John Smedley hired by Amazon to produce MMOs

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I do, at least for Warhammer, solely because the MMO market was already going mainstream at that point. I played both at launch and AOC definitely did not feel super populated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Actually I tend to believe those initial numbers than the downstream ones. They always publish box sales, but dont delve deeply into numbers as time goes on.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Didn't AoC come out during the time between TBC running dry and people waiting for WOTLK?

That's not even 1/10th of the subscribers wow had, so i'm not surprised people would branch out to check another MMO out during downtime

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Didn't AoC come out during the time between TBC running dry and people waiting for WOTLK?

That's not even 1/10th of the subscribers wow had, so i'm not surprised people would branch out to check another MMO out during downtime
Exactly. Put WoW on that same graph and it's completely believable that 800,000 people tried AOC or Warhammer.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Is there data on how many active subscribers there were for FF14 on the original launch in 2010? that game would be a legitimate straight line too

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I remember hearing AoC having something like 800k subscribers shortly after launch.

Didn't SWTOR have like 1m-2m?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Art team has to be high-fiving, has to feel good to know you'll have absolute job security regardless of how shit you are at your job.

• 1Like

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
EQ1/2 (really the whole of SOE/DBG games all taken together) are fucking nothing compared to WOW if you look at the subscribers/money made over game lifetime. EQ was never really big if you look at the money but it had a big influence on the MMO genre.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The EQ team never gets credit for the amount of content they churned out. They averaged TWO expansions packs a year from 2000 - 2007. That is fourteen expansions, for those that struggle with math.

What had WoW done 7 years after it had launched? 3 expansions... and for those that would say, "But WoW expansions were much more fleshed out and provided much more content than EQ's." I say, nah. Anytime Blizzard launched a new expansion or a new content patch, it took me a month to maximize, 'best in slot', what ever the fuck you want to use as the measurement of completing the content. And, I am just your full time job holding, typical MMO player that cut their teeth on EQ. Not some 24/7 poopsocker that lives in their mom's basement. After Vanilla WoW, I played TBC, WLK, and Cata on average 4 weeks each in the 104 week time periods it took to get the mother fuckers out.

The total time I paid WoW $15 per month pales in comparison to the total number $9.99/$15 payments I sent to Verant/Sony.

All in all, WoW is the superior game, I am not going to argue otherwise... but, I loved EQ because I always had a reason to play it. WoW fucking bored me to death a lot of times. The EQ team and Smed definitely cut corners, released unfinished content, but at least they shipped an insane amount of content and expansions that gave me awesome memories and countless hours of fun. EQ GoD expansion and EQ2 was definitely their biggest missteps, but with the Blizzard brand bringing a history 10 million box sales per franchise into the MMO space, nothing Smed or the EQ team could have done or not done would have held back that tsunami that wiped everyone else out.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The EQ team never gets credit for the amount of content they churned out. They averaged TWO expansions packs a year from 2000 - 2007. That is fourteen expansions, for those that struggle with math.

What had WoW done 7 years after it had launched? 3 expansions... and for those that would say, "But WoW expansions were much more fleshed out and provided much more content than EQ's." I say, nah. Anytime Blizzard launched a new expansion or a new content patch, it took me a month to maximize, 'best in slot', what ever the fuck you want to use as the measurement of completing the content. And, I am just your full time job holding, typical MMO player that cut their teeth on EQ. Not some 24/7 poopsocker that lives in their mom's basement. After Vanilla WoW, I played TBC, WLK, and Cata on average 4 weeks each in the 104 week time periods it took to get the mother fuckers out.

The total time I paid WoW $15 per month pales in comparison to the total number $9.99/$15 payments I sent to Verant/Sony.

All in all, WoW is the superior game, I am not going to argue otherwise... but, I loved EQ because I always had a reason to play it. WoW fucking bored me to death a lot of times. The EQ team and Smed definitely cut corners, released unfinished content, but at least they shipped an insane amount of content and expansions that gave me awesome memories and countless hours of fun. EQ GoD expansion and EQ2 was definitely their biggest missteps, but with the Blizzard brand bringing a history 10 million box sales per franchise into the MMO space, nothing Smed or the EQ team could have done or not done would have held back that tsunami that wiped everyone else out.

I guess if you count EQ's cockblocking as a means of making an expansion take longer, you're right. WoW could do that, but instead actually allows you to finish whatever content they release

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They were the pioneers. Inevitable incompetence often comes with being the first. They took a lot of swings and had a lot of misses, which was frustrating... but I will still take that level of ambition over WoW glacial pace of content creation/release.

If you hated EQ and Smed, that is cool. I am not going to try and change your mind. For me personally, I see the good that Smed and the EQ team did out-weighing the bad. So, I hope he has success with his new Amazon team.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users