Space Engineers - Minecraft in space.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
That's my impression at least. Steam has it on sale for $13. I've pretty much sworn off early access games but it looks like it might be $13 well-spent, if not for me, then for my kids who really like Minecraft.

Anyone playing it?

Space Engineers - Space Engineers

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are there actually modules and systems for the ships? It looks like it could be fun to build ships and go shoot things but if it's literally just the same sandbox, but without gravity, then I'll probably skip it.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's a lot of fun, it just needs more stuff. That said, the dev team seems very active. Building ships is really fun and very in depth. If you play in survival mode it's also pretty satisfying since it isn't easy to do.

Cybsled

I got the game and messed around a bit (ie, plowed a ship into another ship). Not super intuitive just jumping in, so I'll need to watch some tutorials or read some wikis.

How big are the gameplay areas? Does it vary? I was traveling for over 6k meters and didn't see anything else after I left the starting area.

ZeckEQ_sl

shitlord
I got the game and messed around a bit (ie, plowed a ship into another ship). Not super intuitive just jumping in, so I'll need to watch some tutorials or read some wikis.

How big are the gameplay areas? Does it vary? I was traveling for over 6k meters and didn't see anything else after I left the starting area.
Gameplay areas are huge, unlimited if you set the server as such. They just seem to be empty past your asteroid field. Most of the creations you see are in creative mode, building something like that in Survival takes a lot of time. The build tools are more limited and each block has to be completed after the base frame is placed. There are settings in the client that make it easier, faster welding, grinding, larger inventories and random passing ships to salavge (beware, some are rigged to blow up when you steal them)

Most of the weapons systems are in and active and factions were added so the potential for building large ships and going at it with friends is in. I hear lag can become an issue though. If you have ever desired to slug it out in 2 massive space ships with this kind of damage model, it's a great game. Target weak spots, use small fighters, disable engines, reactors, etc.

Overall it's a pretty cool sandbox game. They release a new patch every Thursday and add more. This title has seen some very impressive updates compared to other early access alphas I've seen. The devs rock.

I recommend playing in Survival using a multi-player world, things work better. If you are worried about griefers, set the world to private.

Opimo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Game went into Beta on 12/15/16. Planets have been added, as well as all new textures / models with the last patch. They also rewrote the entire multiplayer netcode. I have a small 8 person dedicated server running if anyone is interested.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
How is this vs Empyrion? Older threads say Empyrion wins due to better multiplayer but I guess that may change if they have rewritten the network code.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
Game went into Beta on 12/15/16. Planets have been added, as well as all new textures / models with the last patch. They also rewrote the entire multiplayer netcode. I have a small 8 person dedicated server running if anyone is interested.

Sure, how do we connect to your server?

Opimo

IP address is: 108.61.238.159:27105

With Steam running, you can type the following into your web browser to launch the game and connect directly: steam://connect/108.61.238.159:27105

Server is setup for Survival with the Star System map (3 Planets + 3 Moons, random Astroids). It's unmodded except for some admin mods. If you guys want any mods installed, just let me know.

Opimo

Do the planets still bend your computer over and go in dry?

I don't have an issue. I'm running a Sandy Bridge i7 with a GTX 980 TI. The game is more CPU bound though. The dev team is in the process of re-writing parts of the engine to move more to the graphics card though (The last update accomplished some of this, so performance should be better).