starting new job -- should I lie to HR and say i'm a homo?

nate_sl

shitlord
I don't understand why you're being asked this, and it seems borderline illegal.

They usually ask you to self identify age, race, gender (for companies with government contracts there are diversity minimums they must maintain), but never had them ask for sexuality, and I work at MegaCorp.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I don't understand why you're being asked this, and it seems borderline illegal.

They usually ask you to self identify age, race, gender (for companies with government contracts there are diversity minimums they must maintain), but never had them ask for sexuality, and I work at MegaCorp.
...BETTER NATE THAN LEVER!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If you're already late, may as well mastur-nate.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure it's not against any federal law. It's against some state laws, but not all
Last I checked it wasn't allowed even as an EOE question. Been out of the game a few years though before the whole sexual identity thing blew up the past couple years though.

More to the OP, no, just don't. Any type of lie to HR can come back to haunt you, so unless you want to walk on eggshells during the entire career and risk losing it over a pointless lie - no. My company was super lenient about firing people where we required a multi-stage order before we fired someone, but if they lied to HR, all bets were off and they didn't even get a warning with their first error instead of warning, minor penalty, firing. (for the worst case stuff - minor stuff was a much longer cycle - basically unless you were violent or stealing was the only other way for a quick firing, everything else was warn, minor penalty, fire or more mild)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Last I checked it wasn't allowed even as an EOE question. Been out of the game a few years though before the whole sexual identity thing blew up the past couple years though.
FFS stop parachuting into threads with your experience being an assistant manager at a grocery store back in the 90's.

Vaclav

FFS stop parachuting into threads with your experience being an assistant manager at a grocery store back in the 90's.
a) 2007 was my retirement year (Easterish specifically - problems started about 2 weeks before, and fought with the idea of taking the extended break that became retirement for a while)
b) I was human resources, not management proper - last (and only) time I was an assistant manager would be in the early 90's with a Babbage's =p (I was educated in the late 90's though)

I literally did nothing but hiring and training (and disciplinary paperwork, not that I normally needed to do the disciplining personally except when the rare lawsuit happened, always had me have to be a witness for our side - weee) - with 400 staff at my last location and opening new locations every two years or so (since that was my focus) - and I hate training so I had the longterm HR folk (we'd have 3 at a location generally, me the "opener" that would lead until I left for the next open - the longterm HR lead and then their HR assistant) handle it as much as possible, so I did lots and lots of hiring. And we did have people fill out the EOE paperwork for the tax benefits - which ours certainly didn't ask orientation.

And from anything I'm seeing to see if there's been updates made I don't see it. I've stopped getting HR mags since my move however - weren't relevant to me anymore and didn't bother updating my address. Not that I'd read the past few years anyhow.

PS - I'd have actually made more if I was an ASM I think, their base salary was higher (way more work though) - think they tended to get fewer bonuses however. But ASM's at our company literally did zero hiring as well outside of helping me multitask interviews during mass hiring phases pre-opening.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

More to the OP, no, just don't. Any type of lie to HR can come back to haunt you, so unless you want to walk on eggshells during the entire career and risk losing it over a pointless lie - no. My company was super lenient about firing people where we required a multi-stage order before we fired someone, but if they lied to HR, all bets were off and they didn't even get a warning with their first error instead of warning, minor penalty, firing. (for the worst case stuff - minor stuff was a much longer cycle - basically unless you were violent or stealing was the only other way for a quick firing, everything else was warn, minor penalty, fire or more mild)
Why do you think all of these religious freedom acts are popping up? Because there is no federal law that protects sexual preference. If they can fire you because you are gay (and give you that as the reason), they can ask it at an interview

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Only morons fire someone because they are gay. There's a 1,000 legal things you can fire even a great employee for. The easiest is to lay someone off and change the title of the person you hire to replace them.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'd pretend to be gay if I got to jiggle Jessica Biel's tits.

Vaclav

Why do you think all of these religious freedom acts are popping up? Because there is no federal law that protects sexual preference. If they can fire you because you are gay (and give you that as the reason), they can ask it at an interview
Eh, maybe where that nonsense is allowed - I was educated and worked in the NE. It seems an obvious reach to something that should be protected in employment, but you might be right with how wacky some of the laws with such has been recently.

Vaclav

Only morons fire someone because they are gay. There's a 1,000 legal things you can fire even a great employee for. The easiest is to lay someone off and change the title of the person you hire to replace them.
Depends on the size of your company - it's a bit harder to play games with that with a bigger company - and pretty sure some state-tier work agreements prevent such gamesmanship. (Not to mention union contracts for those places effected - not dealt with a union, but I've read example union contracts for discipline/removal and they're downright byzantine)

Patience and being hypercritical is often enough pressure to either make people quit or slip up enough to make enough errors to get removed though with patience however as well, in my experience. Same net, but different angle.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I would say lying in writing for a job is always a good idea. Never a bad reason to go ahead and give them a reason to terminate you.

ili_sl

shitlord
Seems to me like he has nothing to lose. If he doesn't lie he will most likely be looked over for promotions ending up in the same spot that he was in before.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's a lie they can't legally ask you to confirm and in many cases you can't.

Brad2770

No need to outright say you're gay. Talk with a lisp. When and if you feel you're being held back, drop that you're gay. The lisp will pretty much confirm it. Along with the gay ass clothes you used to post in the fashion thread on the FoH board.