Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Luke lookin' good on board the Falcon. Kylo's words there about letting the past die gain extra meaning with him in the ship that was so much of part of his old friend's life.

And the scene in the rain with Rey holding up the lightsaber looks to be from the same sequence of her and Luke in the fog from the previous trailer. I wonder if that's "real" or a Dagobah cave sort of situation.

Also I'm really liking Williams' updated version of the Imperial theme (would that be the First Order's theme?).

Last edited:

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
that scene is also reversed. Rey is a righty, and she's holding that saber lefty.

Royal

Ahh, I didn't catch that. Editorial hijinks to misdirect maybe. Also it doesn't look to be raining in the shot on Luke but it definitely is when Rey sparks up the saber.

edit: The trailer sleuths are all over this already, pointing out her wristband is on the correct arm so the image hasn't been flipped but it seems that it is being shown reversed; she's lowering her saber not raising it.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
that scene is also reversed. Rey is a righty, and she's holding that saber lefty.

No she's not. You put your dominant hand above your non-dominant on a sword hilt if you're going to wield it two handed to gain more precise control. She is just bringing it in to her left hand rather than starting with a one hand grip and choking up.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Worried about too much wannabe Han Solo/Kevin Hart effect making its way up from the cutting room floor.

If I didn't read that Kathy had to threaten to kill Finn in this movie, I wouldn't be concerned about it. This gives me a little cause for concern. Kevin Hart sucks.

Finn looked like he was doing his best Kevin Hart impression "WHOOOOOOO"

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Until we hear otherwise I propose that indeed we call this the First Order Theme or First Order March and it is quite lovely

Royal

Finn looked like he was doing his best Kevin Hart impression "WHOOOOOOO"

He's (Ric) Flairin'.

Kevin Hart is a johnny-come-lately.

Back to the new TV spot, there's some speculation that while the "Darkness rises ..." line is obviously Snoke's the rest of the quote is ...

... spoken by Yoda. I have to admit, it does kinda sound like him. But it gets a little too sinister at the end there for me to fully buy into that just yet.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I side with the mouse, I think. I drink the kool-aid and ask for more. That goddamn mouse is going to be responsible for the best entertainment I (MCU, Star Wars) and my daughter (live action Lion King, Frozen 2, Coco, new Incredibles and Toy Story) experience over the next 3-5 years. The mouse is king, all hail the mouse.

I also can't read the whole article because paywall so maybe there is something in there that would make me feel bad for the theater industry. I don't think so though. I welcome my mouse overlords.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

Well it's not without precedent where Star Wars is concerned. I think Lucasfilm got 100% of the ticket price for the initial weeks of the prequel releases as well as pretty high cuts (75% +) of the box office for the various special edition runs.

The new wrinkle here is the requirement that the theaters run the movie on their largest screens for a minimum of 4 weeks or pay a penalty. I think the real intent of that is to give some teeth to Disney staking out release dates on the calendar should they extend the practice to their other major releases and convince the other studios to give their big tent poles a wide berth by relegating them to the non-prime screens if they don't.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If my local Alamo drafthouse does their normal overnight stuff for the first weekend I will be going to one of the graveyard screenings.

Royal

Something else that someone who dissects these trailer for little details far more than I do caught:

The lightsaber that Rey is using at the end has a mocap antenna plainly visible on the base of the hilt (you can see it in the YouTube cover still, it looks like a white blob hanging off the bottom). They typically switch those out with a regular version of the prop when shooting in tight. So either it slipped past them when they were editing (which did happen with TFA) or they never bothered to remove it digitally because the shot wasn't going to be used anyway.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Fuck the theaters and I say this as a person whose first job in high school and college was at a movie theater. They were in a 'you need us more than we need you' mentality for decades and their lack of innovation or service dug their own graves. Each and every theater exec owes it to themselves to drop to their knees and blow James Cameron on sight given that his breakthrough use of 3D in Avatar opened up a floodgate for exhibitors to drastically jack up ticket prices and drove people back to cinemas to see something they couldn't at home.

In a totally unrelated note, I liked how open Kathleen Kennedy has been about their intention to keep Finn,Rey, Poe, BB8 etc around after Episode IX as well as the decision to open up more of the Star Wars world to filmmakers. I think going into it they felt that Rogue One was risky but Solo was a sure bet... I think when things settle down we will see people have more of an appetite for seeing different segments of the Star Wars universe rather that seeing previously unknown details about Ackbar's childhood or Wedge's days at the Academy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users