Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
By the time I read down to the part with the diagrams and charts I felt like I was reading up for a RL flight test and not a blog on a computer game. I just hope they don't make flight too cumbersome for realism's sake. I'm a huge fan of Freelancer's mouse control flight system. Sure, it wasn't perfect or realistic, but it worked, and was fun. And for me, fun is the key element when playing games.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Kudos to them for such an in-depth explanation, but I must admit that I was lost halfway through that article too. The fighting felt sluggish to me but I think that was the point? I was never much of a dog-fighter, I think the most space-fighting I ever did was in Wing Commander 1. And some in SWG, JTL.

I am mostly interested in the trade/economy aspect of SC, while mostly living on Spacestations or Spaceports (I *do* like that spacey atmosphere). Hopefully, hauling goods through the galaxy will be also a viable way of playing without dog-fighting too much.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Kudos to them for such an in-depth explanation, but I must admit that I was lost halfway through that article too. The fighting felt sluggish to me but I think that was the point? I was never much of a dog-fighter, I think the most space-fighting I ever did was in Wing Commander 1. And some in SWG, JTL.

I am mostly interested in the trade/economy aspect of SC, while mostly living on Spacestations or Spaceports (I *do* like that spacey atmosphere). Hopefully, hauling goods through the galaxy will be also a viable way of playing without dog-fighting too much.
/agree

After toying with it for a couple hours, I realize how bad I am at combat.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've been relatively bad at space combat too, though the exception was the mouse driven Freelancer. Seeing as how it's the same dude behind both games, and that he talks about the mouse being one of the inputs, I'm hoping it won't be shit. However, this and Elite: Dangerous have got me thinking on whether or not I shouldn't invest in a good joystick.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A toy to play a game better isn't an investment.

I'd recommend not buying toys for a competitive edge in games before they're out and the community figures out what the optimal setup is. It's very possible a mouse / keyboard is what competitive players end up using. There's just so many advantages to a mouse for targeting.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Don't listen to Tuco he's anti-fun. Buy a stick and play around with it. If you really have to think about and you're really not sure, then don't buy one.

Personally, I'm going to buy one, but I'm waiting to see if these games are actually going to be anywhere near what they promise. If they don't turn out, then I won't buy one.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I won't be buying one til after, if at all.
It's definitely better to wait. From Elite: Dangerous a mouse + KB combo is perfectly playable *but* you will probably have to fiddle with the settings to get something you're comfortable with. There's more degrees of freedom with flying than a FPS and it's the pitch / roll / yaw stuff that can take a little while to sort out. An Xbox controller is another potential solution if you don't want to splash out on a joystick.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Don't listen to Tuco he's anti-fun. Buy a stick and play around with it. If you really have to think about and you're really not sure, then don't buy one.

Personally, I'm going to buy one, but I'm waiting to see if these games are actually going to be anywhere near what they promise. If they don't turn out, then I won't buy one.
Don't be anti-fun and wait to get real information before making a decision, Draegan. Buy a HOTAS immediately.

I hear they have a Star Citizen ship loadout webtool you can use with aPC Joystick - HOTAS Warthog?"? + Throttles - US AIR FORCE Licensed | Thrustmasterto plan builds all day a year from release and never actually play them.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Don't be anti-fun and wait to get real information before making a decision, Draegan. Buy a HOTAS immediately.

I hear they have a Star Citizen ship loadout webtool you can use with aPC Joystick - HOTAS Warthog?"? + Throttles - US AIR FORCE Licensed | Thrustmasterto plan builds all day a year from release and never actually play them.
Lol

My point is that if you've already spent the money to have access to one or two of these games you've already spent a decent amount of cash. I know you're a very conservative person when it comes to buying things, but I'm not as scrupulous as you when it comes to disposable income and playing games. If I've got some extra cash, I don't mind dropping some bucks on a set up to make the experience more enjoyable.

I mean if you find the idea of spending $100-200 on some peripherals as something you really need to contemplate then you should definitely not buy them because you should probably spend the money elsewhere. Personally, if I'm playing these games, and I'm having a great time doing so, I wouldn't mind dropping some dollars on some toys to enjoy them more.

I personally believe that one of the two games (EG or SC) is going to deliver a fun experience. However I have too many other games right now to play where I would get any time out of a HOTAS setup so it's an easy decision for me.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I dont know about Elite, but I'm not really bothering with SC until we are getting playable persistant universe or the campaign. I launched the dogfight module once and found it acceptable, but without the rest of the game around it I am not interested in allocating gaming time to it. I will do that once they have a story to tell (Squadron 42) or a persistant world to play in.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Lol

My point is that if you've already spent the money to have access to one or two of these games you've already spent a decent amount of cash. I know you're a very conservative person when it comes to buying things, but I'm not as scrupulous as you when it comes to disposable income and playing games. If I've got some extra cash, I don't mind dropping some bucks on a set up to make the experience more enjoyable.

I mean if you find the idea of spending $100-200 on some peripherals as something you really need to contemplate then you should definitely not buy them because you should probably spend the money elsewhere. Personally, if I'm playing these games, and I'm having a great time doing so, I wouldn't mind dropping some dollars on some toys to enjoy them more.

I personally believe that one of the two games (EG or SC) is going to deliver a fun experience. However I have too many other games right now to play where I would get any time out of a HOTAS setup so it's an easy decision for me.
Keep in mind I have a watercooled PC, joystick, wheel, logitech g13 and am expecting my oculus rift dk2 next month, so I'm no stranger to blowing money on toys for gaming. All my previous statement was saying is to not buy gaming periphials to have a competitive edge for a game that's not out yet. It's very possible mouse/kb will be the preferred way to play Star Citizen competitively.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So having not paid much attention to this since the Kickstarter ended I decided to look up and see what the hell is going on with it.

Sweet holy mother of fucking christ what is their pricing scheme here. 200$ for ships? 1150$ for the "basic" multi ship package? What the fuck am I even looking at. 15,000$ for the "full" package and itsold out? Someone tell me this is some elaborate fucking joke that I'm not in on, or are there really armies of neckbeards out their mortgaging their house for this fucking thing?