Soccer/Footy 2015-2016

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I thought that penalty was harsh. Morgan is wrapping him up, but he literally jumps and falls to ground to draw the call. No better than what Vardy saw red for (2nd yellow), even though defender was hauling back on his arm.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I only saw the highlights as I was watching the LFC game but what dreadful penalty calls. That's terrible. As far as Vardy, he caused the contact by throwing his legs into the player. That's a foul all day long let alone the dive after it.

For LFC, that crazy Skrtel led capitulation at Southampton is the only thing preventing us from being within a shout of 4th with a pretty easy run in.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The only mark Vardy had in his favor for my money was that he was getting pulled back, but he clearly tried to make the most of it.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Welp, Real Madrid could win La Liga after all. They could even get a double if they win CL, which seems plausible as I think they will thrash Man City on the return leg. Atleti and Bayern both beatable in a final.

Barcelona now lost 3 straight league games and was eliminated from CL as well. A rather dark time at the Nou Camp. They havent seen a rough patch like this since 2003. If they lose the league it will be fun to watchthe Spanish media rip Enrique a new asshole and try to force him out.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I may go and take my girls to the Pasadena game against Chelsea. Haven't decided yet.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Vardy is gonna make them lose the title. Then he and Gerrard have something in common

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Spurs performance this season is nothing short of incredible imo. They were decent last term, but inconsistencies prevented them from finishing top 4. This year the difference is steadiness and no lapses at White Heart Lane. Kane is still scoring at a league leaders rate, but now all the other pieces have come into focus. Their young players have contributed more than any Spurs fan could have hoped for.

I think they catch the foxes.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
The Spurs performance this season is nothing short of incredible imo. They were decent last term, but inconsistencies prevented them from finishing top 4. This year the difference is steadiness and no lapses at White Heart Lane. Kane is still scoring at a league leaders rate, but now all the other pieces have come into focus. Their young players have contributed more than any Spurs fan could have hoped for.

I think they catch the foxes.
Yeah, I am very delighted at our performances this year. I will be the first to admit I was apprehensive towards Pochettino when he was appointed and thought he was no better than AVB but this man changed the whole mentality of the club and turned us into an explosive and exciting team to watch on the pitch. Tremendous job he has done.

Kane is proving not just to be a one season wonder and our midfield seems perfectly balanced at the moment with Lamela, Erikson and Alli all creating chances and charging forward in support. Dier is outstanding as a defensive midfielder and Dembele is just destroying everyone in his path. The defence is best in the league with Alderweireld and Vertongen in the middle and our full backs bomb down the wings all game to aid the attack. Lloris is a world class keeper. Everything just seems to be clicking but I wonder if it is too late with the 5 point gap to Leicester with only 4 games to go.

The remaining games (West Brom (H), Chelsea (A), Southampton (H), Newcastle (A)) are all winnable from Spurs if they play like they did against Stoke, with the game against Chelsea being pivotal in my eyes. If we win that one, then we may just catch Leicester who have Swansea (H), Man Utd (A), Everton (H), Chelsea (A) which are pretty difficult fixtures and Vardy being banned for maybe a couple of those games makes it even more challenging.

Should be an amazing climax to the season.

COYS!

CgZuVdxXEAATLUh.jpg:large

P.S. Oh and lol to Springbok with your results against West Ham and Crystal Palace. Back to your favoured 4th spot! Heh.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Wow, pretty much the worst result imaginable for Everton. I almost feel sorry for them but not really.
Only concern is Origi's injury. Hopefully it's not serious since he's been on fire lately.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
I really fucking hope Wenger doesn't get a new deal. I'll stomach another year of this bs, but if he gets another 3 year extension then it will be an abomination and a joke.

We might even lose out on Champs league. I honestly don't care if we get in cause we never get past the round of 16 anyways. The only problem is attracting talent/keeping Ozil and Sanchez at the club.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Verdicts being returned in the Hillsborough trial into the deaths of the 96.

"Are you satisfied, so that you are sure, that those who died in the disaster were unlawfully killed?"

