Robin Hobb - New Fitz/Fool Trilogy

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haven't read the Liveship Traders stuff, so didn't know that.
It's not 'quite' as good as the Fitz/Fool stuff, but it's good background for the world building / magic knowledge / history of the world, and while Fitz and the fool are really well fleshed out characters (Chade, Verity, and Kettricken are ok too) all the other supporting cast is pretty 2-dimensional. Liveship traders is definitely more of an ensemble story, each and every character has a great arc and *spoiler alert* the fool is a fairly important character too, so it's not completely separated from the fitz/fool storyline, Liveship traders was a million times better than rain wild chronicles though because of the dragging/redundancy between the 3rd/4th book. But... rain wild chronicles DOES give you a kind of satisfying "conclusion" to several of the story arcs begun in liveship traders.

Erad

Trakanon Raider
For what it's worth, I've been reading fantasy voraciously since as long as I can remember, and The Fitz & Fool books are probably in my top 3 all time favorites.
I am in the same boat if not it being my #1. I've been reading these forums daily since the FoH days in 2001 and it took this thread, minus the posts to get into the screenshots thread heh, to get me to post. Love this series and recommend them to all my reading friends.

Like a few posts have said, I too had reservations about this book as I thought the ending of the Tawny Man Triology was perfect. That being said, this book was great and had some very unexpected twists.

G'day from Australia
smile.png

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Book #2 comes out in less than 2 months, so so hyped. More hyped than I was for Words of Radiance.

Sharinel

Golden Squire
The ARC is available on the usual sites in advance of the release. I will eventually buy the kindle edition but they are trying to skin me for 15 quid. U WOT M8? 22 of your US funny money for an e-book? Aye that'll be shining...

Malkav

French Madman
About 1/4th into, and god, the feels....

Beware of the spoiler

This whole chapter leading to Fitz being acknowledged again before the whole court....after all these years...

Malkav

French Madman
Just finished it.
Damn cliffhanger ending.

And I wanted to slap the Fool the whole book.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you didn't want to slap him, he wouldn't be the Fool, now would he?

Can't wait until my wife's done with the book so I can read it. heh.

Malkav

French Madman
If you didn't want to slap him, he wouldn't be the Fool, now would he?

Can't wait until my wife's done with the book so I can read it. heh.
Well I don't remember him being that annoying previously.
tongue.png

And I hope for you she isn't a slow reader, you're gonna enjoy it.
smile.png

Sharinel

Golden Squire
Nah, it was Fitz we all wanted to slap just for his incredible stupidity, Fool was the brains of the team... until this book

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
They both have their moments. I'll reserve judgement until I read this one, though.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Just finished it (I know, I'm a little behind). I agree with the sentiment regarding the Fool; I strongly disliked him throughout this one. It felt less like he was trying to push Fitz for the greater good and more like him just being a whiny bitch.

Hobb still knows how to hit the feels though. Damned if I didn't smile at
Fitz being acknowledged as a Farseer
and downright cheer at
Verity's line about helping the wolf's cub after what he had done for his offspring.

Erad

Trakanon Raider
Assassin's Fate, Book 3 of the Fitz and Fool trilogy, is due out on May 4th. Bring it on!

Malkav

French Madman
Sooo it's out.

Anyone care to post a refresher regarding the end of the previous book? Remember well enough what happened to Bee so had no problem with the first chapter, but once I got to Fitz chapter I was like "What the fuck is happening? Who the fuck are those people?"

I somehow completely forgot what happened to him and the Fool.

Spork

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Fitz & Fool are in the Elderling city of Kelsingra. They got there going though the pillars looking for Bee. Kelsingra and a lot of the other characters in this final book are not going to make a lot of sense if you skipped the Liveship and Rain Wild books.

Malkav

French Madman
Thanks.

I think some of the characters in Kelsingra were mentioned at the end of the previous Fitz book, but can't really remember them.
Totally skipped Liveship, and tried the first tome of Rain Wild but didn't get into it.

Spork

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I skipped Liveship the first time too. I wanted to get back into Fitz's story right away. Much later I went back and read them. Really enjoyed and regret skipping. But at least I'm glad I read them before Assassin's Fate because it totally spoils everything in the Liveship and Rainwild series. =/

Rime

<Donor>
It has been out in the UK for over a week. You can get it through the 'usual' backalley sources in the US.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Anyone read it and have opinions on the trilogy as a whole? I've been avoiding this trilogy so far since I thought Fool's Fate was pretty much as perfect an ending to a fantasy series as has ever been written, and I don't want to ruin that (and Hobb, while a huge favorite of mine, does tend to be a bit hit/miss), but if the general consensus is that she somehow manages to top Tawny Man with this trilogy then I'll dive into it.

I was in Dymocks yesterday and saw the whole trilogy on the shelf, with the awesome new cover art she's been rocking since the Rain Wilds books, and was so tempted to just grab the whole lot and read the weekend away. But.....