Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I was very much in the camp of hating Kylo taking his helmet off the first time I saw it, but on a second viewing it worked a lot better because you could clearly see their intent of showing what an insecure, immature, and whiny pussy he was, hiding behind the "mask" of being a super badass with all these powers.
Would of worked a lot better if he only took off the mask when Solo confronted him.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
I thought the story was Lucas just wanted to make a sci fi movie and show off special effects, and the directors of ESB and RotJ insisted on a more meaty plot? Either way, "made up as Lucas went along" is accurate, but I think the credit to Lucas is misplaced.
This is a bit wrong. The actual producer of Star Wars and Empire Strikes back was Gary Kurtz. Kurtz quit for RotJ because Lucas was more interested in toy sales, as they make 3x the amount of money a movie does, than the actual plot of the movie.

Gary Kurtz interview.

Quote from Kurtz on the original idea for the ending of RotJ.

"We had an outline and George changed everything in it," Kurtz said. "Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn't want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason."

The discussed ending of the film that Kurtz favored presented the rebel forces in tatters, Leia grappling with her new duties as queen and Luke walking off alone "like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns," as Kurtz put it.
As for Empire, Lucas did change a number of items from the original screenplay that Leigh Brackett had written. Brackett died only a month after doing the screenplay for Lucas and in that original screenplay, Darth/Anakin was NOT Luke's father. So although most of Empire's screenplay was written by someone else, he did change it for several things.

Darth Vader was not originally Luke's father.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If you watch enough "makings of ..." from really good to great movies you eventually come to realize that some of the best things about some of the movies you love from specific castings all the way down to minor plot points occur by accident or come close to never occurring with incredible frequency. Star Wars could be a case study in that phenomena.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
If you watch enough "makings of ..." from really good to great movies you eventually come to realize that some of the best things about some of the movies you love from specific castings all the way down to minor plot points occur by accident or come close to never occurring with incredible frequency. Star Wars could be a case study in that phenomena.
Totally a different genre, but Forgetting Sarah Marshall is one of my favorite comedies...watched it with the commentary once and was stunned by how many of my favorite parts were accidents or last-minute rewrites. Every once in a while I come across something like that original script for Jedi that I think would have made the movie more amazing in my mind, but just as often I hear what a script was originally and the changes and accidents are what made it amazing.

Siliconemelons

This is a bit wrong. The actual producer of Star Wars and Empire Strikes back was Gary Kurtz. Kurtz quit for RotJ because Lucas was more interested in toy sales, as they make 3x the amount of money a movie does, than the actual plot of the movie.

Gary Kurtz interview.

Quote from Kurtz on the original idea for the ending of RotJ.

As for Empire, Lucas did change a number of items from the original screenplay that Leigh Brackett had written. Brackett died only a month after doing the screenplay for Lucas and in that original screenplay, Darth/Anakin was NOT Luke's father. So although most of Empire's screenplay was written by someone else, he did change it for several things.

Darth Vader was not originally Luke's father.
You can now see that some of that came through in the force awakens and events leading to it...funny how things like that work out eh ;-)

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
I've got nothing against Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan, you can't exactly dig up Alec Guiness to play him. But having a Yoda force ghost would be more up my alley.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Who said anything about a force ghost? Obi-Wan is still alive, the character Alec Guinness played was a life model decoy.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
With shooting having started I guess we're gonna need an Ep VIII thread soon.

Ewan McGregor Could Return as Obi-Wan in Star Wars Episode VIII
I think if anyone deserves to be in this new trilogy it's him. Sure Qui-gon and Darth Maul were pretty cool but Ewan McGregor put up with three movies and every single poorly written love scene and just horrid acting. Let this dude have a moment or so... Though I would like to have some Qui-gon and Yoda worked in there.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Obi-wans story is told, there is no reason he needs to be in this trilogy. I suspect its just a unsubstantiated rumor.
It certainly makes sense for him to show up as a force ghost; he showed up to shoot the shit with Yoda while Yoda was training Luke, so it would not be surprising to see him show up to do the same with Luke while he trains Rey.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It certainly makes sense for him to show up as a force ghost; he showed up to shoot the shit with Yoda while Yoda was training Luke, so it would not be surprising to see him show up to do the same with Luke while he trains Rey.
"Makes sense" is so far from should happen. It's not necessary in the slightest. When your actor dies and you he's not in any way critical to the story, you simply don't write him in. You don't Fucking CGI him or make a new inconsistency by having a different actor play him. That's a garbage George Lucas move.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
"Makes sense" is so far from should happen. It's not necessary in the slightest. When your actor dies and you he's not in any way critical to the story, you simply don't write him in. You don't Fucking CGI him or make a new inconsistency by having a different actor play him. That's a garbage George Lucas move.
It's something people call "fan service", which i hate

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I vote episode eight thread, but anyone could simply start one so I guess I don't care enough to bother!