Star Trek: Picard

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Transporters killing people IS brought up in canon, though. Scotty says this exact thing and ONLY uses them himself in EXTREMELY dire circumstances. The irony, is that he happily transports others but outright refuses to use them himself. The others just handwave him off and call him crazy, but HE'S the one who knows how it works.

Wasn't it the first Star Trek movie where the Vulcan science officer gets scrambled coming onboard Enterprise and they end up replacing him with Spock?

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I spent the better part of a year slogging my way through season 2. I finally made it to the end of that mess a few days ago and as soon as the finale ended I went right into season 3 as a hopeful palette cleanser. I ended up binging most of it over the weekend. Sure, it's not perfect, but holy shit - this isn't even in the same universe. Has there ever been a show in any genre that started off awful and survived long enough to improve this dramatically in later seasons? Breaking Bad is about the closest example that I can think of, but even though it jumped off the line slowly before ultimately ramping up into one of the best shows of all time in later seasons, the earlier episodes certainly weren't torturous to get through by any stretch. Picard suddenly transitioned from dog shit to some of the best Trek in decades.

This also sets the bar in how to properly do nostalgia / fan service. It'd be easy to toss a bunch of cheap callbacks into the memberberries bucket and launch it at the audience, but they've done a masterful job in mixing it all into the narrative. There have been several things as simple as a single line or even a subtle glance from a classic character that just land so perfectly. I'd also like to ask the asshole who keeps wandering in to cut onions during these moments to stop.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
There was a transporter glitch in The Motion Picture that killed two. What was left "didn't live long".

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Transporters killing people IS brought up in canon, though. Scotty says this exact thing and ONLY uses them himself in EXTREMELY dire circumstances. The irony, is that he happily transports others but outright refuses to use them himself. The others just handwave him off and call him crazy, but HE'S the one who knows how it works.
the tng episode w/ scotty, he put himself and some other dude in the pattern buffer, cuz they had no life support or something for like years until geordi finds him and re energizes him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

transporters screwing up and killing you, or merging you with another person etc is canon. yes lots of insanity and scary potential side effects there. like Replicators, hard light holograms, psychics, etc, which star trek never really explores.
hell even Jordie cybernetics.

Canonically startrek teleporters are NOT murder replicators though. different tech. notice star trek teleporters do NOT need a booth, or local deposit of matter. they can in fact teleport you into the vacuum of space. where there is clear no carbon, oxygen, etc to reform your body out of. no, they are doing a matter>energy converstion, sending that energy to a location, and then doing an energy>matter conversion. (which itself is yet another.. oh wait, that tech would be insane for all sorts of stuff aside from teleporters..)

problems. still are not conscious while you travel. so, is it still you? well, that same debate can be had with sleeping, and every moment of every day, as cells die..

The energy can be copied, or otherwise tampered with. Provably true. Not watching, but I'm assuming the argument is Borg are implanting borg implants during teleports. But the reality is, the energy pattern could be rewritten like a computer program, and be even worse. go in a loyal Federation officer, and come out a Romulan spy as your mind is literally rewritten.
consider the episodes where people were merged, and then the copied ones. you could copy someones mind, and place it into someone elses body, and no one would know.

energy beings. the teleporters keep people in holding patterns. but theres nothing saying that needs be the case. matter>energy.. and then having people LIVE inside computers, stars, space ship directly, android bodies for hostile conditions, etc...

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
transporters screwing up and killing you, or merging you with another person etc is canon.

Never forget!

tp_tuvix.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Never forget!

tp_tuvix.jpg

The very next episode after Janeway kills Tuvix as he begs for someone to save him is Resolutions. That's the one where Katherine is put in a harlequin romance plot with Chakotay as they're unable to leave an alien planet due to a strange infection. Voyager has to leave them beyond and the whole crew unites to disobey her orders not to contact the Vidiian because she's just so amazing. The whole episode is Jeri Taylor's love letter to Janeway. Tuvix is never mentioned ever again as is par with Voyager ignoring the past.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
An excerpt from This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously Dude, Don't Touch it" by David Wong

I stared out the window and said, “Do you ever get scared, Dr. Tennet?”

“Of course, but you know these sessions aren’t about me—”

“And besides, in your world, everything has some harmless explanation, right? It’s always bees. Even this thing with Franky. Your job will be, what, to go up to a bank of microphones and assure everybody that it’s all bees?”

