Star Wars Rebels

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They aren't going to reboot the EU. Everything Star Wars from this point on is pure canon. Meaning all comics/books/movies/and tv shows are all linked. That avenue has been closed forever once they laid out what was canon and what was legacy. This is the reason there were multiple SW projects shut down.. books were cancelled as well as the 2-3 video games that were in production.

Also loved that they brought back Ahsano, I kinda figured they would considering they didn't finish out her story with the final season of Clone Wars.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok finally watched it. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Ahsoka.

Still seems likely that she dies some time before A New Hope, otherwise why wouldn't she still be part of the rebels? Maybe I already said this somewhere, but I always thought it would have been cool for her to meet Luke some time between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and the things she tells him about his father are the reason he believes Vader can turn away from the dark side, rather than some idealistic stupidity that probably should have gotten him killed.

Still, much better than I thought it would be. Seems unlikely that the cast would not only include a former Jedi but they would also find a suitable force sensitive teenager to be his padawan, but I guess Star Wars would be pretty damn boring without lightsabers.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
many Bothans (and one Togruta) died to bring us this information.
Oh god that got me right in the feels.

I wonder if she even knows Vader is Anakin. She left the order before any part of Episode 3 happened, so unless she has spoken to Yoda or Obi-wan, it's possible she doesn't know. I really see her dying in Rebels, but if she doesn't her character will probably be too old for a cameo in Star Wars 7. Then again by throwing out all the EU, Disney basically threw out all the source material for how long the various non-human races live, so who knows.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well all of the prequel stuff causes problems with the Original Trilogy because so much of the storyline and setting no longer makes sense with the overall dramatic escalation that takes place.

The battle of the First Death Star involves 30 X-wings and Y-wings which sounded kinda cool in 1977 but you see >30 ships blowing up simultaneously in the rather small skirmish over Coruscant at the start of Episode III. Not to mention the seemingly hundreds of ships that are involved in the second Death Star fight only a few years later.

More directly associated with Ahsoka is the fact that Luke is a terrible Jedi by the standards of anyone in the prequel era. So if the Rebel Alliance is so smitten with Luke and his Jedi-ness then there's no way she (or Kanan, or even Ezra) can still be around. Then again the whole notion of what Obi-Wan and Yoda's endgame plan was is also rather bonkers given how things end with Episode III. The Emperor takes over thanks to a combination of mind controlled clones and the manipulation of social media and they decide to go become hermits for 20 years, make a point of NOT training Anakin's kids, and generally wait around to die so they can become Force Ghosts and... I dunno what. This is even more bonkers when we now learn that Ahsoka was instrumental in starting the Rebel Alliance AKA the entity that does all the heavy lifting when it comes to taking down the Emperor.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
I don't know if Ahsoka knows Vader is Anakin or not. Vaders identity doesnt seem to be common knowledge or Luke would've found out from the rebellion in Empire instead of from Vader himself. It would be better dramatically if she doesn't, as I see a Ahsoka/Vader duel in a future episode.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe Disney will make the original films no longer canon either, lol.

But yeah that's why I was assuming Ahsoka has to die, and maybe Kanan too, which would explain why the Alliance has such a hard-on for Luke. They saw what Ahsoka and Kanan could do and expect the same things from him. But yes, whatever plan Yoda and Obi-Wan have going on doesn't really make any sense. Obi-Wan should have been instructing Luke from a young age. Wasn't Anakin's age the main reason they didn't want to train him as a Jedi? I mean Mark Hamill didn't look it but Luke was supposed to be 19 years old in A New Hope. They didn't want to train Anakin, who was only 10 years old, but training a 19 year old is fine?

I mean that doesn't fit into the space fairy tale that George Lucas wanted to tell, but it damn sure makes more sense than just living in a cave and a swamp doing absolutely nothing until Leia desperately reaches out for help and by random chance the droids she sends, which used to belong to her biological father, end up being bought by the not really uncle of her brother.

I don't know if Ahsoka knows Vader is Anakin or not. Vaders identity doesnt seem to be common knowledge or Luke would've found out from the rebellion in Empire instead of from Vader himself. It would be better dramatically if she doesn't, as I see a Ahsoka/Vader duel in a future episode.
I'm pretty sure if she confronted him face to face, she would recognize from the force that he used to be Anakin. Obi-Wan recognized Vader's presence despite not having seen him in 19 years, and it's only been 15 or 16 for Ahsoka. You could maybe argue that Ahsoka hasn't seen him since his fall to the dark side whereas Obi-Wan had though.

