State Of Decay 2 - May 22nd Release

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds like it's dead if it went that long without a fix, and now Update 28 is right around the corner too.

I might give Heartland another go after the update.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Last CE update I saw the guy said it was very unlikely to be updated until between xmas and new year's. From what I understand Undead Labs goes out of their way to break shit in the savegame file structure with each update so it's a lot of work keeping up with them, but for whatever reason he seems pretty unwilling to release the source for anyone else to help out or take over if he gives up on it entirely.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Heartland is such buggy trash, even more so than the rest of the game. Started a new playthrough and going through the story, then Captain Logan just randomly fucking dies while I'm on a different mission.

Ultra triggered.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I am trying to do all the lethal boons, got trader done, working on builder.

Put up a builder sniper tower. 50 influence for cover to get me out of rough spots, nice. Start putzing around near some barn, rile up a horde and call in some sniper shit. I *think* i got hit by one of the sniper rounds and it pushed me literally to the other fucking corner of the map and near killed me. I exit out so I don't fucking die immediately, come back and yes...i am indeed in the corner of the fucking map, nowhere near base, nowhere near an outpost, nowhere near a car.

Even if I survive the run to an outpost, I still can't do anything but switch to another character there. I can't even believe they keep updating this game and shit like this still exists.

• 1Worf

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Heartland is such buggy trash, even more so than the rest of the game. Started a new playthrough and going through the story, then Captain Logan just randomly fucking dies while I'm on a different mission.

Ultra triggered.
Should make a rule around this place you can’t say the word “triggered” if you are over the age of 35.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

hardcore SoD2 nerd mathed out the difference between crafting with munitions and just sorting ammo rucks randomly. TLDW: on green/standard/nightmare its about 20% more efficient to sort ammo rucks than it is to craft with armory/ammo presses and munitions bonus, assuming you dont mind having to tailor your gun use to whatever ammo you get instead of crafting your preference. In Dread/Lethal it comes out about even due to a number being rounded up.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This was a solid fun game, and I had extra fun playing with my son just going around the world and killing zombies. The issue I had was it just got boring doing the same thing over and over. Move bases, stock up, kill the blight spots, repeat. When I "logged in", I wanted to be able to do something else, and it wasn't there.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They nailed the core gameplay loop, but it took them 2 games to do it and that's all the game has.

They really need to set the bar higher for SoD 3.

• 1Truth!

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>

hardcore SoD2 nerd mathed out the difference between crafting with munitions and just sorting ammo rucks randomly. TLDW: on green/standard/nightmare its about 20% more efficient to sort ammo rucks than it is to craft with armory/ammo presses and munitions bonus, assuming you dont mind having to tailor your gun use to whatever ammo you get instead of crafting your preference. In Dread/Lethal it comes out about even due to a number being rounded up.

Solid tip.

The other tip I learned that saves you a fuckton of headache is that you don't need to be home for seiges. And no, I don't mean pay the 3 ammo for not being there either. I mean, switch characters at an Outpost, which counts you as being "home" and then just go back after the seige timer counts down.

It's complete bullshit cheese, but I figure since the game spawns bloaters under my car and my car hangs on every pebble in the road, I consider Undead Labs and I to be even.

I am currently trying to make a lethal community of all white males. Holy shit what a woke fucking game. I already bent and had to include white females, and now I'm wondering if I need to bend further and take the obvious second generation Hispanics. Shit is just taking forever.

Oh well, gives me something to do.

• 1Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, for the fact most towns seem to be bum fuck whitesville there sure was a lot of diversity.

I was doing a community of only white women, but then decided to add Asian, male doctor and indian computer guy. It's not like I kept the black chick doing agriculture! That would be racist, so I exiled her ass.

Searching for good stats characters if fitting demographics almost kept the game interesting. But not quite. Quit like 23 days into my 100 day challenge.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol my three 'all-stars' that I always used to start new communities with are an indian woman, a black woman, and an arab woman/RT op. I made the mistake of using them to start my new permanent community so I guess they're either in permanent retirement or I'll have to find someone to transfer my best loot out of this community into a new permanent community so I can put them back in the pool.

although I might be leaving the black woman behind from now on in favor of another RT op, a perfectly rolled demo guy with a trillion hp.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They nailed the core gameplay loop, but it took them 2 games to do it and that's all the game has.

They really need to set the bar higher for SoD 3.
I played SoD 2 on release and found it to be "meh" compared to SoD1 with all its expansions.

Has it been improved enough to be worth a replay? I'm mostly looking for an improved "endgame" like SoD1 had with Breakdown where each map got harder.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I played SoD 2 on release and found it to be "meh" compared to SoD1 with all its expansions.

Has it been improved enough to be worth a replay? I'm mostly looking for an improved "endgame" like SoD1 had with Breakdown where each map got harder.

If you're looking for that, no.

Lethal is lethal, and that's all you get. Once you learn how to melee ferals and jugs there's no new challenge. Game can still fuck you up, but it's not like Breakdown.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

They added a few curveballs, like the plague territory update from may (you can no longer claim outposts until you clear out a plague heart). Lethal is just Nightmare with less loot and more ferals.