The forewoman confirms the answer was a YES

"Was there any behaviour on the part of the football supporters which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation at the Leppings Lane turnstiles?"

The forewoman confirms the answer was a NO

"Was there any error or omission in policing on the day of the match which caused or contributed to a dangerous situation developing at the Leppings Lane turnstiles?"

The forewoman confirms the answer was YES

"When the order was given to open the exit gates at the Leppings Lane end of the stadium, was there any error or omission by the commanding officers in the control box which caused or contributed to the crush on the terrace?"

The forewoman confirms the answer was a YES

"Was there any error or omission by Sheffield Wednesday and its staff in the management of the stadium and/or preparation for the semi-final match on April 15, 1989, which caused or contributed to the dangerous situation that developed on the day of the match?"

The jury answered YES

The jury said: "The club did not approve the plans for dedicated turnstiles to each pen."

The club did not agree contingency plans with police and there was inaccurate information on the tickets.

"After the crush in the west terrace had begun to develop, was there any error or omission by the police which caused or contributed to the loss of lives in the disaster?"

The jury answered YES

After the crush in the west terrace had begun to develop, was there any error or omission by the ambulance service (SYMAS) which caused or contributed to the loss of lives in the disaster?

The jury answered YES

This is huge. Massive cover up at the time and ever since by both the police and the Government headed by Thatcher. For 27 years Yorkshire Police have been trying to pass the buck on to the supporters, who have been found to have not contributed in any way to the tragedy.

Hillsborough inquest blames Police and find 96 fans were unlawfully killed :Hillsborough disaster inquest rules 96 victims were unlawfully killed ??" live updates | UK news | The Guardian

The first political reaction to the decisions is starting to come in. Here's some quotes from Andy Burnham, the Labour MP who had long called for a new inquiry into what happened:

This has been the greatest miscarriage of justice of our times. But, finally, it is over. After 27 long years, this is real justice for the 96, their families and all Liverpool supporters. The survivors of this tragedy can finally be remembered for what they were on that day - the heroes of Hillsborough who tried to help their fellow fans.

The Hillsborough Independent Panel gave us the truth. This Inquest has delivered justice. Next must come accountability. For 27 years, this police force has consistently put protecting itself above protecting those hurt by the horror of Hillsborough. People must be held to account for their actions and prosecutions must now follow.

Disgracefully, lawyers for retired police have attempted to continue the cover-up in this courtroom. They made it an adversarial battle in defiance of the Lord Chief Justice's ruling. This has been brutal on the Hillsborough families and put them through hell once again. The current leadership of South Yorkshire Police needs to explain why it went back on its 2012 apology at this Inquest, prolonging the agony for the families.

The sense of relief we feel is tempered by the knowledge that this day has taken far too long in coming. The struggle for justice has taken too great a toll on too many. But the Hillsborough families have at long last prevailed and finally their loved-ones can Rest in Peace.

And also by Steve Rotheram, MP for Liverpool Walton:

I have waited 27 years for this moment. But I know it comes too late for many. I was there on the day and saw the horror unfold before my very eyes.

Before we'd even buried our dead, the hurt of loss was compounded by the lies and smears. I remember picking up a newspaper and feeling sick to the pit of my stomach. They inflicted terrible pain on a city at its moment of maximum grief.

I've seen how friends have suffered. This is a momentous day but they should never have had to wait so long. The truth is out there for all to see. Justice has been served by the verdicts and now it is about accountability.
edit - two decades of police lies :Hillsborough disaster: deadly mistakes and lies that lasted decades | Football | The Guardian

Burnham in Parliament today :Hillsborough verdict: Andy Burnhams emotional Commons speech in full - Mirror Online

What kind of country leaves people, who did no more than wave off their loved-ones to a football match, sitting in a court room 27 years later begging for the reputations of their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and fathers?

The answer is one that needs to do some deep soul-searching.

This cover-up went right to the top.

It was advanced in the committee rooms of this House and in the press rooms of 10 Downing Street.

It persisted because of collusion between elites in politics, police and the media.