Soul (2020)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Soul (2020)

Tagline: Is all this living really worth dying for?

Genre: Animation, Comedy, Drama, Music, Fantasy

Director: Pete Docter

Cast: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Ahmir-Khalib Thompson, Phylicia Rashād, Daveed Diggs, Richard Ayoade, Graham Norton, Rachel House, Alice Braga, Angela Bassett, Fortune Feimster, Donnell Rawlings, Margo Hall, Wes Studi, Sakina Jaffrey, Calum Grant, Laura Mooney, Zenobia Shroff, June Squibb, Jeannie Tirado, Cathy Cavadini, Dorian Lockett, Ronnie del Carmen, Cora Champommier, Rhodessa Jones, Peggy Flood, Ochuwa Oghie, Doris Burke, Esther K. Chae, Élisapie, Marcus Shelby, John Ratzenberger

Release: 2020-12-25

Runtime: 102

Plot: Joe Gardner is a middle school teacher with a love for jazz music. After a successful gig at the Half Note Club, he suddenly gets into an accident that separates his soul from his body and is transported to the You Seminar, a center in which souls develop and gain passions before being transported to a newborn child. Joe must enlist help from the other souls-in-training, like 22, a soul who has spent eons in the You Seminar, in order to get back to Earth.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
hm58Jw4Lw8OIeECIq5qyPYhAeRJ.jpg

Title: Soul

Tagline: Is all this living really worth dying for?

Genre: Animation, Comedy, Drama, Music, Fantasy

Director: Pete Docter

Cast: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Ahmir-Khalib Thompson, Phylicia Rashād, Daveed Diggs, Richard Ayoade, Graham Norton, Rachel House, Alice Braga, Angela Bassett, Fortune Feimster, Donnell Rawlings, Margo Hall, Wes Studi, Sakina Jaffrey, Calum Grant, Laura Mooney, Zenobia Shroff, June Squibb, Jeannie Tirado, Cathy Cavadini, Dorian Lockett, Ronnie del Carmen, Cora Champommier, Rhodessa Jones, Peggy Flood, Ochuwa Oghie, Doris Burke, Esther K. Chae, Élisapie, Marcus Shelby, John Ratzenberger

Release: 2020-12-25

Runtime: 102

Plot: Joe Gardner is a middle school teacher with a love for jazz music. After a successful gig at the Half Note Club, he suddenly gets into an accident that separates his soul from his body and is transported to the You Seminar, a center in which souls develop and gain passions before being transported to a newborn child. Joe must enlist help from the other souls-in-training, like 22, a soul who has spent eons in the You Seminar, in order to get back to Earth.

its a classic Pixar film. its fucking great. i cant recommend it highly enough. it gets you in the feels by the end. i was kinda iffy on it because i dont care about Jazz. but its really not a Jazz movie. not at all.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Pete Docter was already one of my favorite PIXAR directors (Monsters Inc, Up, and especially Inside Out) because of the way he uses the storytelling medium to address big philosophical/existential questions. Inside Out is a movie I've come back to several times just because of the way in which it portrays the nature of 'self'. Soul is very much in alignment with these earlier works and is a great film.

Its fun and entertaining but I challenge you to come out of the experience without questioning your own life, even if just a bit.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It was excellent. My wife and I are both educators so it hit us in the feels. Would have loved to have taken the kids to the theatre for this but we still loved the experience with family on Christmas.

I didn't feel like one of the Pixar movies that's going to have those characters that are marketed forever like your Woody, Buzz, Sully, Mike, etc. but the story was fantastic and it's ok that that movie isn't necessarily are toy marketing machine, it was just simply great.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Am i crazy or was the afterlife all based on musical theme? The ramp to heaven reminded me of a fret board on a guitar. The jerries were musical notes.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I guess this one didn’t hit me as hard as everyone else. Pacing felt a bit off, and it never really addresses that the main guy is kind of a bit self centered. In true Pixar fashion, the movie is gorgeous, though, and was a very interesting take on souls and that pre-life stage. The visuals of NYC and the piece playing near the end were beautiful.

