Songs with interesting subject matter

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm drawn to songs that stand outside the usual tropes of popular music and tell a story that is interesting or thought provoking. Here's the few off the top of my head:

About the 1987 televised suicide of Budd Dwyer.

About the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.

Spontaneous combustion.

Ice Cube tells us about his really good day in the hood.

First two verses sound like the perspective of a jarhead but the end reveals it to be a school shooting.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The man just wants a rocket launcher. Alas he is Canadian. He cannot get one apparently.

Last edited:

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Song always chokes me up. Anyone that has a wife/kids or has lost a parent/grandparent will probably feel the same way.

Hank Williams granddaughter

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

A song about homeless/underprivileged in big cities.

In a slightly similar vein:

It's amazing to me that this song was written & released in a pre-9/11 America, and its only even more relevant today than it was 15 years ago.

And who says hair bands can't be educational:

And another hair band with an unusual song that actually has some substance and tells a story

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Never been big on lyrics. I never pay attention to what the singer is saying. EDIT- Instead I listen to melody/cadence and what the rest of the band is doing. These two are an exception.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
In a slightly similar vein:

It's amazing to me that this song was written & released in a pre-9/11 America, and its only even more relevant today than it was 15 years ago.

And who says hair bands can't be educational:

And another hair band with an unusual song that actually has some substance and tells a story
Don't like Warrant or Tesla, but that System of a Down tune is a good one.

Favorite Metallica song about war.

This one is an indictment of religion. Plus Manson's typical drugged out babble. Antichrist Superstar is an impressive album, although I never got into them. The Reflecting God is an example of good songwriting and the music is quite powerful.

Last edited:

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Song about a ghost who can't move on because he never elevated his station while he and his wife (he commited suicide after she died) were alive and regrets not providing a better life for her

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Song about ripping off Herman Melville and the Bible or Pinnochio or some other shit about whales.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
This is an album about suicide that needs to be listened to from beginning to end. I can relate; sometimes I find it difficult to listen to, but keep on coming back to it to pick at the wound.

Last edited:

trex

Queen Bee

Worf.

"My broken pieces, you pick them up" gives me goosebumps everytime.

This is on repeat around here a lot. Gives me all the feels. I love being in love and I love songs that remind me how lucky I am to have found love and the "love is forever" message in a society where divorce is so abundant.