Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm sure they are charging customers for the fiber install, while collecting local, state and federal grant money to also pay for the install. Hell people in NY that still have verizon landlines have been paying a $1.95 more a month since 2009 because verizon was suppose to use that money to expand fios to the entire state and we all know that didn't happen. The huge amount of corruption in telecommunications industry astounds me

I think this will really help rural areas get connected. It sound pretty promising
Thurman, N.Y. White Space Rural Broadband Wins "Most Innovative Project Award"

And I hope that the wiredwest approach for fiber to the home takes off in more local communities. A public co-op is the only way that we'll expand fiber to the home in most of the country. Telecoms will ignore small towns because there is no profit in it for them.
I thought that Verizon Fios deal was just for NYC, not the entire state. IIRC NYC is suing Verizon for not holding up their end, but Verizon is arguing that they laid the fiber, but nobody wants to pay to hook up to it.

The Thurman project is awesome, I'd love to see more of that here.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I would settle for them giving me Fios. I would love for Time Warner to have some goddamn competition. The fastest alternative to TWC is Verizon DSL that tops out around 5 mbps.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm not really sure what to think about that deal. AT&T has so many issues to address with their Uverse and Internet technology I can only guess they are buying DirecTV for the cash which will hopefully be used to upgrade their copper to something a little more competitive.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I'm considering switching from Comcast to Verizon. My Comcast bill just went up to $65/month and Verizon FIOS dropped its price down to $45/month with a two year contract -- for the same download speed and symmetric upload speed (I don't even know what my UL speed is with Comcast, but it sucks).

My understanding is that my cable modem doesn't work on FIOS and I need to buy a new one. Can I buy a cheaper modem than the one Verizon is trying to sell me ($200 modem for a 25/25 plan)? (edit: actually, it looks like Verizon is trying to sell me a router. Is that a router + modem thing, or is it really just a router where I can use my existing one?)

Also, do I need to sign up for phone service on top of Internet? I was able to go through the web signup and have just the internet plan, but I was under the impression that phone service was needed for FIOS. If so, that'd bump up the monthly rate and potentially make it less attractive...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I dont think im fully ready to cut the cord yet. But I do want to get rid of my $140/month cable bill. I have uverse bundle, internet, phone and TV for about $250 per month. Im ready to cut the TV and phone and just keep the internet.

So I have been thinking about Dish for my TV. They are now offering $50 for 2 yrs of 120 channels including locals, plus $7 more for each other TV I have which I have 3. This also includes that hopper for the recording of live TV and stuff.

So ive been wondering about Dish? I had it in the past, about 1995ish, but when we moved to our new house I got rid of it. So any of you have it?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As if I didn't need another reason to hate Time Warner, they had some stupid fuck knock on my door loud enough to wake me up at 5 pm today (I work nights). They left behind a generic TW business card of some Direct Sales Representative and had written "waive old bills" and "free install" on it. I'm already a goddamn customer, though I would jump ship if I had any viable alternative. I can only assume this guy was going around the building knocking on doors since some renovated units have been filled recently.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So at&t pulled out of the area where I live.... no more DSL/Phone service at all... back to Sat Inet, till whatever monopoly comes along and tries to do something.(this is getting ridiculous)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If google wasn't getting cock blocked everywhere it'd probably be faster
It's not quite that simple, though. They want to use preexisting conduit, from what I was told by one of our contractors they don't want to push dirt so they constantly run into hiccups/snags/red-tape/etc. trying to get enough usage rights to make an entrance without investing seriously in infrastructure.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
With everything going on I forgot to post this the other day.

rrr_img_108473.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
On a side note, I can't imagin why you would need a 10GB connection other than for a huge network but I'm sure people will get it for personal use.