Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
considering it was the first in a trilogy the movie did an especially shit job of making any of the foes look like a force to be reckoned with. Phasma was a joke, Kylo got his ass beat by some scrub cunt, the whole Empire managed to get their brand new super weapon destroyed without putting up any semblence of resistance. it was a fucking clown show.

Not to defend Ep 7 but the only real difference in that regard is that Vader didn't get completely emasculated like Kylo Ren did. The rebels lost a handful of one-man fighter craft while destroying a fully manned space station the size of a small moon. To use the EU/RPG costs, the rebels essentially spent 1-2m credits to destroy a space station that cost trillions of credits to build, staffed with about 1.2m personnel.

But really, its having a credibly threatening villain that makes all the difference. Even though the Death Star was destroyed, Vader killed Obi-Wan and then was raping some rebels in his tie-fighter, and would have killed Luke if Han hadn't come in with a last minute save. So even though Vader ultimately lost, he was still a badass. I liked Kylo Ren snapping and destroying stuff with his lightsaber, it made him seem wild and out of control instead of the cool, sinister badasses that the previous villains have generally been. Then he took the mask off and you realized it was literally just a kid throwing a temper tantrum and the character only got worse from there. It would take a miracle to salvage that character in Ep 8.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In order for Han's death scene to be dramatic it couldn't be an emotionless Kylo walking up and cutting him down. They could have been done better than emo high schooler getting up the courage to do murder but the entire point is Kylo wasn't as committed or as badass as Vader. Afterwards, he still isn't a badass but he should be committed now unless the writers totally blow it and do make the character unsalvagable.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In order for Han's death scene to be dramatic it couldn't be an emotionless Kylo walking up and cutting him down. They could have been done better than emo high schooler getting up the courage to do murder but the entire point is Kylo wasn't as committed or as badass as Vader. Afterwards, he still isn't a badass but he should be committed now unless the writers totally blow it and do make the character unsalvagable.

Except it still wasn't dramatic at all. The instant Han started walking out onto that bridge it couldn't possibly have been more obvious that he was about to die. I understand that the idea that Kylo Ren is still young and conflicted, not fully trained, etc, but they still completely blew it when they took the mask off so early. If they absolutely have to take the mask off in the very first movie, leave it on until he's on the bridge with Han and save the family reveal until that moment. NOW he gets revealed as just a conflicted kid but gets cemented as a villain when he decides to murder his father in cold blood. Maybe make it seem like he's still conflicted even after choosing to murder Han, and that's interfering with his ability to control the force, which makes Finn and Rey being able to fight him less retarded.

I'm just glad they didn't give all three movies to that miserable hack Abrams.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Except it still wasn't dramatic at all. The instant Han started walking out onto that bridge it couldn't possibly have been more obvious that he was about to die. I understand that the idea that Kylo Ren is still young and conflicted, not fully trained, etc, but they still completely blew it when they took the mask off so early. If they absolutely have to take the mask off in the very first movie, leave it on until he's on the bridge with Han and save the family reveal until that moment. NOW he gets revealed as just a conflicted kid but gets cemented as a villain when he decides to murder his father in cold blood. Maybe make it seem like he's still conflicted even after choosing to murder Han, and that's interfering with his ability to control the force, which makes Finn and Rey being able to fight him less retarded.

I'm just glad they didn't give all three movies to that miserable hack Abrams.
This was something i think was a huge problem in TFA.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea Kylos mask had to come off for Rey, but I do agree it should of perhaps been done at the moment before the patricide.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do you think we'll have to wait until Episode 9 to find out Finn is Rey's brother like we had to wait until RotJ for Leia despite learning about Vader in Empire?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you think we'll have to wait until Episode 9 to find out Finn is Rey's brother like we had to wait until RotJ for Leia despite learning about Vader in Empire?

Without that incompetent hack Abrams directing the rest of the trilogy I have hopes that they can turn it around with the remaining two movies. In which case I sincerely hope they don't blatantly self-plagiarize for two more movies.

Fadaar

That guy
Without that incompetent hack Abrams directing the rest of the trilogy I have hopes that they can turn it around with the remaining two movies. In which case I sincerely hope they don't blatantly self-plagiarize for two more movies.

You say that but the story has probably been finished for years at this point.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
You say that but the story has probably been finished for years at this point.

Rian Johnson started writing it while TFA was still in production.

And screenplays are never truly done until the finished movie is in the can. They're revised during most of the production process.

Royal

Hamill is probably the only guy that can troll Star Wars fans and become more likeable in the process.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

The most must-see films of 2017, from 'Beauty and the Beast' to 'Star Wars'

"Remember that Star Wars: The Force Awakens cliffhanger with new heroine Rey (Daisy Ridley) bringing Jedi master Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) his old lightsaber on a remote intergalactic island? Writer/director Rian Johnson is picking up right where they left off in the beginning of the Star Wars saga’s still-untitled next chapter. “I don’t want to skip ahead two years,” Johnson says. “I want to see the very next moment of what happens.” How Rey and Luke relate to each other is the key relationship in Episode VIII, and Johnson says “a large part of the movie” will be spent addressing why Luke’s there and what he’ll do next. Like Luke, Rey has been pulled into a bigger world by connecting with the Force, “but part of what’s she’s dealing with is the realization that she has this power and this gift,” Johnson adds. “She’s taking her first step to coming to terms with this thing inside her that she never knew was there and is just starting to reveal its potential.”

Royal

The Official Title for Star Wars: Episode VIII Revealed | StarWars.com

C23gmNXUAAEuQhC.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well that's ominous as hell. It does go along with the thought I had pre-TFA that the Force was moving past the whole Jedi/Sith dichotomy

Royal

It does go along with the thought I had pre-TFA that the Force was moving past the whole Jedi/Sith dichotomy

There are signs of that to be sure. Yoda has at times indicated a certain sadness at the error of the Jedi way in the waning days of the order and Ahsoka, in her novel, expressed a sense that something was wrong with the Jedi and the Republic as a whole.

It could very well be that Luke represents the last of the old order and something else will come along to replace it, perhaps embodied in Rey. Although it should be noted that Jedi is both singular and plural.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It also fits the whole notion that Luke was the first to acknowledge the Light and the Dark within him (an idea strengthened by recent material). He tried to re-launch the Jedi Order only to have that fall back into the Light vs. Dark bit that has been going on for thousands of years and causing problems for everyone.

In such a context going off and trying to figure out a different option seems not only possible but a rational choice.

• 1Like

Royal

And it also gives an opportunity to address, if you just go from what is presented in the movies themselves, just what the fuck is "balance" in the force supposed to mean? It's obvious that it was something that Lucas just threw into the script to give a zenlike quality to force without thinking a hell of a lot about what that was supposed to look like.