• 2Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thos was ok the kids liked it but not as much as the other movies, I don't think they get alot of it. Apparently black folk are upset about it because it is all about a black man giving up his life and happiness to help a middle age white woman find her purpose, lol you see what you want I guess, or maybe its my white privlage showing.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Thos was ok the kids liked it but not as much as the other movies, I don't think they get alot of it. Apparently black folk are upset about it because it is all about a black man giving up his life and happiness to help a middle age white woman find her purpose, lol you see what you want I guess, or maybe its my white privlage showing.
that doesnt make much sense. it wasnt a middle aged white woman, it was actually a soul that wasnt even formed yet into a person, in fact they made a point in the movie to say what he was seeing was just what his mind made up. 22 even changed "her" appearance to be anything including Joe himself. and he didnt give up his life, that Earth pass belonged to 22 because Joe be dead.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
that doesnt make much sense. it wasnt a middle aged white woman, it was actually a soul that wasnt even formed yet into a person, in fact they made a point in the movie to say what he was seeing was just what his mind made up. 22 even changed "her" appearance to be anything including Joe himself. and he didnt give up his life, that Earth pass belonged to 22 because Joe be dead.
I guess they ignore that since 22 is voiced by Tina fey. Also they mad because the one hunting Joe mistakes another black guy for him

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I guess they ignore that since 22 is voiced by Tina fey. Also they mad because the one hunting Joe mistakes another black guy for him
sounds like they're just looking for something to be mad about. up in the afterlife/beforelife there was only that one color

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Pacing felt a bit off, and it never really addresses that the main guy is kind of a bit self centered.
They kind of addressed this in an article, they had made quite a few alternate endings, but didn't really like any of them, a lot of them dealing with what happens next, but decided it was better to just end it like they did and just leave it up to the audience to think what they think happened to 22 and the jazzman.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great movie. Only disappointment was Joe living in the end, think it was a somewhat Disney twist that didn’t add to the main themes of the movie.

the people actually complaining and not trolling about a white woman voicing 22 are a big part of what’s wrong with the world

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Great movie. Only disappointment was Joe living in the end, think it was a somewhat Disney twist that didn’t add to the main themes of the movie.

the people actually complaining and not trolling about a white woman voicing 22 are a big part of what’s wrong with the world
the logical outcome i felt was allowing joe to stay with the jerries as an honorary jerry and mentor kids. just letting him go back seemed too disney. especially since he did his life's wish and he got his mom to accept his musical career choice.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I think that was actually their first ending to the movie, because it does make a lot of sense, but it was eventually moved away from because it didnt mesh with Joe's growth in overcoming the fact that he was so career focused (didnt realize the value he had to his students, never talked to his barber about anything but jazz, etc) and his issues with his mom.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well there was a point where he said “why do you sound like a middle aged white woman” and I thought god damnit are they going to make this shit about race, and then they never really went past that.

Was better than I thought. My 6yo enjoyed it even though he didn’t understand all the themes around living and loving life. He asked a couple questions I had to answer for him that a kid just wouldn’t understand. This felt like it was geared towards adults much more than kids. There wasn’t a lot of silly kids moment in it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess this one didn’t hit me as hard as everyone else. Pacing felt a bit off, and it never really addresses that the main guy is kind of a bit self centered. In true Pixar fashion, the movie is gorgeous, though, and was a very interesting take on souls and that pre-life stage. The visuals of NYC and the piece playing near the end were beautiful.
Yeah, I didn't love this one. In fact, it might be my least favorite Pixar movie period.

The animation felt especially lazy with probably 1/3 of it being that squiggly line afterlife shit.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I watched it with my kids last night and it was decent. Hardly my favorite, but it was still a good story.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, I didn't love this one. In fact, it might be my least favorite Pixar movie period.

The animation felt especially lazy with probably 1/3 of it being that squiggly line afterlife shit.

This movie got me right in the feels, man. As in, I felt like turning it off after 20 minutes. Wall E was their last good film, and that was a long time ago.

• 1Garbage

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you guys are some kind of badasses. i thought it was an engaging, funny and heartwarming film. best Pixar movie since Inside Out

• 2Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database