Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Wow. That blurb is not fucking kind to the memory of Fischer.

"As soon as the filming ended she grabbed me and said, 'I better be at the forefront of IX!'".

I can believe it, but the tactful thing to do would be something like... not mentioning that she demanded it. lol.

I don't think it's unkind when weighed in context that the article doesn't really provide. The plan was for each of the OT trio in turn to be the older gen focus in the sequel trilogy films. Not that any of them would be the central character for the one in which they were featured but just the main original cast member dealt with in that respective installment. So "at the forefront of IX" becomes a little misleading there in the article. The new characters were always going to be that and I'm sure all of the major players were well aware of it.

But it was in Ep. 9 that Leia would have confronted her son for the first time after Han's death at his hands. That had the potential to be a major, defining moment in the overall saga and Fisher was just saying her piece about sticking to the plan. She certainly had the solid reputation of being someone who said whatever was on her mind in any setting well before now.

Royal

One thing about that Benicio del Toro pic; I dunno if it's just a case of them simply reusing set pieces but the set behind him looks an awful lot like the interior of Han's freighter, especially the monitor panel.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Talk about a vacuous statement.. Just say it has more sets than TFA and Rogue One,

Therefore, The Last Jedi had more original sets built for it than any other Star Wars movie since Kathleen Kennedy took the helm of Lucasfilm in 2012

readers will appreciate a little more honesty. I promise JJ's feelings won't be hurt by making a direct definitive statement with regards to his movie.

VF is usually on point for fluff too, but this is schizophrenic tip-toeing. There is no reason you can't write a comparative statement. What's the point in sucking up to JJ and TFA in 2017?

Time to move the fuck on. Its Rian's time now. Give him the limelight.

Like J.J. Abrams before him, Johnson didn’t want to lean too heavily on C.G.I. for backgrounds.

Last edited:

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I am waiting for the movie that will seal this franchise once and for all.

It will be glorious.

Royal

A couple of pieces of leaked promotional material, all of it First Order related:

19021655_737696333081918_976070585_n.jpg

18985392_737696323081919_375875075_n.jpg

19046725_737696329748585_573624405_n.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A couple of pieces of leaked promotional material, all of it First Order related:

I can dig it.

If we are giving advanced model names to the walkers and intend to make reference to them, even by implied threat ala Star Trek or the Original Trilogy (similar to how star destroyers and battleship batteries and shields were referenced in dramatic fashion throughout the 3 movies, of various classes) then I'm hyped.

Give us a little OT vibe. TFA missed me on those classic Star Trek-esque OT technical jargon moments. They were very fleeting moments in the OT, but to Trekkers it was everything.

Last edited:

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Comment on spoiler-ish picture
It'll be funny when the resistance tries to use harpoons and tow cables and these stand up and walk right out of the loops

Royal

If a weapons platform such as a walker was ever effective enough to see wide scale use, which apparently they were especially if you read any of the novels, then you wouldn't expect to see them abandoned in a 30 year window but rather evolve through upgrades and improvements. That's how weapon systems change over time baring some major tech breakthrough that renders them obsolete.

Just look at something like the A-10 in our own military. People have been actively trying to mothball the thing for years now to replace it and yet here were are after 40 years of use and it's still the best piece of hardware at what it does.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If a weapons platform such as a walker was ever effective enough to see wide scale use, which apparently they were especially if you read any of the novels, then you wouldn't expect to see them abandoned in a 30 year window but rather evolve through upgrades and improvements. That's how weapon systems change over time baring some major tech breakthrough that renders them obsolete.

Just look at something like the A-10 in our own military. People have been actively trying to mothball the thing for years now to replace it and yet here were are after 40 years of use and it's still the best piece of hardware at what it does.

Except star wars tech doesn't evolve, it's like space legos. Sometimes someone mashes a giant pile of them together, sometimes just small unique things.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, Star Wars assumes a stagnant tech. It HAS to because otherwise you end up with the prequels.

I mean honestly, how do you leverage a deathstar into political power outside of individual planets or solar systems? Can it hyperspace? It HAS to have been able to. Otherwise it's a self defeating weapon. But it can't have been able to.

