Starting your own LLC etc.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Siliconemelons

I am wanting to finally start a company officially - I have been doing side IT work for a few years now that has netted enough money to report on my personal taxes - filling that out it is always kind of vague and I never really go down any of the lines of deducting car or house % for the business because I really do not have records - yeah I use my car, but its mostly my personal car... I "could" dedicate 10% of my house to the business... I never claimed these things as if I ever got audited I could not prove it...

So I want to make a LLC or whatever to separate it in terms of taxes and to be more official.

I live in FL... I know some google could help me but seeking advice from those that may have done it what the best process is- did you use a 3rd party like legalzoom or whatever to prep and make the forms easy or did you peace together everything from the state and local resources?

How do you pay yourself? How much of my car use has to be for the business to write it as an expense? etc.

thanks, and mods delete if there already is a thread like this - I looked :p

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I recently went through this for the first time. I asked around and was referred to a local attorney who sets up LLCs for a flate rate of $500. It's pretty straight forward. You answer a few questions, sign some paperwork, and a few days later you have the IRS paperwork saying your LLC has been created.

I think $500 was the same price as Legal Zoom.

Also, regarding your other questions, you should chat with a small business CPA.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
In NY that shit costs ~1000 dollars if you do it through a third party. I did it myself for ~800. The hassle wasnt fucking worth it. Thanks to publishing requirements I had to spend an hour or so calling different news papers to negotiate publishing price. Pain in the balls.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I recently went through this for the first time. I asked around and was referred to a local attorney who sets up LLCs for a flate rate of $500. It's pretty straight forward. You answer a few questions, sign some paperwork, and a few days later you have the IRS paperwork saying your LLC has been created.

I think $500 was the same price as Legal Zoom.

Also, regarding your other questions, you should chat with a small business CPA.

Siliconemelons Siliconemelons To just set up a simple LLC I'd recommend not using an attorney or legal zoom, it's a rip off for filling out a simple piece of paper. In most states you just fill out a piece of paper and either bring or mail it to the capital building and pay the filing fee (was cheap in cali) and your done. Now you might have a yearly tax, even if you do zero business (800 if fagifornia), but a lot of states won't tax you if you don't do any business.

edit: I guess depending on state if it's super fucky it might be worth it, but I couldn't imagine FL being that bad.

Last edited:

Oldbased

> Than U
In Kentucky it takes about 10 minutes and $40. Every year they send info on renewal and you can pay it online with credit card on the gov site. EasyPeasy here.

Siliconemelons

Thanks all, I will check it out - I have a friend that just did his LLC I saw today so I will ask him how he did the process.

Last I looked (many years ago) it was a few steps in Florida because you had to register your factitious name as well, get your tax ID etc. and they all were separated forms and processes - while I see and have been told some other states have made it into a single process to make is easier.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I believe in Michigan there were 3 or 4 forms in and a couple back, plus one in the mail. I asked people who had been through it multiple times and they suggested using an attorney. Sounds like it varies a lot by state.

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
First you need to determine if you want an LLC, c-Corp, s-Corp etc. then you need to determine what state you want to file in then. I assume sole ownership of the shares...

You need to get a federal ein, state etc.

Just cover your basis from a tax, liability and privacy perspective

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I have a C-corp in Delaware to avoid taxes on it. I incorporated way too soon but oh well.

Are you doing business in a state other than Delaware? Because if you are, you should be foreign registered in that state and paying taxes on the business you do in that state. Registering just in DE to avoid taxes is playing with fire.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Are you doing business in a state other than Delaware? Because if you are, you should be foreign registered in that state and paying taxes on the business you do in that state. Registering just in DE to avoid taxes is playing with fire.
I am doing 0 business right now, I have a foreign agent registered in DE.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I live in FL... I know some google could help me but seeking advice from those that may have done it what the best process is- did you use a 3rd party like legalzoom or whatever to prep and make the forms easy or did you peace together everything from the state and local resources?

