Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Let's keep the other threads clean of this issue.

Discuss.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I don't tip based on percentage. But I don't eat at expensive restaurants or drink at bars often. Also I don't pay for large groups of people.

I generally accept that no one want's to wait on me and waiting on me well is appreciated.

When I go out to eat I look at it as a gamble. I choose where I am eating, I choose what I eat. If the food was poor lesson learned, it's not the waiters fault, I won't eat that or eat there again. I don't factor in food quality into the tip.

I tip $5 as a base tip. I leave that for everything. Pizza delivery gets 5, if I have coffee and a piece of pie you get 5, any food order under $30 you get 5 as a base tip.

Do you ever see the bottle of my beverage? Are you funny? Steer me towards the better choice? Do you ask if I want my bill when you take my clean plate? If you do any one of these things chances are you get a much larger tip. Do them all and I don't see anything wrong with leaving even a 50% tip.

I also assume that there are pricks out there that don't tip and factor that in.

I ordered pizza once and it took just over 2 hours. I was starving by the time it got to me. The driver was young, he explained that it was his first night and he looked like he was going to shit himself if he got yelled at by 1 more customer. I gave him $5 and thanked him for the pizza.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Tip according to service. If you refuse to tip on principle you're a faggot.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
20% if service is good. I'll go down to 10% if service is really slow or they fuck several things up and don't compensate well for it. If the waitress is badass and I never even come close to running out of beer/alcohol, then I'll go up to 30%-50% range.

I've only ever not tipped at all once, and that's when we had to leave a mexican restaurant because a waitress tripped and dumped a whole tray full of salsa bowls down my back. Got the food to go(mine was comped) and went home. No tip.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Servers: Basic 15%, no questions asked. could go up to to 50% if you're amazing, but I don't care if you give me my food and I never see you again, 15%. I'm not you, and for all I know this is a shitty night.

Delivery. This usually depends on a couple conditions. Baseline is 2 bucks. Depending on weather it could go higher. We ordered some Pizza during the last snow storm, and even though the guy was 15 minutes late, I gave him a $20 tip on a $15 pizza.

Bagel/Coffee/Chipotle/Pretty much wherever has a tip jar: Whatever change is in my pocket, excluding 75 cents that I might need for an emergency.

Bartenders: 1 dollar a drink. More if it's a friend, but I tend to drink a lot when I'm out.

Free/Donation suggested shows: I pretty much toss in the hat whatever a record or a shirt would cost.

Homeless: Get the fuck out of my face. Unless you have a friend obviously creeping around the corner and I'm walking alone. Take what you need and thanks for not stabbing me!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have been in the hospitality industry for 14 years. Bartended, Served, Hosted, Cooked, fuck bussing, Managed. If your server sucks, fuck 'em. Don't tip them shit. The world is full of shitty waiters/waitresses, don't promote that behavior. After cooking, I have zero respect for most tipped positions thanks to seeing what type of work they actually do. Your server deserves a tip when they keep you happy all night and no less. If they give you 50%, give them 0%. Bottom line.

Bartenders make retarded amounts of money for very little effort, but they also put up with drunks. I tip a dollar a drink unless I've already ponied up 30+ in tips for an average night. If they are taking care of me like instantaneously? I tip better. If I am put in the line like everyone else? After a bit they are effectively cut off. When I tended bar, you take care of the people who tip you, and everyone else gets Normal Mode. Which is generally first come first serve unless someone I was taking care of was up. Always take care of your tippers, or they stop tipping. I like to reinforce those trends.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
I usually tip $2 for every $10 on the bill. Adjust base on service. End of story.

boozebagbeefhole

Blackwing Lair Raider
Servers: Basic 15%, no questions asked. could go up to to 50% if you're amazing, but I don't care if you give me my food and I never see you again, 15%. I'm not you, and for all I know this is a shitty night.

Delivery. This usually depends on a couple conditions. Baseline is 2 bucks. Depending on weather it could go higher. We ordered some Pizza during the last snow storm, and even though the guy was 15 minutes late, I gave him a $20 tip on a $15 pizza.

Bagel/Coffee/Chipotle/Pretty much wherever has a tip jar: Whatever change is in my pocket, excluding 75 cents that I might need for an emergency.

Bartenders: 1 dollar a drink. More if it's a friend, but I tend to drink a lot when I'm out.

Free/Donation suggested shows: I pretty much toss in the hat whatever a record or a shirt would cost.