Here's another thought, Obi-Wan is way too young in the prequels to have turned into a white haired old man a mere 19 years later, which is how much time supposedly passes between movies 3 and 4.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Well all of the prequel stuff causes problems with the Original Trilogy because so much of the storyline and setting no longer makes sense with the overall dramatic escalation that takes place.

The battle of the First Death Star involves 30 X-wings and Y-wings which sounded kinda cool in 1977 but you see >30 ships blowing up simultaneously in the rather small skirmish over Coruscant at the start of Episode III. Not to mention the seemingly hundreds of ships that are involved in the second Death Star fight only a few years later.

More directly associated with Ahsoka is the fact that Luke is a terrible Jedi by the standards of anyone in the prequel era. So if the Rebel Alliance is so smitten with Luke and his Jedi-ness then there's no way she (or Kanan, or even Ezra) can still be around. Then again the whole notion of what Obi-Wan and Yoda's endgame plan was is also rather bonkers given how things end with Episode III. The Emperor takes over thanks to a combination of mind controlled clones and the manipulation of social media and they decide to go become hermits for 20 years, make a point of NOT training Anakin's kids, and generally wait around to die so they can become Force Ghosts and... I dunno what. This is even more bonkers when we now learn that Ahsoka was instrumental in starting the Rebel Alliance AKA the entity that does all the heavy lifting when it comes to taking down the Emperor.
the prequel council is corrupt, weak, and ineffectual. They kept arbitrary rules and dogmatic bullshit and wrapped itself in a weak dying republic. Lukes entire deal was changing this to reset and be more human. It comes up again and again in Kotor as well. Jedi suck at running things.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Was thinking about this some more. I don't think they'll have Vader kill Ahsoka, not just because it is a kids show, but because it would make him retroactively irredeemable. As in having a character save his biological son he barely knows doesn't absolve him from murdering the adopted daughter he helped raise.

Edit: Although Lucas did sort of do that already by having him kill all those kids in episode 3.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah and while he didn't pull the trigger himself, he was pretty directly involved in murdering 2 billion people when they blew up Alderaan. Killing the younglings was when the whole fall to the dark side thing jumped the shark for me. I don't see how it could be possible to just immediately make the change from conflicted hero to soulless child murderer without any kind of transition. I mean yeah they obviously foreshadowed his fall when he wiped out those sand people, but that was still motivated by revenge which is a very understandable motivation. If they had sort of made him seem like a bit of a sociopath from the very beginning then I would have had no trouble believing the sudden switch, except I would then have trouble believing he would have any reason to betray the Emperor to save his son.

Pretty sure that despite turning away from the Dark Side, if he had survived the escape from the Death Star, he would have been facing execution for his crimes from the Rebel Alliance/New Republic.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
not really. its as you say. killing a couple kids, we dont know off screen, in his "falling" point, vs killing a well liked main character later, when visible as Vader shortly before his redemption is much different.

It would definitely put Vader back into that "fuck that guy" category.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
He slaughtered women and children before the younglings. Remember he wiped out that whole Tuskan village in Episode 2, and that was just because he was pissed. By the time he kills the younglings he has already given up on being good and fell to the Dark Side after the Emperor kills Windu.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It wasn't just because he was pissed, they killed his mother. That's a helluva lot more than 'just because he was pissed'. Killing younglings that he probably knows by name and has possibly even spent time with is a whole different ball of yarn and wildly out of character for someone who has so freshly been turned to the dark side.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well Clone Wars is still canon, which means Darth Maul may still be alive and in possession of the Darksaber. A cameo from Darth Maul would be no more ridiculous than R2 and 3PO or Lando showing up, although I can't imagine the Emperor sending him to the same area where he sent Vader.

I wonder if the Clone Wars Legacy stuff will all be canon too. I haven't read the Son of Dathomir arc, so maybe Maul isn't even alive. I imagine it isn't completely impossible to see Ventress depending on when the second season starts, Dark Disciple is due out in June and my guess would be she survives the book.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Darksaber was a battlestation that was basically just the big laser from the death star with engines and a hyperdrive.