Soccer 2014 - 2015

Passenger_sl

shitlord
Seeing Pirlo tear up and cry was bittersweet. Also no UCL title for Buffon is disappointing in a way as well considering he has been the best goalie of this generation. If Juve are able to keep Pogba, they should have a solid team again next year.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Now that fabrefuck is at chelski I'm free to admire barca again from a distance. Don't particularly like them, but if it's a choice between them and Madrid I'll take barca every day of the week. Great final, barca attack is best I've ever seen , shame about the defense. I'd take peps treble team over the current one any day

Passenger_sl

shitlord
I'd take peps treble team over the current one any day
Hypothetically, if you were able to play them against each other, without either them being able to know the other, I think the current one would win. What doomed the 2011 side was teams being able to figure out how to play against possession based teams. That side didn't have a plan B when someone would park the bus. This current team has the best of both worlds. If you compare possession numbers, they are almost the same as Pep's team yet they still have other tactical options.

The big difference is how the current team can also play on the counter. A midfield of Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets and Messi/Villa/Pedro weren't really accustomed and made to play on the break. The majority of the plays were slowly created through possession. That honestly didn't work when solid defensive teams understood how to play against them. The other big difference to Pep's team is the press. During the 2011 season, Pep made the team press when possession was lost, but it isn't as crazy as now. Rakitic, Suarez, and Neymar press like crazy for the entire duration of the game. Messi's defensive contribution is through the roof. Basically the entire midfield and forward line can press like never before.

You can look at this team as an evolution. When Pep's tiki taka was taking over Europe, no one really knew what to do about it and it steam rolled over the majority of teams. Then teams like counter attacking RM, defensive Chelsea, pressing A.Madrid, Bayern came and showed that you couldn't just keep possession and expect to win. This current side is an adaption of the old team. Even with the introduction of better players Neymar/Suarez trump Villa/Pedro, the change to the play-style had a lot bigger benefits. As far as I see, the current side doesn't really have any tactical weaknesses. They play well against the press, bus/defensive sides, possession teams, counter-attacking sides, etc. I still think the type of team that could beat team would likely have a stronger midfield but having bulls like Suarez and Rakitic running for 90 minutes helps prevent getting bullied off the field.

It will be interesting to see what will happen in the upcoming year. Dani Alves more or less left. During today's parade, he was crying and thanking the fans. In addition, Barca already bought Vidal, a rightback from Sevilla. Dream scenario would be for them to buy Verratti from PSG. At that point you would have a Verratti/Rakitic/Busquets midfield with 3 players who are unbelievable passers yet are all able to preform amazing defensive duties. Those three plus a Messi/Neymar/Suarez front is a team that likely can't be countered tactically. Hopefully the upcoming elections don't derail the team, because the only thing I see ruining it is the usual politics.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait, people hate Barca? As a casual that surprises me.
I was rooting for Juve simply because every time a team other than the expected champions win that thing is a great day for the sport.

Anyways, anyone watching the world cup right now?

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I was rooting for Juve simply because every time a team other than the expected champions win that thing is a great day for the sport.

Anyways, anyone watching the world cup right now?
Just watch the US women play with my daughters, they were digging it.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Transfer fees are always one of the more interesting aspects in football. Eden Hazard is now valued higher than Christiano Ronaldo. Which in itself is pretty incredible given the top two dominance of him and Messi. It isnt by much but right now Hazard is valued at 145 million Ronaldo 125 million. Messi is valued at a cool 240 million LOL.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ronaldo is 30, no surprise his value plummets now. If you buy him now, you can expect maybe two more years out of him before his performance will start to drop.

However if an English club were to purchase Messi now, they'd probably win two or three CL titles with him. That's probably actually worth it

Jozu

Messi is literally at his peak right now. He is in his physical prime and is also a seasoned veteran having played basically 10 campaigns so his value is astronomical. I dont see how his value can go any higher after the season he just had. Not only the individual success but the team success. Maybe he can get up to 260 million next season but after age 29 his value will start to drop and a move away from Barca could be possible.