Homeless: Get the fuck out of my face. Unless you have a friend obviously creeping around the corner and I'm walking alone. Take what you need and thanks for not stabbing me!
This is spot on man, but your missing TO GO food. If you want me to TIP after driving there my self and not taking a table in your section or need anything other than plastic cutlery. GO FUCK YOURSELF! 10% auto grats on to go food. Why should I have to give you a tip for putting my food in a box then in a bag.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
To go food gets nothing. It actually makes me angry when I see the tip thing come up at Starbucks. Get the fuck out with that shit.

crucial_sl

shitlord
I tip 15% if everything is just fine. If they go out of their way or I have any special requests or anything extra I'll go to 20%.

Dis

Confirmed Male
I tip TO GO if they hook me up with some extra's like extra sauce, tortilla's, bread etc., agreed though on tipping TO GO. As a former waiter though, I prefer and approve of self serve restaurants. I still tip well when eating out, I go 20% if the experience goes smoothly, 25-30% if exceptional.

Tip according to service. If you refuse to tip on principle you're a faggot.
^this, I worked in restaurants for a few years and as a server briefly, so many of them are whiners and think they should be pulling in big coin for 4 hrs of work 4 days a week. The ones who took the long view of how they did for the month, not the day, realized they did pretty well. And servers make WAY more than the people actually cooking your food, which is really fucked up when you think about it.

P.S. giant tips get blown on drinking and drugs after work, they look at it as free money, it's almost as bad as giving panhandlers money to buy ripple and crack rocks. Behind the scenes of fine dining is drama, drugs, and adultery, Anthony Bourdain wasn't shitting you.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
If your server sucks, fuck 'em. Don't tip them shit. The world is full of shitty waiters/waitresses, don't promote that behavior.
I can Agree with that, and I won't dog anyone who tips low if they have an absolutely terrible experience. Ive been a sous chef/manager for years, and I tend to look at patterns when it comes to deciding if they get crap or not. Anyone can have a shitty night. Maybe their boyfriend dumped them, or maybe can't find a place to live, whatever. In my experience with shitty servers, people coming back bitching time and time again that they're getting jacked on tips, Those problems tend to work themselves out.

This is spot on man, but your missing TO GO food. If you want me to TIP after driving there my self and not taking a table in your section or need anything other than plastic cutlery. GO FUCK YOURSELF! 10% auto grats on to go food. Why should I have to give you a tip for putting my food in a box then in a bag.
Oh if they have a tip ______ on the check when I'm picking it up, zip nada. Tip Jar? sure, but if I'm doing the leg work I'm not adding anything to my check.

Dis

Confirmed Male
^this, I worked in restaurants for a few years and as a server briefly, so many of them are whiners and think they should be pulling in big coin for 4 hrs of work 4 days a week. The ones who took the long view of how they did for the month, not the day, realized they did pretty well. And servers make WAY more than the people actually cooking your food, which is really fucked up when you think about it.

P.S. giant tips get blown on drinking and drugs after work, they look at it as free money, it's almost as bad as giving panhandlers money to buy ripple and crack rocks. Behind the scenes of fine dining is drama, drugs, and adultery, Anthony Bourdain wasn't shitting you.
Ehhh I waited tables for 4 years, the only shift you got 4 hours on was lunch, and the money sucked. Dinner shift starts at 4pm and ends 10pm weekdays and 11pm weekends. This generally means your last table will get out about 30 minutes to an hour after close, and then you have to spend another 30-45 minutes closing your station, cashing/tipping out. Basically 8 hours on your feet running back and forth in a busy restaurant and kitchen, not an easy job. Drugs were pretty prevalent though, no more drama than my current corporate gig though (to include sex).

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I usually give her the tip.
Subtle.
rrr_img_11862.jpg

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
10% was never really a very good tip. I tip well if the service is good, poorly if the service is bad as long as it is the waitresses fault. If the place is slammed I am willing to cut some slack but if you are just avoiding me or have a shitty attitude your tip plunges. Also if you are on a date tip well, I have had several dates tell me after I tipped that they were glad I was generous and poor tipping is a huge turn off. Women don't like tight asses, shocking I know.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't cut slack when the restaurant is busy, my feeling is that the lower money from each tip is offset by the more tables they are covering. I don't see why you should make more money per hour just because your place of business happens to be busy, nobody else does. On the other hand, I'm actually more likely to give an inept server a good tip just because I feel sorry for them, but only if it really seems like they're unaware of their incompetence and it isn't just them being lazy/chatting with coworkers.