Saltburn (2023)

kroenen

Regimen Morum
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Saltburn (2023)

Tagline: You’ll never leave.

Genre: Drama, Thriller, Comedy

Director: Emerald Fennell

Cast: Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi, Rosamund Pike, Richard E. Grant, Alison Oliver, Archie Madekwe, Carey Mulligan, Paul Rhys, Lolly Adefope, Sadie Soverall, Millie Kent, Aleah Aberdeen, Julian Lloyd Patten, Olivia Hanrahan-Barnes, Liam Edwards, Reece Shearsmith, Richard Cotterell, Joshua Samuels, Ewan Mitchell, Michelle Thomas, Will Gibson, Tomás Barry, Andy Brady, Saga Spjuth-Säll, Gabriel Bisset-Smith, Maud Druine

Release: 2023-11-24

Runtime: 127

Plot: Struggling to find his place at Oxford University, student Oliver Quick finds himself drawn into the world of the charming and aristocratic Felix Catton, who invites him to Saltburn, his eccentric family’s sprawling estate, for a summer never to be forgotten.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I am sure there is an audience for this movie and that if you gathered each and every one of those people in a common place you might, juuussst might, be able to fill a theatre.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
That thumbnail pic had me sincerely believing this movie for some reason had a badly de-aged or facial prosthetic'd David Duchovny. Please tell me I'm not the only one that sees it.

1698437272240.png

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I am sure there is an audience for this movie and that if you gathered each and every one of those people in a common place you might, juuussst might, be able to fill a theatre.

"But are its squirm-inducing visuals – a character slurping another’s cummy bathwater, a literally cocky ending – the mark of perverse genius, or cheap, hollow tricks masquerading as it?"

Wtf are you on about

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Watching this now, I thought it was going to be like Talented Mr Ripley meets Euphoria but it's fairly dull so far

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Very much akin to Talented Mr Ripley. Solid film if that passes your interest

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Very much akin to Talented Mr Ripley. Solid film if that passes your interest

It's way too homo erotic for all the closet big brains on this board. And I turned it off before the degeneracy started

• 1Worf

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Style over substance. The visuals are fantastic and the acting is wonderful but the story didn't sit right with me.

Was the ending supposed to be a suprise?! By the reveal i was like "yeah no duh."

His motivations didn't really click with me. He's not poor. The family he killed weren't evil. In fact the only person that really threatened him was still alive by the end.

Did i miss something thru the accents? It feels like she wrote all these cinematic moments and had to write a story around them. Fine.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Style over substance. The visuals are fantastic and the acting is wonderful but the story didn't sit right with me.

Was the ending supposed to be a suprise?! By the reveal i was like "yeah no duh."

His motivations didn't really click with me. He's not poor. The family he killed weren't evil. In fact the only person that really threatened him was still alive by the end.

Did i miss something thru the accents? It feels like she wrote all these cinematic moments and had to write a story around them. Fine.

Ending killed it for me.

Proper ending would have been the butler saying "I think that's enough sir" during the music dance. The music cuts off as soon as the butler kills him abruptly. Cut. The end.

As soon as I got to the ending, an ending with 0 consequence, and as you said, 0 real motivations for the entire ordeal-- I knew Ossoi Ossoi had made the right decision in shutting it off.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I knew Ossoi Ossoi had made the right decision in shutting it off.

I switched it off not knowing where the plot was going. I've since read what actually happens and am much more intrigued, I thought it was going to be Talented Mr Ripley meets Brokeback Mountain. I'm actually tempted to put it back on and pay attention properly.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Ending killed it for me.

Proper ending would have been the butler saying "I think that's enough sir" during the music dance. The music cuts off as soon as the butler kills him abruptly. Cut. The end.

As soon as I got to the ending, an ending with 0 consequence, and as you said, 0 real motivations for the entire ordeal-- I knew Ossoi Ossoi had made the right decision in shutting it off.
I thought the same thing ...
...About having the Butler kill him.

I think there are ways this story could've been tweaked to make it work. You'd have to re arrange the death order... And they should've died as one by one as they learned about him or tried to have him kicked out. Don't kill his main squeeze first. The mom last? I barely even register her connection with Oliver.

Make his motivation clear. Since they try and disguise that he's not a psycho doesn't really flow when he's licking drains, eating periods, and fucking mounds of dirt.

Go all in or be more subtle.

nu_11

I thought the same thing ...
...About having the Butler kill him.

I think there are ways this story could've been tweaked to make it work. You'd have to re arrange the death order... And they should've died as one by one as they learned about him or tried to have him kicked out. Don't kill his main squeeze first. The mom last? I barely even register her connection with Oliver.

Make his motivation clear. Since they try and disguise that he's not a psycho doesn't really flow when he's licking drains, eating periods, and fucking mounds of dirt.

Go all in or be more subtle.
Its obvious that the mom's "connection" to Oliver is that Oliver's presence is her last connection to her dead children.

Im seeing a lot of people disappointed that the movie doesnt have a "message". It seems that FOH is probably having the same problem. For example,
that Oliver shouldve been killed by the butler (presumably because bad guys shouldnt be allowed to win and you want the butler to dispense justice).

I honestly dont expect ALL movies to have a message or provide moral justifications. The movie is a story about a sociopath who found, I think what he called,
"some lions with their bellies up".

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database