Smartphones

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Received a OnePlus One invite via email, expires sometime before 7am eastern tomorrow -Claim Invite

Thought about it for a while and decided my Nexus 4 still feels snappy and if I were to spend the cash I'd rather replace the gen-1 Nexus 7.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I went ahead and ordered the Moto X. I got one with a bamboo back which probably makes me a huge fag plus I upgraded to 32GB so it was like $430. Supposed to arrive next Wednesday. I also got the turbo charger thing which I hope actually works since I didn't read up on it first.

Hoping I can get $250-300 for my refurbished G2 with the stickers and shit still on it but I'm not going to ask for the warranty replacement until the Moto X is all set up.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is there any general consensus as to what android phone has the best camera? My wife's LG G2 takes crap pictures, and we can upgrade next month. She takes the majority of the pics of our kid, so she needs the best camera. I've always been happy with the cameras on my Samsung phones (Galaxy 4, and now Note 3) but was just curious if there's something better out there.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's what I was leaning towards, we've had S2s, S3s, S4s, but then I tried something different last time around and went Note 3 myself, and G2 for her, should have just gone on to the S5 probably, we've always been happy with the photo quality on the Samsungs, my Note 3 takes great pics.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
interesting strategy by Sprint

Sprint is offering to cut Verizon and ATT defectors' bills in half | The Fast Pitch | The Pitch

The gist: Starting this Friday, December 5, any current Verizon or AT&T customer who wants to switch to Sprint can receive a gift card redeemable for up to $350 to cover the costs of a new phone and early termination penalties. All you have to do is bring a copy of a current Verizon or AT&T bill as proof. (T-Mobile customers are not eligible.)

But wait, there's more! The customer service reps will then examine your current bill and offer you a similar plan, from Sprint, for half the price. They're calling it the "Cut Your Bill in Half" deal. The half-price discount runs for the life of the plan, but there's no word on how long the promotion will run. There is, as you might imagine, a great deal of fine print.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I went ahead and ordered the Moto X. I got one with a bamboo back which probably makes me a huge fag plus I upgraded to 32GB so it was like $430. Supposed to arrive next Wednesday. I also got the turbo charger thing which I hope actually works since I didn't read up on it first.
Same, got the black / black / silver cause I'm boring. I have the turbo charger on the order also but I noticed that it wouldn't ship until the 23rd while my phone is supposed to be here on the the 10th. Some people from reddit who ordered yesterday have already had their phones ship out though.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man, my OPO was supposed to come today which is my day off. The moment i step into shower I hear someone knocking at the door. Run to it and its a fucking notice that I gotta wait till tomorrow to pick it up at the post office.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Maybe someone here can help me. My phone randomly runs like shit for reasons I can not figure out. Here is some examples of its fuckery, among lots of other similar stuff.

-Sometimes when I swipe to unlock the screen it's smooth as silk, and sometimes it runs choppy as hell.
-Sometimes when I browse reddit or rerolled it runs completely smooth, other times it will take 15-20 seconds to begin scrolling and scrolls at the equivalent of 5 fps.
-Sometimes if I turn the phone to sleep while watching youtube and turn it back on, it will run insanely bad, and when I make it sleep again it will take over a minute before it stops playing sound (that is how long it takes to respond to the button press). Other times it is completely fine.

It is an old Samsung galaxy s2 HD LTE(SGH-1757m, which is essentially a skyrocket) running Android 4.1.2. The phone always ran a little slow when it was switched from Jellybean to ICS ~two years ago, but I just chalked it up to it being unoptimized for the phone and it was always consistent with the little lag in the interface. However, recently I factory reset it to see if it would smooth this problem out. After the factory reset is when it started being completely random in its performance. I have tried factory resetting it again, investigating individual apps, and there is absolutely no connection between anything I have tried and when it decides to run like shit.

I am out of ideas :\

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
It probably has something to do with the NAND running slow. It should run faster if you wipe the phone. Conversely, you can buy something like the OPO and be done with it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Maybe someone here can help me. My phone randomly runs like shit for reasons I can not figure out. Here is some examples of its fuckery, among lots of other similar stuff.

-Sometimes when I swipe to unlock the screen it's smooth as silk, and sometimes it runs choppy as hell.
-Sometimes when I browse reddit or rerolled it runs completely smooth, other times it will take 15-20 seconds to begin scrolling and scrolls at the equivalent of 5 fps.
-Sometimes if I turn the phone to sleep while watching youtube and turn it back on, it will run insanely bad, and when I make it sleep again it will take over a minute before it stops playing sound (that is how long it takes to respond to the button press). Other times it is completely fine.

It is an old Samsung galaxy s2 HD LTE(SGH-1757m, which is essentially a skyrocket) running Android 4.1.2. The phone always ran a little slow when it was switched from Jellybean to ICS ~two years ago, but I just chalked it up to it being unoptimized for the phone and it was always consistent with the little lag in the interface. However, recently I factory reset it to see if it would smooth this problem out. After the factory reset is when it started being completely random in its performance. I have tried factory resetting it again, investigating individual apps, and there is absolutely no connection between anything I have tried and when it decides to run like shit.

I am out of ideas :\
That's old, old hardware in phone terms. Every new update is going to get worse and worse, and its going to struggle to run newer apps more and more ans they update and need more horsepower. A 4 year old phone is like using a 10 year old computer.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Which I understand. But there is a difference between it performing a little worse consistently (pre-factory reset) and having huge volatility in how it performs (after factory reset).

It probably has something to do with the NAND running slow. It should run faster if you wipe the phone. Conversely, you can buy something like the OPO and be done with it.
Thanks for the input. I'll root it and see if the lagfix app makes any difference.

I've also thought about installing a custom ROM like Cyanogen, but the phone isn't very popular so support for ROMs is pretty sparse.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally got my OPO and set it up. Went to Tmobile to get a new prepaid plan. The guy at the counter looked at it and was puzzled since he had never seen one. Suffice to say after setting up for me (it actually found and set the right carrier on its own after sliding in the sim card) he was really impressed by it. The sand paper back actually feels really good in your hands. The extra grip provides some added assurance. I expected it to be more wider but it is actually a lot longer then my old 4 inch zte phone hehe. The charger cord that came with it was a bit bunk. I had to fiddle with it and keep straightening it out as it would not make contact with the plug. You can't use a regular run of the mil charger either, it needs a 5v 2a charger.

Battery life is really good. I hooked it up to my bluetooth speaker and listened to music all day while working from home and it still has 60 % charge left over. I am impressed. In the end it's just another bigger nicer phone but for the price and also the fact that its unlocked made it really worth it. I just read that OPO are going to be dropping cyanogen soon as cyanogen are going with an exclusive contract in India and OPO already had planned to release their own Android OS. Supposedly its going to be a pretty stock experience. Can't wait for lollipop to arrive though. 4.1 is starting to get a bit old in the tooth.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah, Cyanogen kinda fucked over OnePlus by announcing a competing deal in one of the biggest markets on the planet. Even so, they are promising support for another year and it's always easy enough to install another ROM.