“You feel like I was being dismissive of your fears. I apologize if so.”

“So does anything scare you, doctor? Anything irrational?”

“Of course. Here, I’ll volunteer my most embarrassing example. I feel like I owe it to you, to make up for the bee story. Are you a fan of science fiction?”

“I don’t know. My girlfriend is.”

“All right, but you know Star Trek, and ‘Beam me up, Scotty’? How they can teleport people around?”

“Yeah. The transporters.”

“Do you know how they work?”

“Just … special effects. CGI or whatever they used.”

“No, I mean within the universe of the show. They work by breaking down your molecules, zapping you over a beam, and putting you back together on the other end.”

“Sure.”

“That is what scares me. I can’t watch it. I find it too disturbing.”

I shrugged. “I don’t get it.”

“Well, think about it. Your body is just made of a few different types of atoms. Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and so on. So this transporter machine, there is no reason in the world to break down all of those atoms and then send those specific atoms thousands of miles away. One oxygen atom is the same as another, so what it does is send the blueprint for your body across the beam. Then it reassembles you at the destination, out of whatever atoms it has nearby. So if there is carbon and hydrogen at the planet you’re beaming down to, it’ll just put you together out of what it has on hand, because you get the exact same result.”

“Sure."

“So it’s more like sending a fax than mailing a letter. Only the transporter is a fax machine that shreds the original. Your original body, along with your brain, gets vaporized. Which means what comes out the other end isn’t you. It’s an exact copy that the machine made, of a man who is now dead, his atoms floating freely around the interior of the ship. Only within the universe of the show, nobody knows this.

“Meanwhile, you are dead. Dead for eternity. All of your memories and emotions and personality end, right there, on that platform, forever. Your wife and children and friends will never see you again. What they will see is this unnatural photocopy of you that emerged from the other end. And in fact, since transporter technology is used routinely, all of the people you see on that ship are copies of copies of copies of long-dead, vaporized crew members. And no one ever figures it out. They all continue to blithely step into this machine that kills one hundred percent of the people who use it, but nobody realizes it because each time, it spits out a perfect replacement for the victim at the other end.”

I stared at him.

“Why did you tell me that?”

He shrugged. “You asked.”

His face showed nothing. I thought of the Asian guy, casually disappearing into the magic burrito door, walking out somewhere else. And in that moment I almost asked Tennet what he knew, and who he was.

I don’t know. Maybe it wouldn’t have changed anything.
Annnnnnnd I'm taking a hard left and doing a 'John Dies at the end' re-read marathon. Thanks for that!

Watching E9, I said out loud 'holy shit they made a Trek for 50 year olds'. This one was amazing.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ome

Molten Core Raider
While watching season 3 I was so amazed I went and looked up the directors and writers and it seemed to be the same people. I couldnt make sense of how season 3 was so good in comparison to season 1 let alone that abortion of season 2. Showrunner and his vision is what changed for season 3 and boy does it show.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Has there ever been a show in any genre that started off awful and survived long enough to improve this dramatically in later seasons?

Enterprise? Haha.

Just finished catching up and yeah, nostalgia overload and I enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. It is ridiculous but at least it is Star Trek ridiculous.

Enterprise D still looks about 1,000% better than any of the stuff they've tried to come up with. Seeing it pull out of La Forge's garage was just a reminder of how cool looking that ship is and all the new stuff sucks.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Enterprise D still looks about 1,000% better than any of the stuff they've tried to come up with. Seeing it pull out of La Forge's garage was just a reminder of how cool looking that ship is and all the new stuff sucks.
I always preferred the harder edges of the TOS ships. However, having said that, I truly do have a new appreciation for the 1701-D.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

While watching season 3 I was so amazed I went and looked up the directors and writers and it seemed to be the same people. I couldnt make sense of how season 3 was so good in comparison to season 1 let alone that abortion of season 2. Showrunner and his vision is what changed for season 3 and boy does it show.

That was part of it. The other part is Stewart originally didn’t want the show to be TNG part 2: no uniforms, no enterprise, and no existing characters beyond cameos. They eventually got him to loosen up on those requirements during production of season 1 a little, and to a degree in season 2, but they got his full buyin for season 3. What helped sell it to Stewart in part was the proposed storyline and character interactions

Cybsled

Kind of meh on that since I wasn’t that keen on Discovery, but who knows, maybe it might be kinda decent