Robin Williams dead at 63...

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
No one is romanticizing anything. Death in general, and suicide as one of the more sad ones, fucking suck. However, there are things clearly worse than death to all of us. He found his limit and made a decision.
To paraphrase Dean Wermer: White Knighting someone's decision to kill themselves is no way to go through life, son.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't see how more people being alive is some absolute moral victory. Are we trying to reach a high score? People's lives are their own to do with as they please. They don't belong to you.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That mentality is the same one that leads people to be anti-abortion but then give fuckall after the babies are born. They could not care less about whether these guys are literally drugged out of their minds, locked away in jail, strapped down to beds or in straight jackets, or slowly degenerating to disease and illness. You're alive! Moral superiority!

How dare you think otherwise.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I loved Robin Williams and greatly lament his loss; he really was a genius. He no longer needs your compassion, though; it's the living towards which you should express those emotions.
It's not a zero sum game. It's possible to feel compassion for both.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
It's not a zero sum game. It's possible to feel compassion for both.
Any other obvious facts you want to get out of the way? You can feel "compassion" for anything. It only matters to the living; all of those people to whom Robin had a connection, and those people who loved and depended on him (not in a monetary but rather an emotional way).

I don't see how more people being alive is some absolute moral victory. Are we trying to reach a high score? People's lives are their own to do with as they please. They don't belong to you.
I don't mean this personally but this has to be the stupidest thing I have read today. Who expressed ownership over someone's life? Whether I think its right or wrong doesn't matter; for the overwhelming majority of suicides, its a poor choice forthemselvesin addition to the ones they love.

If suicide this grand neutral choice, why do we as a society spend any time trying to stop people from doing it? What about young gay people going through a rough patch? Those people who are bullied, coming out of a tough breakup, etc.: Should we "respect" their decisions, too?

Sure, there are indeed some people around which their decision is at least comprehensible, if not wrong: those people at the end stages of extreme degenerative illnesses, etc. Those kinds of suicides aren't the ones that constitute a vast majority of people killing themselves, though.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
lol @ people thinking they understand other people, or can somehow relate to these things. Seriously, it's pointless. My sister is bi-polar, manic. Best friend of twenty years is manic, manic-depressive. They are not normal people. I've been through depression, but I'm certainly not bi-polar, nor am I manic/manic-depressive. Their depression comes and goes like the wind. One minute they're perfectly normal people, the next they're telling you you're a shit-bag loser for no reason other than you've been sitting on their couch for one too many minutes (or whatever reasoning their mind came up with at the time). My friend acts in a way very similar to Robin Williams. Generally a hyperactive funny guy.

Don't pretend like you know what they're going through, it's honestly insulting. Similarly, I won't ever pretend like I know what anyone else is going through. The best thing I could ever do for either of them (my sister and friend), is to be as normal, stable as I can around them. Even when their windfury proc's and they rage at me for no reason. They appreciate that more than everyone else who try to diagnose or "treat" them. You're not a fucking doctor and they didn't ask for your fucking help.
Borderline personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

vs.

Bipolar disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your description of Bipolar Disorder is completely wrong.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
If suicide this grand neutral choice, why do we as a society spend any time trying to stop people from doing it? What about young gay people going through a rough patch? Those people who are bullied, coming out of a tough breakup, etc.: Should we "respect" their decisions, too?
Money. We shit on it because money.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Who expressed ownership over someone's life?
You did.
ultimately selfish act
Their life is not communal property. Their potential future contributions to others' lives are not owed. Unless either of those becomes true it is selfish to expect them to live in misery for anyone else's benefit.
If suicide this grand neutral choice, why do we as a society spend any time trying to stop people from doing it?
Because we, as a society, are retarded? Let evolution sort out the people incapable of dealing with life. If enough young idiots kill themselves then our collective gene pool will slowly possess fewer individuals willing to do so. Alternatively we can just dope everyone, which seems to be the current fix for handling reality. Anti-depressant consumption is at an all-time high and likely to continue rising.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some people keep work and their private life separate. Robin Williams was one. I guess that is really all there is to say about that. Sucks, he was a great comedian and I've rehashed his work more than a couple times to younger generations, always giving props where props are due. Club Paradise is easily one of the worst/greatest movies of my childhood =/

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I just rewatched Dead Poets Society and Patch Adams, and I think it has finally hit me just how much a part of my life Robin Williams has been. I'm not saying on the level of anyone I know personally, obviously, but as far as "celebrities" go, this is the first one that has really made me genuinely sad. Looking over the parts he has played, I've seen a great majority of them, and from Mork and Mindy on he has been a fairly consistent contributor to my laughter, sadness, inspiration, pretty much every emotion out there. I'm not saying I'm falling apart over his death, but I feel his loss more than I expected I would, and it saddens me that I will never have anything new from him ever again. I'm not going to get into the whole suicide debate, but I hope it really was a rational decision on his part and not due to his mental illness.

No point to this post I guess, other than to say yet again that I will miss him, more than I thought I would initially. I hope he is remembered as a truly inspirational man.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Man, this thread makes me wanna kill myself. Well, also a bunch of other issues in my life. But if I was gonna end it all now, I'd definitely just leave this url as my suicide note.