School of Fast Progression in Downsizing and Radical Flying

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, so in Florida. DeLand is the place to avoid if you want to just chill, have fun and skydive. Cliqueish as people there are actually training for events. I can get that so I didn't really go there. I am at the point where I generally don't like to skydive with the intention of it being a zoo and not learning something.

Austin has the issue of having two smaller dropzones, one that doesn't really give a shit about fun jumpers and the other that, while I like it, has insane cliqueish mentality going on. This has a lot to do with the Tunnel HQ being in Austin. So you either A.) know the right people and get free tunnel time constantly and are in the club or B.) Pay up like a pleb and hope you can join them sometimes.

Its generally okay if you're belly flying with people but if you want to progress freefly and you're not a tunnelbro... you're kinda fucked. Which I find shitty and I have like 10 hours in the tunnel. Just not 30+ like these assholes.

Spaceland has like 10x more people hanging around at any given time so you don't have as big of an issue with it. Skydive City, Sebastian, Jump Florida, Clewiston... I never had these problems at all.

I jump at DeLand. Definitely a divide between less experienced jumpers like myself and 90℅ of the other people there who are with groups or training as you've said. It's gotten a little dull for me as I consider my experience level to be no man's land. It seems you either have 100's of jumps and your jumping with your bros or you're the guy jumping rented gear sitting in the front of the plane. Spending the day at the DZ jumping by yourself gets kinda isolating and boring.

We're getting a new ifly facility with two tunnels this year. Tunnel time is just so expensive $$$$$$$

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I jump at DeLand. Definitely a divide between less experienced jumpers like myself and 90℅ of the other people there who are with groups or training as you've said. It's gotten a little dull for me as I consider my experience level to be no man's land. It seems you either have 100's of jumps and your jumping with your bros or you're the guy jumping rented gear sitting in the front of the plane. Spending the day at the DZ jumping by yourself gets kinda isolating and boring.

We're getting a new ifly facility with two tunnels this year. Tunnel time is just so expensive $$$$$$$

Start sucking some tunnelbro cock and you get loads of free hours! I absolutely hate the Austin Tunnel staff as they're all complete assholes to you... despite the fact that you're paying them money. It absolutely makes no sense.

So I stopped going.

Last edited:

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
I went skydiving once and the pressure in my ears hurt so damn bad. I'm afraid to go again and burst an eardrum.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I went skydiving once and the pressure in my ears hurt so damn bad. I'm afraid to go again and burst an eardrum.

Actual ear issues or are you unfamiliar with how to clear ear pressure?

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Actual ear issues or are you unfamiliar with how to clear ear pressure?
No, just the pressure, and I know how to clear them. At the time I didn't realize I was going to need to clear them... I had a lot going through my mind heh.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm in Austin too and couldn't agree more. The times I did tunnel (maybe a total of 2 hours), the people there were instantly SO defensive if you said you had done any sky diving. Instantly talking about how their turn styles were faster, better position, etc etc. And the guys that do ground school at San Marcus (twice, I can't stick with it and keep having to retake) just seem to hate their job. A few were cool, just most I rather never talk to. my 1st jump after a 3 year break, I land standing and on my second breath, enjoying the rush of my 1st jump in years, and guy starts talking about my exit and position. dude, give me a min to enjoy the rush!

I've driven down to San Marcus at least 3 times to find out I couldn't jump. Too windy, full and they don't tell me till i get there, "we're replacing the tires and plane won't be able to fly for a few hours", etc. Too much focus on business and not enough on CE.

i've done 15 or 17 jumps I think, and undeceided if I want to give it a 4th go. I've actually been thinking of saving up and getting a paramotor setup. $10k cost of entry, but I'm no longer dependent on shitty staff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm in Austin too and couldn't agree more. The times I did tunnel (maybe a total of 2 hours), the people there were instantly SO defensive if you said you had done any sky diving. Instantly talking about how their turn styles were faster, better position, etc etc. And the guys that do ground school at San Marcus (twice, I can't stick with it and keep having to retake) just seem to hate their job. A few were cool, just most I rather never talk to. my 1st jump after a 3 year break, I land standing and on my second breath, enjoying the rush of my 1st jump in years, and guy starts talking about my exit and position. dude, give me a min to enjoy the rush!

I've driven down to San Marcus at least 3 times to find out I couldn't jump. Too windy, full and they don't tell me till i get there, "we're replacing the tires and plane won't be able to fly for a few hours", etc. Too much focus on business and not enough on CE.

i've done 15 or 17 jumps I think, and undeceided if I want to give it a 4th go. I've actually been thinking of saving up and getting a paramotor setup. $10k cost of entry, but I'm no longer dependent on shitty staff.

I truly don't get why they're pricks. I have two other skydivers living in my house with me. One works at Tunnel HQ Corporate and she doesn't get it either. The people who are only good at the tunnel because they work at the tunnel all talk down you, and just trash people in private with their other tunnelbro idiots... for not being good in the tunnel which is why they're paying to learn. I mean. Huh? Fat chance I ever tip those pieces of shit. Enjoy your $10/hour losers.

Working in the industry when its not just a hobby has a toll on people. You top out at like $30k a year and live in a trailer on the DZ on the cheap. Its totally a cool job to have if you're in your early 20's. Shitty job to have later if you're like 35 and there's no way out. Sadly that is like half the staff at San Marcos. There's a few cool guys there. But in general they just want to punch the clock and hit the beer light at the end of the day. They give a fuck about anything else and it absolutely SHOWS. Tandems are where they make they're money. Not AFF students or recurrency jumpers.

For this reason I go to Lonestar Parachute Center down the street. Loads turn much faster (King Air turns loads very quickly) and the environment is generally better. Facilities are much worse though lol.