Smartphones

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Got a Nexus 6 for Christmas, got it activated and started the root process today, but I messed up big time due to going down the "traditional" root path without realizing that the update released this morning no longer supports it. Oops...

I made a post asking for help in the appropriate XDA thread, but would anyone here happen to be a wiz at rooting?
Go to google's support page for the device and download the stock image and you can flash that via ADB

https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images?hl=en

Stick with chainfire's systemless root option as it patches ramdisk on the go and will provide better compatibility with all the different Roms out there. If you download older roms you need to check to see if they using a prebuilt supersu package as they require a special sepolicy to run otherwise you will bootloop. There are unsu.zip files to remove the older version and flash the newer one if necessary.

Chainfire Releases Systemless Root For Android 6.0

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Go to google's support page for the device and download the stock image and you can flash that via ADB

https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images?hl=en

Stick with chainfire's systemless root option as it patches ramdisk on the go and will provide better compatibility with all the different Roms out there. If you download older roms you need to check to see if they using a prebuilt supersu package as they require a special sepolicy to run otherwise you will bootloop. There are unsu.zip files to remove the older version and flash the newer one if necessary.
Thanks, I know about flashing the stock ROM, but I'm gonna wait a bit from XDA and see if there's a way I can rewind my progress without having to go all the way back to stock. (My problem is that I flashed TWRP with permission to write, and as I understand it, that prevents me from undertaking a systemless root.)

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Thanks, I know about flashing the stock ROM, but I'm gonna wait a bit from XDA and see if there's a way I can rewind my progress without having to go all the way back to stock. (My problem is that I flashed TWRP with permission to write, and as I understand it, that prevents me from undertaking a systemless root.)
You can likely flash unsu.zip, flash the rom you want, flash the kernel, then flash the new supersu. You likely don't have to go back to stock. Just don't let twrp flash the old one again when it asks you on reboot. Regardless, it's pretty trivial to flash the recovery again.

UPDATE-unSU.zip | by tupac4u for Nexus 6

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
so sad... I broke my Nexus 6. I have dropped the phone on concrete and other hard surfaces and it survived with only a few scratches... then 2 two foot drop on my tile in my bathroom and the screen completely cracked. It's the first phone I didn't resell to upgrade. I decided to buy a 5x on craigslist. I tried to plug it in the root and stuff... USB type C... fucking hell.

Overall the phone is nice. Can't justify the 6P when I bought the N6 under a year ago, and I got a good deal on the 5x. Deciding if I should get a new phone from Google because it has the yellow hue.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
People make fun of my 'bulky' case. They have to buy new phones or screens every 3-6 months. Hmmm....

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
so sad... I broke my Nexus 6. I have dropped the phone on concrete and other hard surfaces and it survived with only a few scratches... then 2 two foot drop on my tile in my bathroom and the screen completely cracked. It's the first phone I didn't resell to upgrade. I decided to buy a 5x on craigslist. I tried to plug it in the root and stuff... USB type C... fucking hell.

Overall the phone is nice. Can't justify the 6P when I bought the N6 under a year ago, and I got a good deal on the 5x. Deciding if I should get a new phone from Google because it has the yellow hue.
Either fix it yourself with root or send it back. I wouldn't settle for a yellow screen.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
People make fun of my 'bulky' case. They have to buy new phones or screens every 3-6 months. Hmmm....
It's the first screen I've ever cracked so that doesn't apply to me. With the number of phones I've owned, I easily saved enough for the 5x from not buying screen protectors or cases.

EDIT:
Either fix it yourself with root or send it back. I wouldn't settle for a yellow screen.
Yeah I wouldn't settle too. I spent hours configuring the N4's screen. I compared the 5X to my Nexus 6 and Z2 earlier, and the 5X isn't actually yellow, it's just a tad warmer. In fact, my N6 and Z2 looked blue in comparison, while the 5X looked more neutral.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is there a way to tell what part of Android system is using the most battery? Gsam battery monitor tells me android system uses the most, but not what piece.

Although I shouldn't be too worried about it I guess. My Note 5 gets 17 hours on average between charges.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
You can download better battery stats and it will break down what the actual process is that is using the battery or time spent by the process keeping the kernel from going to deep sleep. GSAM is ok for basic stats but better battery stats is much more specific. Some features might require root.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is anyone else having trouble with the Facebook app on a 6P? Mine constantly thinks that I don't have a data connection when I do even though other apps are using it no problem. Sometimes just closing and reopening the app fixes it, sometimes rebooting the phone, and twice now I've uninstalled/reinstalled but it keeps coming back intermittently. I had the same problem once or twice with the Words with Friends app as well but no others. Chrome/Gmail/other google apps never have the problem.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is anyone else having trouble with the Facebook app on a 6P? Mine constantly thinks that I don't have a data connection when I do even though other apps are using it no problem. Sometimes just closing and reopening the app fixes it, sometimes rebooting the phone, and twice now I've uninstalled/reinstalled but it keeps coming back intermittently. I had the same problem once or twice with the Words with Friends app as well but no others. Chrome/Gmail/other google apps never have the problem.
All the time. But it was like that on my HTC M8 before and still on my 5X, even across different networks (Verizon now Fi). So think it is just the shitty app.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Facebook works fine on my 6P(Google Fi). At least as it works just as well as it did on my Nexus 4.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I ditched the Facebook app off of all my mobile devices, I just access it via web browser. It's pretty much the worst app on Earth for draining your battery, it's horribly designed.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Happens to me all the time as well. No idea why, but blaming it on a shitty app sounds about right.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Facebook app continually drains battery because it basically always checks for updates even when you don't have a connection. Instead of waiting for when you have a connection and then updating. Think I saw a post on the android reddit that confirmed removing the FB app from your phone speeds up other apps launching by 10-15%.

Fadaar

That guy
Is there a way to tell what part of Android system is using the most battery? Gsam battery monitor tells me android system uses the most, but not what piece.

Although I shouldn't be too worried about it I guess. My Note 5 gets 17 hours on average between charges.
Ditching Facebook app and turning off bluetooth and wi-fi when not actively using either saves a shitload of battery

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Did anyone get the Blackberry Priv? I really miss having a physical keyboard and the keyboard on the iPhone sucks and I want Android back, lol.