As far as Ronaldo, I do think Hazard is worth more as an asset at this point given wages etc. but Christiano just had his statistically best season ever...at 30. He is going to produce for more than 2 years. I dont see a dip in form for him after turning 32 unless he develops more nagging injuries. He is still a phenomenal player. He acts like a pussy, but great athlete and player 30 or not.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Where are you getting the estimated transfer fees from? I don't think anybody would actually pay $140m for Hazard while I could easily see PSG paying $100m or more for Ronaldo. As far as Messi, even $260m would be worth it as you'd probably recoup the fee just on merchandise sales alone when you think of every LFC fan that would go out and buy a Messi jersey. You'd be guaranteed to be on TV the most which would then increase your PL payout. Messi has at least 5 good years left, his defensive workrate was up this year for the first time in a long time. He may lack the top end speed of his youth but with those ball skills he has it doesn't seem to matter.

As far as Ronaldo, he's already dropping off as he's just becoming more of a striker than anything else. He contributes very little now in the defensive third and just stays high up the pitch waiting to counter.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

Jozu

Where are you getting the estimated transfer fees from? I don't think anybody would actually pay $140m for Hazard while I could easily see PSG paying $100m or more for Ronaldo. As far as Messi, even $260m would be worth it as you'd probably recoup the fee just on merchandise sales alone when you think of every LFC fan that would go out and buy a Messi jersey. You'd be guaranteed to be on TV the most which would then increase your PL payout. Messi has at least 5 good years left, his defensive workrate was up this year for the first time in a long time. He may lack the top end speed of his youth but with those ball skills he has it doesn't seem to matter.

As far as Ronaldo, he's already dropping off as he's just becoming more of a striker than anything else. He contributes very little now in the defensive third and just stays high up the pitch waiting to counter.
How is Ronaldo dropping off? He has never been a top level defender nor should he be asked to. His job is to give solid minutes as the teams primary threat up front coming from the wing, his tally of 61 goals this season makes your argument fall flat.

Him and Messi have dominated the sport so
thoroughly for so long it was interesting to finally see another player crack that top 2.

Passenger_sl

shitlord
How is Ronaldo dropping off? He has never been a top level defender nor should he be asked to. His job is to give solid minutes as the teams primary threat up front coming from the wing, his tally of 61 goals this season makes your argument fall flat.

Him and Messi have dominated the sport so
thoroughly for so long it was interesting to finally see another player crack that top 2.
If anyone watched RM and C.Ronaldo, you'd know he is already declining compared to previous years. His numbers are still very impressive, but his play-style is much different. This year he dribbled less than any previous year at RM. He is becoming less dynamic compared to previous years. Before he would be a terror that bombed up and down the wings. This year it is easier to contain him and separate him from his team, making him much less of a threat since he cannot create the same offensive chances that he could before. While the numbers do not show his decline, his actual play-style does. It seems like he was afraid to overwork his body and get injured. It might have been just that and all he needs is some rest this summer to be back to his old self, or it might be that he is preparing himself for the inevitable loss of pace and physique. His different play-style this season could have been due to Modric being injured for so long and RM not having a good replacement. What became evident is that when C.Ronaldo isn't fed chances by the midfield, not much is going to happen. He won't create them himself like previous years. It will be interesting to see how he will play in the fall when Modric is back and he has had a full summers rest.

In regards to the CIES list, it is pretty flawed. I don't really see how Hazard is worth more than Neymar, especially by that much. The only benefit that Hazard has is a longer contract, but that won't create a 45 million gap. On top of being younger, Neymar arguably had a more impressive season regardless if Hazard is the EPL player of the year. This season he has scored against RM/Atletico in the league and cup, PSG/Bayern/Juve in the UCL. He has been absolutely dominant against top teams. Second season in Europe and going 39G/7A, almost a goal a game is pretty insane. This is just one example of the flawed list, Kane/Bale/Lewa, etc are other ones.

Jozu

Premier league much more demanding than La Liga. Hazard is worth more than Neymar right now, especially when you factor in staying healthy and defensive quality.

Edit: I would say it looks like

1.Messi
2.Hazard
3.Ronaldo
4.Neymar
5.Aguero
6.Suarez
7.Sterling

PKS

N00b
I've read about how Ronaldo is still recovering from a his previous injury which prevents a player from giving his all for fear of a repeat or further complication. One that means you can't fully rely on your knees for a good year afterwards, which looks in line with this season.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Premier league much more demanding than La Liga.Hazard is worth more than Neymar right now, especially when you factor in staying healthy and defensive quality.

Edit: I would say it looks like

1.Messi
2.Hazard
3.Ronaldo
4.Neymar
5.Aguero
6.Suarez
7.Sterling
That's retarded, the EPL was terrible this year with Chelsea barely having to break a sweat past Xmas. Maybe Sunderland and Aston Villa are tougher than Cordoba or Eiche but that's really just different shades of shit.