciate it more. That's not to say everything in the film isn't great because in my opinion it is, but even if you think you have hyped yourself up too much for it you can at least appreciate the direction. Gone with the Wind and Casablanca are classic old hollywood movies, if you think it might be something you could enjoy you probably won't be disappointed regardless of hype.

One suggestion for you Chuk is to try to watch Vertigo which is a Hitchcock film if you haven't, I think it would be something you would enjoy. I get the feeling you have but why the hell not suggest it anyways.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
third man is another on my todo list. and i fucking love film noir. i eat that shit up. i have read all raymond chandler books and have seen the film adaptions. i really should check it out. vertigo i have not seen along with north by northwest and shipwreck. yet i love me some alfred hitchcock films. seen all his other movies, even the crappy and low budget ones he did early in his career. its like i have a mental block about certain movie classics. some of them i got half ruined because film retrospectives show the best parts and its like they are telling me, hey look, this dude is scared of heights and check out the groovy camera effects! hey dummy look at these dutch angles and high contrast blacks and whites, why havent you seen this yet? im like, fuck off, ill check those out someday. crazy i know.

yet i will track down and watch every single lon chaney sr film except hunchback of notre dame and phantom of the opera. i have seen them, but that was only years later and i couldnt enjoy them for myself because everyone always references and reiterates its iconic moments like thats all that happened. when i got into buster keaton, it was completely fresh and only because amc had a marathon of all his films. i had never seen his stuff previously(actually i had but didnt realize the house falling on a dude gag was him). harold lloyd? all i ever think of when i hear his name mentioned is that image of him hanging off a clockface on a tall building, which by the way he was never in any danger. i have since seen that film and it was just ok. i liked his other lesser known films better.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Watching The Good The Bad and The Ugly for the first time. Pretty much awesome as eff.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Watching The Good The Bad and The Ugly for the first time. Pretty much awesome as eff.
The best use of music in a film ever!!

To add for the thread. Back in the day the family watched through a load of the old Charlie Chaplin movies.

Really good comedy just works, despite the decades.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I have so many of these on VHS, damn perhaps its time to find a VCR.

Do you guys still have VHS tapes? i want to get rid of them but i dont have the heart to send them to the dump,

Oh Tommy boy VHS, how many times have i watched you??

Caliane

Re-watched "The Third Man" the other day, the Ferris wheel scene is still brilliant dialogue but I sometimes get frustrated thinking the younger generations soon won't even bother.

I would try Citizen Kane if you have an interest in film making, the techniques used were so revolutionary that you can really appreciate it more. That's not to say everything in the film isn't great because in my opinion it is, but even if you think you have hyped yourself up too much for it you can at least appreciate the direction. Gone with the Wind and Casablanca are classic old hollywood movies, if you think it might be something you could enjoy you probably won't be disappointed regardless of hype.

One suggestion for you Chuk is to try to watch Vertigo which is a Hitchcock film if you haven't, I think it would be something you would enjoy. I get the feeling you have but why the hell not suggest it anyways.
yeah, Kane is more academic. I don't think I would really recommend it to anyone else. But if you know about long shots, and the like. go for it. Probably more enjoyable these days to have someone to point out some of the stuff.

Casablanca on the other hand is just plain amazing. I think that holds up entirely, and everyone should watch it.

Not the oldest, but I watch Flash Gordan twice a year at least.