Smartphones

Rabbit_Games

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm still using my Galaxy S10+, and I really hate this fucking phone. I checked out the iphone 14 Pro Max and man... I really, REALLY like the way it feels in the hand. I'm much more tactile and appearance focused than I used to be. Looks like I'll be switching phones soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm still using my Galaxy S10+, and I really hate this fucking phone. I checked out the iphone 14 Pro Max and man... I really, REALLY like the way it feels in the hand. I'm much more tactile and appearance focused than I used to be. Looks like I'll be switching phones soon.
Galaxy S20 Ultra ftw.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Having had samsung since the s3 days I'm thinking of switching to something cheaper. My s21 ultra is kinda trashed right now and in 2 weeks I can renew my contract at my provider for a new phone.

I can't really motivate the 1400 euro phones over here.

Sony or Google seems to be the alternative at my provider. Or the xioami or whatever it's called.

Would pixel 7 pro be a good choice?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Having had samsung since the s3 days I'm thinking of switching to something cheaper. My s21 ultra is kinda trashed right now and in 2 weeks I can renew my contract at my provider for a new phone.

I can't really motivate the 1400 euro phones over here.

Sony or Google seems to be the alternative at my provider. Or the xioami or whatever it's called.

Would pixel 7 pro be a good choice?
Try Samsung's A line? My A52 works well enough and was $500 when I bought it.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have zero complaints about the pixel A series. I imagine the fall models would be better yet but I'm not sure how noticeably different it would be. Smartphones are so good now I can't really see the upside of the $1000+ models aside from a status symbol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My Pixel 7 is here.

Free phone because the monthly payments + Fi service fits within my employer's expense allowance for phone.

Actually better than free because I get 5% back from Fi service with my Chase Ink card.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I had a Nexus 6P, then a Pixel 2 XL, and now a 4A 5G(would've stayed with the 2XL, but didn't feel comfortable sticking with a phone no longer getting updates).

Pixel/Google phones have been amazing, especially since Fi is so stupidly cheap if you're around Wi-Fi all day. The only downside is that Google appears to be moving in the direction of Apple lately. They're essentially forcing you to upgrade phones every couple of years or else you don't get updates/security patches.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My Pixel 3 just ran out of updates earlier this year, and that was around the time the battery started dying, though I think all my work software/softphones drain the shit out of it so maybe it's not the battery.

This Pixel 7 is fucking awesome, in-screen fingerprint reading and high refresh rate are great. I just wish this thing was 6 inches or less.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This Pixel 7 is fucking awesome, in-screen fingerprint reading and high refresh rate are great.
Until the Feds take it and unlock it without your consent using your finger. Fuck biometrics until the SCOTUS fixes this.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Until the Feds take it and unlock it without your consent using your finger. Fuck biometrics until the SCOTUS fixes this.
There's nothing on my phone that isn't work.

I agree if it was an actual 'personal' device I would never use anything but a password that I can't be legally compelled to input.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There's nothing on my phone that isn't work.

I agree if it was an actual 'personal' device I would never use anything but a password that I can't be legally compelled to input.
you carry two phones?

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My Moto Phone is still getting updates and working great after six years at this point. So glad when I went the Moto-Android route. Phones last me six years on average and run well the entire time. I basically only upgrade once they stop supporting the patches. If I upgrade my current one, it will be entirely because the battery cannot be swapped in it.

PS- I use biometrics on mine, but like Mist I don't do anything that would get me in trouble on my phone (I have a tablet for that which is passkey only).

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I browse FOH on my phone so maybe I should remove the biometrics.

• 1Truth!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Self-deprecation is a form of humor. Perhaps that is your next form. From playing a miserable, lonely lesbian on the internet to playing a miserable, lonely lesbian on the internet that also makes fun of himself.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Right now on Android all you have to do is hold the power button and a "lockdown" option comes up that will make it require a password to open. Also if the phone has been shut down you can't unlock it the first time with the fingerprint reader.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Right now on Android all you have to do is hold the power button and a "lockdown" option comes up that will make it require a password to open. Also if the phone has been shut down you can't unlock it the first time with the fingerprint reader.
Yeah I know. After i got myself free of the biometrics, i found that punching in my pin to unlock gets to be a non-issue.