Smartphones

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Boomer question. I have a Pixel 6 set up with two user accounts, one for personal and one for work. I also have a physical SIM and an eSIM.

Trying to get the number for the physical SIM to be associated with the personal user, and the eSIM to be associated with the work user. Basically I want all calls and text made to a phone number to go to just its associated user account. Is such a thing possible? I can't figure it out. I'm really trying to avoid having to buy another phone.
I don't really think it's setup to do that. Multi sim is primarily redundancy and travel thing. The phone itself has a primary Google account. I'm not saying there's no app that can manage that (after all phone and sms are just apps now) but as far as some sort of hard barrier, ie profile switching like you just alt tab between phones, I don't think so.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Boomer question. I have a Pixel 6 set up with two user accounts, one for personal and one for work. I also have a physical SIM and an eSIM.

Trying to get the number for the physical SIM to be associated with the personal user, and the eSIM to be associated with the work user. Basically I want all calls and text made to a phone number to go to just its associated user account. Is such a thing possible? I can't figure it out. I'm really trying to avoid having to buy another phone.
Settings > Network & internet > SIM cards

Here you should see both your physical SIM and eSIM listed. Tap on the physical SIM card option, and you should find an option to assign it to a user account. Select your personal user account to associate the phone number with it. Repeat process with eSIM and other account.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Settings > Network & internet > SIM cards

Here you should see both your physical SIM and eSIM listed. Tap on the physical SIM card option, and you should find an option to assign it to a user account. Select your personal user account to associate the phone number with it. Repeat process with eSIM and other account.
Curious if this works because I can't associate with Google account. It's all telecom settings.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Curious if this works because I can't associate with Google account. It's all telecom settings.
Make sure you have multiple accounts setup or I don't think you get the Assign to user option.

EDIT:

Asked Ai to summarize the account setup since it's a lot to type.

Sure, here are details about creating multiple accounts on a Pixel 6:

1. Open the **Settings** app.
2. Tap on **System**.
3. Tap on **Advanced**.
4. Tap on **Multiple users**.
5. Tap on **Add user**.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to create a new user account.

**Here are some things to keep in mind when creating a new user account:**

* You can create up to 10 user accounts on your Pixel 6.
* Each user account will have its own separate profile, including its own home screen, apps, settings, and data.
* You can switch between user accounts by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and tapping on the profile picture in the top-right corner.

**Here are the steps on how to create a new user account:**

1. Tap on **Add user**.
2. Enter a name for the new user account.
3. (Optional) Enter a picture for the new user account.
4. Tap on **Create**.

The new user account will be created and added to your Pixel 6. You can then start using the new user account by signing in with the credentials you created.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

---------------

After you do that you should get the option to assign sim/esim by account.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
google rolled out a new feature, or it just came on for me while driving using maps it gave me a notification that there was a tracker in my car and i could ping it, if i wanted to and it rang loudly.

it was an apple airtag i keep on my keychain, before android couldn't talk to airtag, now i guess it the ability to do it if it notices stalking. (if someone just drops an airtag on your car they can follow you home.

this was in my civic that i drive once a month, this didn't happen w/ the subaru that has an airtag on it, and my wife will drive once a week to work, while she has an airtag on her keys and in her laptop bag. (but they are registered to her iphone that travels w/ her as well, which i'm sure is why it doesn't ring for her, also shes driving to work, so it's not like shes using maps)

i'll test this out again soon, i have a few other airtags in carryon luggage i'll test with.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
google rolled out a new feature, or it just came on for me while driving using maps it gave me a notification that there was a tracker in my car and i could ping it, if i wanted to and it rang loudly.

it was an apple airtag i keep on my keychain, before android couldn't talk to airtag, now i guess it the ability to do it if it notices stalking. (if someone just drops an airtag on your car they can follow you home.

this was in my civic that i drive once a month, this didn't happen w/ the subaru that has an airtag on it, and my wife will drive once a week to work, while she has an airtag on her keys and in her laptop bag. (but they are registered to her iphone that travels w/ her as well, which i'm sure is why it doesn't ring for her, also shes driving to work, so it's not like shes using maps)

i'll test this out again soon, i have a few other airtags in carryon luggage i'll test with.
It’s pretty new, and in response to those stories of stalking/crime related usage. Or at least that’s what has been in the news.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It’s pretty new, and in response to those stories of stalking/crime related usage. Or at least that’s what has been in the news.
got another notice on the subaru and the track i've had in it for over a year, after driving it for 1hr

this is a nice notice for the girls at least

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
got another notice on the subaru and the track i've had in it for over a year, after driving it for 1hr

this is a nice notice for the girls at least
It must have just went live in a new update because I got a notice last night.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So I hate phones. I haven't had one in years, though sometimes I'll fire one up when I go to dragoncon, just so I can find my friends in that sea of 70k people.

I wanted to get one for my mum though, so I've been wading through all the bad information online. Anyway, I went with consumer cellular and had to call them yesterday.

I got an american! A somewhat nearby american too! No doing the needful on this call. He wasn't terribly helpful but damn it was nice to understand someone. He even said something like "You go pray about it and call us back" :emoji_laughing:

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
New Pixel 8s just dropped for pre-order. I have a 2XL that is still going strong, but I worry that it'll die some day and be scrambling to get a new phone with no backup. And obviously most of the stuff on the 2XL is way outdated.

I honestly have no frame of reference for whether or not these specs are any good. I assume they are vastly better than what I have. I rarely use the camera so even if that isn't top-notch I don't really give a shit. As long as it has a zoom feature to make my thunder thimble look bigger, blurry is probably better anyway!

