Shardlake

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Shardlake

Genre: Drama, Crime

First aired: 2024-05-01

Creator: Stephen Butchard, C. J. Sansom

Cast: Arthur Hughes, Anthony Boyle, Sean Bean, Babou Ceesay, Paul Kaye, Ruby Ashbourne Serkis, Peter Firth, Matthew Steer, Brian Vernel, Irfan Shamji, David Pearse

Overview: The year is 1536. Lawyer Matthew Shardlake finds his life turned upside down when Thomas Cromwell sends him to investigate a suspicious death at the remote monastery of Scarnsea. Deception, deceit, and corruption are rife as it soon becomes clear that the murder is not the first. Shardlake is drawn into a web of lies that threatens not only his integrity but his life.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Found it kind of randomly on Hulu.
Not the most ambitiously paced TV series, but rich and delicious with its Tudor setting. Acting is spectacular. Sean Bean doesn't die (that's not a spoiler).

It's a solid mystery, delivered the way a classic mystery should unfold. A murder (maybe two, three or four...) and the quirky detective whose relationship with discovering the truth is (seemingly) beyond conviction.

It's a great little series that can be nibbled away in only four episodes. I thought it was great, except for the big reveal. The reveal was handled in a classic way, but then...

Watch it. It's really quite good!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Sorry, that stupid title reads like Shartlake...

tumblr_mkpd4zSXLs1rglp07o1_400.gif

Another show I will never watch...

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

That's unavoidable. At least there weren't fat lesbians too.

And they said it a dozen times - "it's the reconstruction."
It's certainly avoidable, by not watching it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Szlia

Somehow these armchair historians who just want "credibility" never complain about the use of modern English language, just about the use of modern English people.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Burns

Language doesn't affect immersion nearly as much as various out of place visuals. Also, if they did 90% of the show in old English with subs, then had 1 character speaking modern English, you can bet your ass people would say something. Sort of in the same way Kevin Costner got plenty of flack for not having the right accent in Robinhood.

That said, I like reading subs for foreign films, as it improves my immersion and makes it more difficult to notice bad/wooden actors. Having a film/TV show in old English, the way Shogun uses old Japans would be wunderbar.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user
TV show information provided by The Movie Database