Starbound

While the game certainly has it's share of bugs, it is awesome and pretty much everything I wanted it to be.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
This was part of a humble bundle? I don't remember that o_O Sad I don't seem to have it in any of mine.

Rime

<Donor>
This was part of a humble bundle? I don't remember that o_O Sad I don't seem to have it in any of mine.
No.

It is/was being sold on the Humble Daily Sale page, a day before it was available on Steam, I believe.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
No.

It is/was being sold on the Humble Daily Sale page, a day before it was available on Steam, I believe.
Oh that makes more sense, thanks. I'm just gonna keep an eye out over the Holiday sale and see if it goes like 20% off or something before I grab it for full price.

Goonsquad Officer
can you still host like in terraria?

I was trying to figure out how to set up a multiplayer game for me and my wife at home and it seemed to only want an IP

Doubt

Lord Nagafen Raider
don't use starbound.exe if you are, use the launcher.exe

In bottom right-corner of the luncher, is a launch server button, let it run for a minute and do its thing, then start a MP game and have wife enter your IP.

edit-after you start up a MP you'll both be on different ships over different planets. There is a plus symbol under your character portrait, use it to group and then you can warp to each other.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No.

Chucklefish used humble bundle for people that pre-ordered off their website, and so did some kickstarters:

Barkley (shut up and jam gaiden) 2 (can't fucking wait)
Delver's Drop (in alpha)
Jagged Alliance: Flashback
Star Command (android version was disappointing)
Starbound (awesome)
War for the Overworld (dungeon keeper clone)
Word Realms (funny fucking game)

Those are the kickstarters I donated to that are using it. It's pretty damn handy.

Chris

Potato del Grande
How can I play this game now? Is it out or do I need to preorder or..?

Caliane

Just to be clear as well.

This is a very early beta. Practically would call it alpha.
Its playable... but kindof a mess. Lots of bugs, lots of missing content. unfinished content. Broken content. Balance is not existent. etc.

Currently, there are some upgrades, but also alot of stuff that is outright a step backwards from Terraria honestly. and its hard to say if its poor design choices, or just part of half finished content.

baerf_sl

shitlord
There's supposed to be a big patch coming tomorrow, which means a complete wipe as well. But it's supposed to include an improved item system and combat improvements plus extra content and bug fixes.

Nice new update coming soon , rebalance of the damage system and instead of 100 planet lvls only 10 which is nice and not confusing. Digging this new system they are talking about , but characters will be wiped for it. What he said above.....

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Unless I'm missing something, apparently you can equip 4 techs but only have 1 active at a given time? So I have to choose between double jump vs quick dash. Maybe it's just some types that overlap? So far that's the main thing I miss from terraria, all the special ability gear you can acquire.

Caliane

Yeah, old damage system was pretty shitty.

Basically everything came down to either one shot you, or did no damage. and same vs monsters. +/- 5 levels was oneshot territory.
And of course incredibly not intuitive.

Another concern right now is the nature of the universe generation.
There is one universe. Everyone who plays, has the same universe.

The universe was procedurally generated.
Planets are procedurally generated.

But its not random. the seed is based on the coordinates.
For example, my friends and I spawned on x:68079516,Y;-35819674

If you type that into your nav com. you can visit our world. now, our player constructions wont be there. but every npc, every chest, every tree, etc from its natural creation will be EXACTLY the same.
Spawn and to the right a short way will be an eyeball forest.

There are currently lists being made of "key" locations.
Map coords where you can travel to a planet, and within seconds of spawn, find NPC towns, chests etc. Want a level 10 gun at level 1?
x:59877410y:-70634402
go to the left about 20 seconds. climb up the anchor.
cost about 900 pixels for 2handers.

So on one hand its neat that you can share "cool" finds and locations. But the reality is^ that is what happens. Instead of "Decillion" worlds. the same 10 will get visited as people use the ones that have core advantages to their benefit.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
You are basically ruining the game for yourself if you look up coordinates to grab easy stuff without exploring.

Also it was really shitty of them to basically announce a wipe is coming on friday and not do it until monday. Lost any desire to play at all.