Silent gaming pc

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My current pc is terribly noisy, as soon as any game gets just a little demanding. So I'm thinking of getting a new one, with low noise being priority.

Any experience with high end'ish low noise gaming pc's? What I don't want is buying a new expensive pc and it's just as noisy as the old one :)

There are a few limitations, I want to be able to pick it up at a nearby store :p So I will order online from there, and don't have unlimited options. They have a bunch, though.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
have you looked at pwm fans? I have 10 120mm fans in my PC and it sounded like a wind chamber until I went in and set power curves for them. Reason I ask is you may need new fans and not a new PC.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
First off, Desktop Computers for your general desktop building/purchasing advice.

Secondly, was the PC quiet enough to start off with and got louder over time? If so, a good cleaning of the internals and repasting the CPU could quiet it down.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
First off, Desktop Computers for your general desktop building/purchasing advice.

Secondly, was the PC quiet enough to start off with and got louder over time? If so, a good cleaning of the internals and repasting the CPU could quiet it down.
i think he's talking about the pc is fine and quiet doing normal shit, but then when he fires up diablo, his shit is shaking.

it's obviously gonna be the video card, you want big gpu and low noise? you have to water cool

P pwe what video card we talking about?

pwe

It was noisy from day one. It also heats up my room so I have to open a window, even if GPU temp is well below it's limits. I had a hardware colleague looking at it, stress testing, tweaking bios/fan settings, setting fans to silent mode, and such, and he couldn't really figure it out. It just goes crazy under load. D4 idle in a town at 60fps was too much and noise just kept increasing over 5 min, until really annoying.

He would change cabinet and fans, but that is too much work for me :) He will buy it and I buy a new one (yeah, I do trust him :p) I also completely cleaned it up that day, but no change. Which wasn't expected anyways, since this was from day one.

pwe

Some specs:

1690872037183.png

1690872134775.png

pwe

i think he's talking about the pc is fine and quiet doing normal shit, but then when he fires up diablo, his shit is shaking.

it's obviously gonna be the video card, you want big gpu and low noise? you have to water cool

P pwe what video card we talking about?
"i think he's talking about the pc is fine and quiet doing normal shit, but then when he fires up diablo, his shit is shaking."
Yes, but even at idle I can still hear the fans.

"it's obviously gonna be the video card, you want big gpu and low noise? you have to water cool"
Thing is, my old, much slower, pc was very silent and when I run a game like D4 with same settings (resolution and max fps 60) the old one is almost silent and the new one is like 50 times louder. And warms up the room, which the old did not do at all. Thing seems borked.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3080Ti is a high end, 350W TDP part so it's going to create 350 watts of heat under load that the fans need to get rid of. A lower range card like a 4070 is only 200W so that's less heat to pump out of the case and into the room. Probably a downgrade in fps though.

Stick to midrange cpu/gpu or go watercooled if you want it quiet. I'm assuming the basics like not using a shitty small case is taken care of.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Thing is, my old, much slower, pc was very silent and when I run a game like D4 with same settings (resolution and max fps 60) the old one is almost silent and the new one is like 50 times louder. And warms up the room, which the old did not do at all. Thing seems borked.

An older, slower PC uses less power and generates less heat. That means less cooling is necessary and fans can run at lower speeds. A newer, more powerful machine can definitely be quiet if built correctly. Water cooling for the CPU, a good airflow focused case with bigger fans so they can run at lower speeds while moving the same amount of air. Getting that from a prebuilt is generally hard to do unless you want to pay for a completely custom build.

As far as heating up the room goes, all the head the PC generates while running has to go somewhere. If it's not trapped in the case, then it's getting exhausted in to the room.

pwe

An older, slower PC uses less power and generates less heat. That means less cooling is necessary and fans can run at lower speeds. A newer, more powerful machine can definitely be quiet if built correctly. Water cooling for the CPU, a good airflow focused case with bigger fans so they can run at lower speeds while moving the same amount of air. Getting that from a prebuilt is generally hard to do unless you want to pay for a completely custom build.

As far as heating up the room goes, all the head the PC generates while running has to go somewhere. If it's not trapped in the case, then it's getting exhausted in to the room.
But can the old and new really be running the same game with same settings, and the new one literally makes me sweaty lol. That's a lot of heat for the same work. The old one is cool, no issue at all.

It it supposed to be a high end gamer pc, and I run games at lower than native resolution, capped at 60fps (monitor is 160hz), and it is still louder and warmer than acceptable.

It has fans in every orifice, this can't be right.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
But can the old and new really be running the same game with same settings, and the new one literally makes me sweaty lol. That's a lot of heat for the same work. The old one is cool, no issue at all.

It it supposed to be a high end gamer pc, and I run games at lower than native resolution, capped at 60fps (monitor is 160hz), and it is still louder and warmer than acceptable.

View attachment 484822

View attachment 484823
That looks like a Corsair 4000D airflow, which is a decent case for thermals. Are those 120mm fans in the front? I don't know how good the stock Corsair fans are, but some 140mm Noctuas could cut down on noise. I'm guessing the top mounted CPU radiator is 240mm, a 360mm would improve things. I had a 240mm corsair liquid cooler years ago and wasn't terribly impressed with the noise level.