And sure, the Nuclear Weapon analogy is there and obvious. But the problem is that the death star doesn't kill everyone. It just kills whatever you aimed it at. It leaves imperials alive and powerless with their dick in their hands. It's great for genocide. Not so great for exacting tribute and centralizing power. Unless you're going to build one in every system that you seek to control. In which case, you already have the thing that you seek and all of this is exceptionally silly.

At least the update had the new StarStarDeathStar shooting across multiple star systems. That update covered a big old problem. It's not a plot hole so much as it just doesn't make any sense at all. Not really. Not if you think about it.

But you know, fuck thinking about it. It's an emotionally satisfying and resonant story.

Last edited:

Royal

Except star wars tech doesn't evolve, it's like space legos. Sometimes someone mashes a giant pile of them together, sometimes just small unique things.

Sure it does.

Just look at the walkers in question over the course of the movies (chronologically). The ones in Rogue One which were more of an armored transport could be brought down with concentrated fire from a relatively small hand operated canon. By the time of ESB the armor had improved enough that canon fire from a speeder couldn't scratch them. In TFA the head had been replaced completely with a canon, though we didn't see those in action. We haven't seen the new ones in action yet either and they may even be a older iteration since they have both the head and the single large canon. The basics of the platform haven't changed overly much that we know of but it's had adjustments made to it.

And like Iannis said when the look of the vehicles and weapons have shifted around a lot in short order it hasn't exactly been well received but rather identified as part of a larger problem. It seems to be that the proper balance of old vs. new is proving to be an extremely tricky one to find, if it exists at all.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, Star Wars assumes a stagnant tech. It HAS to because otherwise you end up with the prequels.

I mean honestly, how do you leverage a deathstar into political power outside of individual planets or solar systems? Can it hyperspace? It HAS to have been able to. Otherwise it's a self defeating weapon. But it can't have been able to.

And sure, the Nuclear Weapon analogy is there and obvious. But the problem is that the death star doesn't kill everyone. It just kills whatever you aimed it at. It leaves imperials alive and powerless with their dick in their hands. It's great for genocide. Not so great for exacting tribute and centralizing power. Unless you're going to build one in every system that you seek to control. In which case, you already have the thing that you seek and all of this is exceptionally silly.

At least the update had the new StarStarDeathStar shooting across multiple star systems. That update covered a big old problem. It's not a plot hole so much as it just doesn't make any sense at all. Not really. Not if you think about it.

But you know, fuck thinking about it. It's an emotionally satisfying and resonant story.

Just so you know, the Death Star has always been capable of going into hyperspace. How did you think it moved from Aldeeran to Yavin in ANH? It is quoted to be a "mobile deep space battle station" in various sources. It also moved from Jedha to Scarif in Rogue One, and was originally built in the Outer Rim.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
If I remember, there was also a scene in RO where the death star appears out of hyperspace. Kind of a not there, then there instantly.

iannis

Musty Nester
Makes more sense then.

Really makes me question why anyone was ever allowed to find the thing, but that makes more sense. Why it wasn't parked in orbit around the emperor's asshole.

Royal

The only time it was ever found was in the first movie when Millennium Falcon flew into it's lap shortly after Alderaan was destroyed. Every other time anyone saw it was when it was showing up to ruin their day and when the Emperor used the second DS as bait.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Sure it does.

Just look at the walkers in question over the course of the movies (chronologically). The ones in Rogue One which were more of an armored transport could be brought down with concentrated fire from a relatively small hand operated canon. By the time of ESB the armor had improved enough that canon fire from a speeder couldn't scratch them. In TFA the head had been replaced completely with a canon, though we didn't see those in action. We haven't seen the new ones in action yet either and they may even be a older iteration since they have both the head and the single large canon. The basics of the platform haven't changed overly much that we know of but it's had adjustments made to it.

And like Iannis said when the look of the vehicles and weapons have shifted around a lot in short order it hasn't exactly been well received but rather identified as part of a larger problem. It seems to be that the proper balance of old vs. new is proving to be an extremely tricky one to find, if it exists at all.

Lol no