Star Trek - The Beyonder

Terial

Trakanon Raider
It appears to be official. Following a recent report that he was after the job, Variety is reporting that Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness screenwriter/producer Roberto Orci will direct the 13th franchise feature. Orci is joined on the project by screenwriters Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne, who will help him pen the next adventure of the Enterprise crew.

There's no announced timeframe for the next Star Trek film as of yet, but the franchise will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2016. If the plan is to have a film in theaters to tie into the occasion, expect official announcements on the film in the very near future.

Hell yea
smile.png
Now i gotta get the kiddos all caught up on the whole franchise
smile.png

Any suggestions on movie order/tv series order mix?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I would recommend Enterprise at some point, once the crew grew on me I enjoyed it way more than I expected to. As for order, eh, nothing wrong with chronological. Just wanted to get that out there before people start telling you "you need to watch it in pi squared order, dude!"

Silence_sl

shitlord
I would recommend Enterprise at some point, once the crew grew on me I enjoyed it way more than I expected to. As for order, eh, nothing wrong with chronological. Just wanted to get that out there before people start telling you "you need to watch it in pi squared order, dude!"
Bongwater change, you must.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It's been like a year since I've had anything "recreational" unfortunately. I prolly just need some sleep. But what exactly was the crazy part?

spronk

FPS noob
Star Trek 13: The Search for Kirk
Star Trek 14: Whales Save the Earth
Star Trek 15: Klingons quoting Shakespeare

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Skip Insurrection and Nemesis movies, fall into a temporal anomaly and miss the first half of Voyager. Watch all of DS9 to get the backstories to all of the characters and be amazed at how well they all developed. Suggest legal marijuana usage for Enterprise if available.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I think my question was misconstrued...
what i mean is i'm planning on having them watch TNG, Enterprise, voyager, DS9 (not in that order) and also having them watch all the Trek Movies (ALL of them)
but the question is at which point do you stop watching TNG and watch the first TNG movie for example.... etc. See what i mean?

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
what i mean is i'm planning on having them watch TNG, Enterprise, voyager, DS9 (not in that order) and also having them watch all the Trek Movies (ALL of them)
but the question is at which point do you stop watching TNG and watch the first TNG movie for example.... etc. See what i mean?
All of the TNG movies happen after TNG. The same goes for the original series.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Found this, seems to make sense. Not my words or opinions.

The Cage
The Original Series (production order)
The Animated Series (most people would skip this; it's got decent plots but very flat animation)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (director's cut)
Star Trek II, III, and IV in that order (each starts where the last one ends)
Star Trek V (most people would skip this because it's generally considered bad; it was actually made and released after TNG was running)
Star Trek VI (this was actually made and released after TNG was running, and is really a sort of "prequel" to TNG explaining why The Klingon Empire Is Different in TNG than it was in TOS and the first four movies)
Star Trek: The Next Generation
The various "Next Gen movies", from Generations to Nemesis. These were actually overlapped with the broadcast of DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise, but it doesn't matter that much; there are a few references but they're vague and mostly irrelevant.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The first two seasons overlapped the last two seasons of Next Gen, and there is some subtle plot overlap, but it's not essential to interlace the episodes. The last five seasons overlapped the first five seasons of Voyager, but there is almost no overlap (there's one "easter egg" guest appearance from a Voyager character on DS9, but you can watch it without having watched Voyager).
Star Trek: Voyager. Most people would skip this entirely, as it suffered from a lot of really terrible episodes -- especially from heavy use of the "reset button" where huge, traumatic things happened and it's all magically back to normal by the end of the episode. Another name for the "reset button" is "Voyager Syndrome".
Enterprise.
Abrams movies. If you liked the rest of Star Trek, you'll probably hate these. I would skip them. They have the offensiveness of The Original Series without the intelligence, and without the excuse of being 50 years old.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That's a lot of typing for just saying watch TOS, The TOS Movies, TNG, TNG moves, DS9, Voyager (maybe), Enterprise, New Movies. Which is essentially the same order anyone would watch it just by guessing.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I wonder -- for the 50th anniversary could they do a mash-up of all the major series: TOS, TNG, and new Trek. I'd love to see Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Frakes, Pine, and Quinto together. Maybe that would be cheeseball for some, but I think it'd be seriously cool if they could work out a great story behind it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wonder -- for the 50th anniversary could they do a mash-up of all the major series: TOS, TNG, and new Trek. I'd love to see Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Frakes, Pine, and Quinto together. Maybe that would be cheeseball for some, but I think it'd be seriously cool if they could work out a great story behind it.
A great story would be a first for Star Trek.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
That's a lot of typing for just saying watch TOS, The TOS Movies, TNG, TNG moves, DS9, Voyager (maybe), Enterprise, New Movies. Which is essentially the same order anyone would watch it just by guessing.
True, but the person who typed it explained where the overlaps are, and that they aren't that important, which is what people are really asking. I assume.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I didn't mind the reboot and I thought Into Darkness was basically a shittier version of the first movie, with Robocop and Sherlock for flavor, but neither of those rebooted movies felt like TREK. My limited understanding is that Orci is the actual Trek fan of the bunch. Hell, JJ admitted he never watched trek, and saw a few before helming the movies but that he was always a Star Wars guy. And it showed. If Orci really does like Trek, I think this new movie could be good. At least better than the other two. And if they are going to be doing the five year mission, then maybe we'll get some of the philosophical stuff that, when done right, makes Trek stand out.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
You should prep yourself for when they mix up star wars and star trek and it makes you sad.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't mind the reboot and I thought Into Darkness was basically a shittier version of the first movie, with Robocop and Sherlock for flavor, but neither of those rebooted movies felt like TREK. My limited understanding is that Orci is the actual Trek fan of the bunch. Hell, JJ admitted he never watched trek, and saw a few before helming the movies but that he was always a Star Wars guy. And it showed. If Orci really does like Trek, I think this new movie could be good. At least better than the other two. And if they are going to be doing the five year mission, then maybe we'll get some of the philosophical stuff that, when done right, makes Trek stand out.
Maybe less strobing effects as a bonus.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ignore voyager.

And for it's faults, of which there were many, Enterprise managed to have a few TOS style episodes. A couple of them felt like golden age sci-fi/space western self contained short stories. TNG didn't manage it, DS9 was worse when they tried it and better once they committed to an arc.

Enterprise at least managed to pull it off a couple of times.

Plus there's a horny vulcan who wants to learn how love and sex are logical, and why humans smell so bad. You can tell me that doesn't pop your flagpole... you can tell me that.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Enterprise kind of feels like Abrams movies without the budget. Its star trek... But its too different for purists. I enjoyed what I saw of it but it wasn't a must see show for me so I missed most of it. The evil universe episode was great though