Russia Appreciation Thread

Just read the rest of this shitpile. there isn't an aspect of Russian history that he didnt mangle or get wrong. Unfunny, poorly researched and desperate to make jokes which repeatedly miss by a mile.
V4NtoEu.jpg

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I mean let's start with his very first historical assertion

The first ruler of Old Russia was the Viking Prince Ryurik. Imagine being so disorganized that you need marauding Vikings to found your nation-them with their battle axes, crazed pillaging, riotous Meade Hall feasts, and horns on their helmets. (Actually, Vikings didn't wear horns on their helmets-but they would have if they'd thought of it, just like they would have worn meade helmets if they'd thought of it.) Some government it must have been.
Did PJ forget how his ancestral land of Great Britain was founded? Hint: it was the vikings.

The rest is even worse.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Lleauric is particularly butthurt by Russia. It must have touched him in his no-no place when he was a kid.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
That article was pretty fucking bad. The parts where the author is obviously trying to be witty were particularly cringe worthy and that's not even going into the spin he tries to put on history. Dude starts with a gem such as while the west was going thru the dark age, the ruskies were savage and disorganized herders... what the fuck, are we supposed to say way to go Europe? It doesn't get any better from there, I've read most of it out morbid curiosity and now I feel like I've been hit on the head a few times.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I mean let's start with his very first historical assertion

Did PJ forget how his ancestral land of Great Britain was founded? Hint: it was the vikings.

The rest is even worse.
Actually, it is my understanding...

The guys who went to Russia (what we'd consider Ukraine and Baltic areas really, but the family spread) was Scandiwegian-Vikings as part of the second expansion in the 8th and 9th century.

The ones who originally invaded England were Germanic-"Vikings" in the first expansion in the 4th century, right after the fall of the local Romans. The were "re-invaded" during the second expansion by the Scani-Vikings, but one could argue that had less impact overall than the German-"Vikings".

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Anglo-Saxons are pretty great. I'd be up for being Korean so I could be descended from a bear and be angsty about all the land that is ours but occupied by others.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Pretty much all "Anglo-Saxons" are Brythonic Celts with a trace of Angle/Saxon/Jute bloodanyway. If you go to the strongest areas of Anglo-Saxon settlement (SE England basically) and look at the genetics in the parts ofthatarea...you get about 20% Germanic-derived genetics, with the remaining ~80% being Brythonic Celtic (Welsh/Cornish/Breton/etc). Go outside of there and it starts rapidly going up past 90% Brythonic.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Pretty much all "Anglo-Saxons" are Brythonic Celts with a trace of Angle/Saxon/Jute bloodanyway. If you go to the strongest areas of Anglo-Saxon settlement (SE England basically) and look at the genetics in the parts ofthatarea...you get about 20% Germanic-derived genetics, with the remaining ~80% being Brythonic Celtic (Welsh/Cornish/Breton/etc). Go outside of there and it starts rapidly going up past 90% Brythonic.
Sure, but it was cultural as much as anything. If it wasn't for those ancient German's you'd all be like the Scots, and no one wants that.
wink.png

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Can someone explain to me the difference between the Normans, the Scots, the Anglos, the Picts, and the Cimmerians please? I always got so confused when I was reading Conan books as a kid.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Can someone explain to me the difference between the Normans, the Scots, the Anglos, the Picts, and the Cimmerians please? I always got so confused when I was reading Conan books as a kid.
Normans are invaders from France 1066 (Normandy). The Scots = The Picts. (Savages above Hadrian's Wall). Anglos/Saxons are invaders from the first great invasion around the time of the collapse of the Roman Empire. The original people were the Britains, (see Boudica) Cimmerians are fictional, but probably based on Mongols/Huns mixed with Nordic setting.?

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Pretty good, but you missed that Normans were actually descendants of Vikings (Norman = North Man) who invaded Brittany (Brythonic Celts), rather than actual Frenchmen (Franks).