Small Story - Yet Enraging (graffiti in egypt)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Stop living in the past!

But seriously this is all messed up

Cybsled

Shit like that makes me so angry, but it definitely stems from ignorance and a lack of appreciation for our (human) history.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
In regards to the second article, the Yucatan Peninsula has been undergoing a huge amount of development as populations surge and archaeologists from all over the world, but especially the US and South America have been working around the clock for most of the past decade to try and locate, analyze and record the data that is going to be lost as these development projects come in. Its really an unfortunate situation. My archaeology professor does research in the Yucatan Peninsula on population movement and centralization of power, along with artifact recovery and examination, spent most of the past decade all summer down there conducting research on shit like roads built from population capitols to outer settlements and stuff, he said its really bad down there right now. So its no surprise that an entire temple would get demolished to use in this manner. Its a sad and tragic event for the histories of the people of South America though. They've already lost much of their cultural history once, they don't need to lose it all again.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I just don't understand how any 15 year old could be that fucking ignorant.

Szlia

If the chinese teenager thing is retarded, it's really three order of magnitudes less significant than the Yucatan situation. For all we know, it's a relatively trivial restoration job to fix what he has done in Luxor.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The article about the Yucatan fails to mention that ruins are being destroyed all the time down there. This isn't an isolated incident.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Really disgusting behavior by that kid. I wish someone would carve that graffiti into his chest with a knife. I'm sure that will be a good lesson for him.

Still doesn't compare to the destruction of the Parthenon, or the French destroying the nose of the Sphinx.

Northerner

N00b
Hmm, perhaps I am just old.

I assume a 15yr male old is barely capable of restraining themselves for ten minutes before they do something incredibly stupid and probably dangerous. Almost certainly destructive.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If the chinese teenager thing is retarded, it's really three order of magnitudes less significant than the Yucatan situation. For all we know, it's a relatively trivial restoration job to fix what he has done in Luxor.
I guess you didn't read the link.

In a state-run Xinhua media report, one of the agency's photographers said local Egyptian staff had worked to try and clean the sculpture. While there was some improvement, the graffiti could not be totally removed.
It's 3500 years old, they can't get it wet. That shit is there to stay.

Szlia

or the French destroying the nose of the Sphinx.
I thought you were quoting from "Asterix and Cleopatra" there so I had to google and found this:

Where is the Sphinx's nose? Many of us have heard the tale that a cannonball fired by Napoleon's soldiers hit the nose and caused it to break off. Sketches of the Sphinx by the Dane Frederic Louis Norden were created in 1737 and published in 1755, well before the era of Napoleon. However, these drawings illustrate the Sphinx without a nose and clearly contradicts the legend. So what really happened?

The Egyptian Arab historian al-Maqrizi wrote in the 15th century that the nose was actually destroyed by a Sufi Muslim named Muhammad Sa'im al-Dahr. In 1378 CE, Egyptian peasants made offerings to the Great Sphinx in the hope of controlling the flood cycle, which would result in a successful harvest. Outraged by this blatant show of devotion, Sa'im al-Dahr destroyed the nose and was later executed for vandalism. Whether this is absolute fact is still debatable.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We're going to some Mayan ruins in Belize in August.. Having trouble finding out if they were the ones demolished. Kind of curious if we should ask for our money back.