Like I said, the core gameplay loop has been refined quite well, that's just still all the game has. If you like a challenge and never experienced Nightmare/Lethal, you should give it a try. Hell even Dread is a significant step up from how trivially easy Standard has become.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Lethal is a good step up. I really enjoy it. Shit can go sideways in a hurry, so there's always that "edge of your seat" thing going on.

But, at the end of the day, once you get that figured out, the game is still just the game. Nothing new. I have the Lethal Warlord boon and then the 100 day cheevo and I'm about done, I think. Back to Gloomhaven.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lethal is a good step up. I really enjoy it. Shit can go sideways in a hurry, so there's always that "edge of your seat" thing going on.

But, at the end of the day, once you get that figured out, the game is still just the game. Nothing new. I have the Lethal Warlord boon and then the 100 day cheevo and I'm about done, I think. Back to Gloomhaven.
Ok confession time, I still struggle with my first lethal community even after making it as easy a start as possible. The two main problems are A) how much time I've spent on the trivially easy normal difficulty with max level survivors and B) I watch a youtuber called 'Git Gud Fox' who has spent so much time in lethal that he sometimes does challenges to spice thing up and I think that made me overconfident. The other day I lost a survivor (according to the achievements, the first survivor I had ever lost) trying to take care of an infestation who managed to get overwhelmed even though she had a pyro launcher equipped.

I dunno, it's just nerve-wracking. I can barely stand to let a survivor that isn't a red talon leave my base, and even they feel fragile. The Impaler guzzles gas like mad but it's the only thing I feel comfortable driving and it eats repair kits like candy even doing my best to avoid frontal hits on zombies.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Ok confession time, I still struggle with my first lethal community even after making it as easy a start as possible. The two main problems are A) how much time I've spent on the trivially easy normal difficulty with max level survivors and B) I watch a youtuber called 'Git Gud Fox' who has spent so much time in lethal that he sometimes does challenges to spice thing up and I think that made me overconfident. The other day I lost a survivor (according to the achievements, the first survivor I had ever lost) trying to take care of an infestation who managed to get overwhelmed even though she had a pyro launcher equipped.

I dunno, it's just nerve-wracking. I can barely stand to let a survivor that isn't a red talon leave my base, and even they feel fragile. The Impaler guzzles gas like mad but it's the only thing I feel comfortable driving and it eats repair kits like candy even doing my best to avoid frontal hits on zombies.

So, I had Nightmare down pretty good and had stuff like you describe. Felt Red Talons were unstoppable, had the game on lock, etc.

But I had read enough to know that Lethal is its own animal, so I rolled up 3 random survivors....good enough that I had my bases covered for skills, but not good enough that I'd become attached to that. And I started with that.

I made it half an hour.

Holy shit did I learn a lot in that half an hour. I had considered myself a pro at the game, and that half an hour taught me that I didn't know shit. When you have to start from zero, the game goes out of its way to show you priorities.

First of all, if you get a material ruck, don't deposit it when you get back to your base. A quest will spawn immediately giving you some. Huge help.

Before that, however, is that first feral. Heavy weapons are your friend. If you have one, great. If not...the 2 AI's are gonna need to pull their weight. You can lose right there without really doing anything wrong, and that's what makes a good zombie game, imo.

I use heavy weapons almost exclusively, because you can stunlock ferals with them. Swords are great for the frontal execute, but they don't do shit vs Ferals. You've gotta have a plan for ferals, everything else you fight is the same, but never leave home without a heavy weapon.

The next thing you need is infirmary 2 for healing, asap. Build it before anything else. And plague samples. You need lots, or you're gonna die.

You've gotta sneak on lethal. All over the place. You've gotta learn to park on lethal...always park with your hood up against something and NEVER enter your car from the driver's side. The zombies will rip your door off and you out.

Infestation? Firecrackers and molotovs. All while crouched. You don't need to expose yourself any other way.

Lethal is the same game, only it really punishes sloppy play. After that though, it's very rewarding, because every ruck is something you earned. It wasn't just given to you.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Before that, however, is that first feral. Heavy weapons are your friend. If you have one, great. If not...the 2 AI's are gonna need to pull their weight. You can lose right there without really doing anything wrong, and that's what makes a good zombie game, imo.
Impaler instakills blood ferals if you just slowly back towards them. But yeah I need to be more careful with where i park the car and probably rely on distraction+molotov for infestations for now.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Impaler instakills blood ferals if you just slowly back towards them. But yeah I need to be more careful with where i park the car and probably rely on distraction+molotov for infestations for now.

I'm at work right now, but later tonight I'll load up the game and think about the other stuff I've forgotten.

Oh...Builder leader. The sniper tower is what you need on lethal, especially when you're first starting out. 5 minutes cooldown 50 cal sniper fire will save your bacon every time.

I don't use impaler. I literally have been rolling with the Miagra and it's upgrade ever since. Cars are rare and running to get them is very risky, so I just drive the one.