Is there an exhaust fan in the back? If not, air could be going in the front intake and get sent out the top of the case, leaving the GPU getting less than ideal cooling. An exhaust fan in the back could help pull air towards the back of the case and aid the GPU some.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
3080ti is your problem.

I went from a 5800X+3080ti to a 7700X3d+4080 and my PCs power consumption dropped between 200-300 watts depending on the game. So my PC no longer feels like a hair dryer on blast during a game. Since the 4080 runs so much cooler the fans barely need to spin to keep it cool, they dont even turn on until it hits 60c and even then they only spin at 500-600rpm which quieter than a whisper.

1685253423214-png.475397

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
3080ti is your problem.

I went from a 5800X+3080ti to a 7700X3d+4080 and my PCs power consumption dropped between 200-300 watts depending on the game.
True. the 4000 series is significantly more efficient than the 3000s. Dropping in a 4080 would improve thermals.

pwe

That looks like a Corsair 4000D airflow, which is a decent case for thermals. Are those 120mm fans in the front? I don't know how good the stock Corsair fans are, but some 140mm Noctuas could cut down on noise. I'm guessing the top mounted CPU radiator is 240mm, a 360mm would improve things. I had a 240mm corsair liquid cooler years ago and wasn't terribly impressed with the noise level.

Is there an exhaust fan in the back? If not, air could be going in the front intake and get sent out the top of the case, leaving the GPU getting less than ideal cooling. An exhaust fan in the back could help pull air towards the back of the case and aid the GPU some.
I'm not at home right now, but I think there is front, back, top, a small one below. It's pretty crazy.

pwe

3080ti is your problem.

I went from a 5800X+3080ti to a 7700X3d+4080 and my PCs power consumption dropped between 200-300 watts depending on the game. So my PC no longer feels like a hair dryer on blast during a game. Since the 4080 runs so much cooler the fans barely need to spin to keep it cool, they dont even turn on until it hits 60c and even then they only spin at 500-600rpm which quieter than a whisper.

1685253423214-png.475397
"feels like a hair dryer on blast"

This is exacly how it feels and sounds! So you switched both CPU and GPU... My HW hacking days are over, I'll look for a new pc with 4080 (sounds expensive) and read some reviews.

Thanks all for info!

EDIT: OMFG 4080 RTX is expensive. $1500 converted from my currency.

pwe

BTW, my monitor is 1440p, I don't need such a GPU at all. Still feel the urge, though.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
BTW, my monitor is 1440p, I don't need such a GPU at all. Still feel the urge, though.

Your hardware is very similar to mine. I'm running a 5800X, 32 GB RAM, 3080 10GB, 1440p main monitor. It's in a Phanteks P500A with 3 140mm Noctuas in front, a 120mm rear and an Arctic LFII 360mm top exhaust. It sits right on my desk and is silent at idle and reasonably quiet under load.

pwe

Your hardware is very similar to mine. I'm running a 5800X, 32 GB RAM, 3080 10GB, 1440p main monitor. It's in a Phanteks P500A with 3 140mm Noctuas in front, a 120mm rear and an Arctic LFII 360mm top exhaust. It sits right on my desk and is silent at idle and reasonably quiet under load.
Reasonably quiet is so subjective... But I doubt anyone but the hearing impaired would call mine reasonably quiet. How is the heat? I'm opening a window and still sweating after 10 min.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 484822

View attachment 484823
1. the fans you have are pretty but crap for sound

it's whatever this is called
FastGoodCheap.png

your fans can be cheap and pretty but they won't be quiet

theres a reason why ppl pay for ugly ass noctua fans like Denamian Denamian said, ppl value quiet

a noctua would run you 34bucks
Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown) Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown)

a middle of the road value one from scythe is 13bucks
Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm Fan, Quiet Case/CPU Cooler Fan, PWM 300-1200 RPM

most ppl end up getting the artic p12 value pack, at 5fans for 35bucks cuz they have so many fans to replace
ARCTIC P12 PWM PST (5 Pack) - 120 mm Case Fan, PWM Sharing Technology (PST), Pressure-optimised, Quiet Motor, Computer, 200-1800 RPM - Black

of course this won't affect much when you game cuz your vid card fans speed up
theres really only 2 ways to overcome this, water cooling the card, which you have room for since you have a 4000d you can have a triple rad fan in the front

you can also try liquid metal on the card, many have had a 20c different once appying it.

how difficult is it? you might have to get new thermal pads, use some nail polish, this youtube was what i was able to find for a 3080 ti

i would try the liquid metal first

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Reasonably quiet is so subjective... But I doubt anyone but the hearing impaired would call mine reasonably quiet. How is the heat? I'm opening a window and still sweating after 10 min.

I also use headphones when gaming, though they are open back so I can hear the fans ramp up under load. Heat isn't bad at all, but it is in my living room, not in a small room that would heat up fast.

The 3080ti is doing you no favors as they had to ramp up the power to get the extra performance out of it.