How do you pay yourself? How much of my car use has to be for the business to write it as an expense? etc.

thanks, and mods delete if there already is a thread like this - I looked :p

I have two LLCs, one for my Second Life business (I'll call this the SL LLC), and another for my real estate business with my wife. The SL business is an S-Corp, and the real estate is a partnership (so more or less an LLP but for texas, they recognize only as LLC).

A few things here - more geared toward an S-Corp which is probably desirable for taxes, but check with your tax advisor first:

1. I used the same attorney to set up my SL LLC and my real estate LLC. The real estate however was a special LLC available in Texas called a "Series LLC" which is good to keep assets (read: houses) completely seperate from each other legally but still owned by one master LLC. I'm not sure what florida has in this regard, or whether or not you would need it, but it's there in Texas at least. It's true in Texas, fill out 2 pages, and send it off and walla, LLC. However, there are many parts to owning an LLC, and I highly suggest a lawyer for this purpose. Ours charged $600 (on top of filing fees in Texas) and gives us support "for the life of the corporation".

2. The SL LLC I'll talk more about because it's a single LLC. As I said above, for IRS purposes, it's an S-Corp. For this reason, I need to treat it like a bonafied corporation. Therefore, I have board meetings, policies and procedures (eg: Capitalization agreements) etc. I have a complete operating agreement, for example, what happens when I die who gets the assets of the corporation, etc. LOTS of shit you don't think of, another reason I'd suggest a lawyer. Also my situation being a Second Life business is unique. Linden Lab only recognized individual ownership of the avatars, but my business technically owns my in-world avatars, so my lawyer, in the operating agreement of the corporation, had to go through a lot of legalese to explain it.

3. I pay myself a salary, and cut myself a check every month for a small amount but should still be "reasonable for your position". I put that I'm a "senior app developer" and a salary of around 50k a year. However, if I want more, I generally have retained earnings in my bank account and can just pay myself a bonus by withdrawing them (untaxed because they have already been taxed though a K1 on my personal return since I am 100% shareholder). DONT pay yourself a bonafied bonus, or you'll have to pay a lot more tax. My CPA handles my payroll, and I'm registered through EFTPS to handle automatic debits from my business checking account for my taxes and payroll taxes. Also federal unemployment and state unemployment through there as well.

4. You need to make sure you can even use the name. In Texas, for a DBA, any name will be granted. However, for an LLC, you can't even have the name that is even close to another (i.e. There's a "Dragon Financial" in texas, but "Dragon Games" will not fly). Florida might have something similar. Your lawyer can handle all this.

5. You will need to handle yearly "meetings" to satisfy the IRS requirement that you have a legitimate corporation. My CPA handles all this. I'm more than happy to show you an example of the kind of agreements I'm talking about.

6. SEPARATE 100% OF EVERYTHING. Buy all your shit legit (Windows 10, Office, etc). DO NOT INTERMINGLE ASSETS. This is the #1 mistake people make. In my home office, 99.99999% of everything in here was bought and paid for by the corporation. My bank account for my business is separate from my personal. I don't use personal funds to buy things for hte business and vice versa. While I do buy things like computers and stuff through the corporation, they are legit business expenses. I cannot stress this one enough. If you get sued, and the court or anyone else can prove you've been intermingling shit, the court will just toss out your LLC and make you personally liable.

7. I hired a seperate lawyer to make a terms of service and a privacy policy for me, both of which cost me about $1,500 to do. Not sure if this is needed for your stuff or not, but make sure you protect your business.

ask anything else specific if you wanna know.

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Siliconemelons Siliconemelons To just set up a simple LLC I'd recommend not using an attorney or legal zoom, it's a rip off for filling out a simple piece of paper. In most states you just fill out a piece of paper and either bring or mail it to the capital building and pay the filing fee (was cheap in cali) and your done. Now you might have a yearly tax, even if you do zero business (800 if fagifornia), but a lot of states won't tax you if you don't do any business.

Forming an LLC is easy. Making the LLC truly having the benefits of an LLC is hard.

Side note, in Texas, you have to do $1,000,000 of revenue to get taxed. However, even if you don't owe you still must file.