Pretty disappointed, but expectedly so, that there is no sd card slot for storage. Is that even a thing anymore? I assume they just do it so they can rape you for the additional cost. On the one hand I don't think I'd really use more than the 128GB it comes with, but on the other I hate buying the base model when I honestly have no idea how much space anything takes up anymore. I assume pics use a ton more space than they do on my old phone at least. Anyone have any thoughts on the storage size issue? They sell up to 1TB, which seems excessive on a phone, but is also calling to the digital hoarder inside me too.

As I've mentioned before, I'm also super-salty that everyone has gone away from the rear fingerprint reader (and I'm not going to buy a phone that is already a few years old just to get it), because I'd immediately switch brands to someone that offered a new phone with it (assuming it wasn't shit otherwise). But since none of them offer that, I will likely stick with the Pixel line simply because I use Google Fi for my carrier and it is beyond convenient to just use those phones. And they already have all my info anyway.

Probably going to preorder just because I feel it is time and it is easy, but up in the air about the storage size question.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
New Pixel 8s just dropped for pre-order. I have a 2XL that is still going strong, but I worry that it'll die some day and be scrambling to get a new phone with no backup. And obviously most of the stuff on the 2XL is way outdated.

I honestly have no frame of reference for whether or not these specs are any good. I assume they are vastly better than what I have. I rarely use the camera so even if that isn't top-notch I don't really give a shit. As long as it has a zoom feature to make my thunder thimble look bigger, blurry is probably better anyway!

Pretty disappointed, but expectedly so, that there is no sd card slot for storage. Is that even a thing anymore? I assume they just do it so they can rape you for the additional cost. On the one hand I don't think I'd really use more than the 128GB it comes with, but on the other I hate buying the base model when I honestly have no idea how much space anything takes up anymore. I assume pics use a ton more space than they do on my old phone at least. Anyone have any thoughts on the storage size issue? They sell up to 1TB, which seems excessive on a phone, but is also calling to the digital hoarder inside me too.

As I've mentioned before, I'm also super-salty that everyone has gone away from the rear fingerprint reader (and I'm not going to buy a phone that is already a few years old just to get it), because I'd immediately switch brands to someone that offered a new phone with it (assuming it wasn't shit otherwise). But since none of them offer that, I will likely stick with the Pixel line simply because I use Google Fi for my carrier and it is beyond convenient to just use those phones. And they already have all my info anyway.

Probably going to preorder just because I feel it is time and it is easy, but up in the air about the storage size question.
Not many phones with micro sd anymore, it's another port for water ingress and cloud storage is pretty ubiquitous anyway. IMO min storage is fine unless you don't care enough about your photos to back them up in which case just assume you'll lose them and delete them anyway?

If you have a 2xl I'm sure the 8 regular will be more than adequate as long as the screen size is tolerable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not many phones with micro sd anymore, it's another port for water ingress and cloud storage is pretty ubiquitous anyway. IMO min storage is fine unless you don't care enough about your photos to back them up in which case just assume you'll lose them and delete them anyway?

If you have a 2xl I'm sure the 8 regular will be more than adequate as long as the screen size is tolerable.
Oh, I'm a sucker for an upsell, so I'll be getting the Pro at least. I prefer a larger screen anyway. And with the no interest monthly plan they give since I use Fi, it is only a few bucks more a month anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

actually all modern phones that still have microsd use the combined sim/micro sd port

so it's not like there would be another port for water to get into since for now until esims take over, physical sims still need to be inserted
guid-f610347f-f420-41bf-8d1d-bf7161ccb179-web.png

it's just that the microsd exclusively benefits the end user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I have a 2XL that is still going strong

As I've mentioned before, I'm also super-salty that everyone has gone away from the rear fingerprint

lol. After 5 seconds with a new phone you'll be like "rear finger who?"

I just ordered the 8 pro. Shame the pre order offer this year is so weak. I already have a fitbit charge 5 so can't see myself swapping a device that requires weekly charge for one that requires a daily charge. All I want is the fitness stuff

Anyone find smart watches actually useful?

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
lol. After 5 seconds with a new phone you'll be like "rear finger who?"

I just ordered the 8 pro. Shame the pre order offer this year is so weak. I already have a fitbit charge 5 so can't see myself swapping a device that requires weekly charge for one that requires a daily charge. All I want is the fitness stuff

Anyone find smart watches actually useful?
I almost got tricked into that worthless deal. Fortunately I remembered to go to the Fi website instead (you'd think it would take me there first) and it gave me $400 off of the Pro instead of the shitty watch or earbuds.

I would die for my rear finger reader. I don't leave my phone lying around if I'm actually doing anything worthwhile, it is almost always in my pocket, and being able to unlock it as I pull it out is not only significantly faster but just fucking amazing.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I almost got tricked into that worthless deal. Fortunately I remembered to go to the Fi website instead (you'd think it would take me there first) and it gave me $400 off of the Pro instead of the shitty watch or earbuds.

I would die for my rear finger reader. I don't leave my phone lying around if I'm actually doing anything worthwhile, it is almost always in my pocket, and being able to unlock it as I pull it out is not only significantly faster but just fucking amazing.
When I got rid of my 2XL I missed the finger print reader for a bit. Facial recognition is way better than it used to be, it’s a non-issue IMO

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Fortunately I remembered to go to the Fi website instead (you'd think it would take me there first)

Not available in the UK or I would have taken the cashback. I could always re-sell the watch but obviously there'll be an oversupply of watches from the offer.