Smartphones

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Using phones 1-handed is a thing of the past. I have the biggest hands of anyone I know and I can't reach across my Nexus 6P with one hand. The only time I really try is in my car though, and you're not supposed to do that shit anyway.

Siliconemelons

If Fi ever opens up to non nexus phones, your phone would still need to have the radios for both Sprint and TMO, which is pretty uncommon. Most phones support Verizon and Sprint (CDMA) or AT&T and TMO (GSM).
Verizon and Sprint "Global" phones would be fine as they have most/all of GSM bands to make it useful. So the BB Priv and some Moto's would be good candidates.. heck my Pre2 and 3 could do it.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
anyone with xfinity and an iphone have issues with it connecting to wifi? i dont have a password set up but it keeps telling me my pw and shit is wrong when i go to try and log it in.

Never had any issues before my sister said it would always just auto connect to it, but now she is having trouble too all i have changed recently is swapping out my linksys router for the all in one modem/router xfinity gave me, and my sister said ever since then she has had an issue connecting, my dads android never had a hiccup at all even after the swap so idk if its something iphone related or what, i just got on the smart phone band wagon so maybe one of you has run into an issue like this an can shed some light on it before i get on the phone with these assholes, thanks in advance bros!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Now that I have an actual UI in my car for bluetooth I've noticed unless I have Spotify in the foreground it doesn't always transmit the song information to my BT player. I didn't see anything on BT Connect N Go that forces Spotify to the foreground when I connect to BT are there any apps out there that would do that?

Only real solution was using this app called Tasker but the app itself seems like overkill

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Now that I have an actual UI in my car for bluetooth I've noticed unless I have Spotify in the foreground it doesn't always transmit the song information to my BT player. I didn't see anything on BT Connect N Go that forces Spotify to the foreground when I connect to BT are there any apps out there that would do that?

Only real solution was using this app called Tasker but the app itself seems like overkill
An app that keeps 1 particular app in the foreground?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Tasker definitely sound like overkill for that. It must be a Spotify specific thing because Google Play Music and Pocketcasts send info to my stereo with no issues when in the background.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I use Spotify over a BT connection in my car and mine plays just fine. Hell, I can get out of my car and grab a coffee (Spotify will automatically stop / pause on my phone) but once I fire the car back up it will pair and continue playing where it left off.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need a portable battery charger thing. I have one my sister gave me but it's terrible. If it gives my phone 2% an hour it's doing great.

Need something relatively small that I can fit in my pocket if I'm heading out and notice the phone is low.

Suggestions? Don't need anything crazy, not going on long road trips or anything. Amazon Prime eligible would be ideal, but whatevs. No real rush.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I need a portable battery charger thing. I have one my sister gave me but it's terrible. If it gives my phone 2% an hour it's doing great.

Need something relatively small that I can fit in my pocket if I'm heading out and notice the phone is low.

Suggestions? Don't need anything crazy, not going on long road trips or anything. Amazon Prime eligible would be ideal, but whatevs. No real rush.
Are you talking about a battery pack? I'm confused because you seem to imply a battery pack but then complain about charge rate which is usually a charger or USB cable problem.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You should check the socket in your car, it might be rated for an amperage that's too low to be effective.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You have to look at the current output ratings on them. To charge a modern smartphone decently they need to put out at least 2 amps (different than mAH) 3 amps if you have a USB C phone and you want it to fast charge.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I use Spotify over a BT connection in my car and mine plays just fine. Hell, I can get out of my car and grab a coffee (Spotify will automatically stop / pause on my phone) but once I fire the car back up it will pair and continue playing where it left off.
It works well in the scenario you described but if I leave Spotify idle for a while (like overnight) and get in my car it doesn't seem to transmit the song info. If I unlock my phone and "open" Spotify it transmits all the info correctly.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Portable charger. Tried a couple cables no luck.
If you're talking about car charger, many of them are underrated at 1A, which barely trickles power to modern smartphones, especially if your using GPS and screen is on all the time, it will die, this also will happen if you plug it into the USB of the car, since that's 1A too. Need a 2.4A like this
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs more
61j-Br+jKoL._SL1000_.jpg

If your talking about a battery pack, there are many available

You have your basic "lipstick" style chargers that are rated at 2600MaH, you'll probably get 1 full charge or 75%
Amazon.com: Mobile Power Charger from Pac2Go Portable Charger 2600mAh External Battery Pack Power Bank with Smart Connect Technology for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsung, Smartphone and Tablet Battery Backup (Black): Cell Phones Accessories

If you need one that is more powerful and holds more MaH, Anker is good
Amazon.com: Anker Astro E1 5200mAh Candy bar-Sized Ultra Compact Portable Charger (External Battery Power Bank) with High-Speed Charging PowerIQ Technology: Cell Phones Accessories

You wanna stay away from the "cheap" chinese ones, ppl have said they tend to overcharge, get hot, etc.

I have 2 i carry when i travel, about the size of 2 deck of cards, these 12k MaH. they can charge a ipad to full twice (each).

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Blame Apple and their shitty tech for the widespread use of 1A chargers. Their phones have long since only used 1A chargers, so most aftermarket car chargers used 1A outputs as to not overcharge them. Many other manufacturers like Samsung, etc have used 2A+ for much quicker charging. When you buy a charge plug for your car, make sure it is rated for your phone. Otherwise you could be stuck with a shitty 1A trickle charge for an iPhone.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know how to designate Hangouts as the system dialer and sms app over Bluetooth? Can't get my new car to recognize Hangouts text messages nor answer calls. This doesn't seem car specific because other brands seem to have the same problem but no solutions.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You would need some specific in-car app integration for that, I would think? The car's default Bluetooth pairing always uses traditional phone and SMS.

I know BMW has an apps package, but no clue if they offer specifics like Hangouts.

BMW Connectivity: BMW iPhone Apps

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lanx gives good advice. I have a Note 5, and picked up an Anker lipstick power pack, and didn't realize it only output at 1A. Shit charges so slow, that I want to return it to Amazon, but I tossed the box and everything else out already.