Steam Mops

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They any good or what bros? I fucking hate mopping, these steam mops seem like they'd make it less of a chore, which means I'd do it more often, which means my kitchen wouldn't need to look like the banks of the Ganges before I mopped.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have this one:

Amazon.com - Eureka Enviro Hard-Surface Floor Steamer, 313A - Household Steam Mops

Works out alright. Does leave a bit of streakiness on the hardwood but I think that is pretty much unavoidable with steam mops. I use it as my "important company isn't coming over and I don't want my floors to look like shit" category then have actual hardwood cleaner/shiner and a non-steam mop to make them look really good if I care.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
They any good or what bros? I fucking hate mopping, these steam mops seem like they'd make it less of a chore, which means I'd do it more often, which means my kitchen wouldn't need to look like the banks of the Ganges before I mopped.
Maybe you should get a wife.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
My house it about 80% tile. I own the commercial Shark steam mop. I am not sure about the other brands but I give it a 6/10, doesnt clean the tile all that well and it sometimes leave streaks. I feel my Wet Jet swifter does a better job of "moping" up dirt.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Maybe you just need a new mop system? having tried all the shitty swifer, shark steam mops and shit, i just broke down and got this

Amazon.com - Mopnado Foldable Spin Mop LIME Compact design folds up to 10 cube now includes bonus Scrub Brush - Wet Mops

a mopnado. It's the kind where you push up and down and it spins it dry and wet. You don't have to vigorously go up and down, really just 3 strokes is all you need. I've come to like these frilly microfiber mop heads, over the flat piece of swifer cloth, one time a glass fell and shatter, the mop was able to pick up everything.

It folds up nicely into a "box" so it saves space and you can stack a few things on top of it (wouldn't stack heavy shit of course). It's more expensive than the other spin type mops, but those other reviews complain about the mop heads breaking or the handle bending (this is steal, it's pretty strong) or the spin device not spinning anymore. I bought it about 2 years ago, it works nice, fuck i even learned you can sorta clean carpets by mopping, just dry vac and a light bit of water to get some of the surface dirt off.

I clean the microfiber mopheads in their own little bucket with a bit of bleach (i don't like throwing them in with my laundry, that's just nasty, wtf, who does that?) mopheads are like 8bucks.

For years, i like everyone started out with the bucket mop, some crappy device to "wring" out the water, mop horribly dunk it back into the bucket and "wring" again. Then you use a swifer and your like, oh this works sorta fine, then it's annoying when you just can't seem to get a good clean out of it. steam mop seems to take forever to "go over the area slow" but it works.

Just a good ol fashioned mop, and put some elbow grease it, actually finish faster too.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have this one:

Amazon.com - Eureka Enviro Hard-Surface Floor Steamer, 313A - Household Steam Mops

Works out alright. Does leave a bit of streakiness on the hardwood but I think that is pretty much unavoidable with steam mops. I use it as my "important company isn't coming over and I don't want my floors to look like shit" category then have actual hardwood cleaner/shiner and a non-steam mop to make them look really good if I care.
I have the same one. I bought it based on Amazon reviews and it works well and the price is right. I'm not sure you're really supposed to use them on wood though.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seems like overengineering the problem. Look into rubbermade Hygen microfiber mops. (Different heads for pure dusting vs general damp mopping.)

They use them at the hospital I worked at, so I finally got one. Wide bucket to fit the mop pads with just a wee bit of hot water and a few drops of murphys oil soap or whatever cleaner. Worked nice on my laminate wood floors. Good in kitchen. Ideally you have a few different mop pads and you just throw them in the wash.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah my bad my floors are laminate as well. For whatever reason I call them hardwood.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I have a Shark model that was about $89, and I can lookup the exact model # if you're interested, but the tech is great for cleaning the floors. I use mine to clean my hardwoods as well as the polished cement floor that houses my bulldog almost full time. It's great at getting out dried food and eliminating odor.

Pro Tips: Use distilled water instead of tap water, and refill the detergent bottle with the floor cleaner of your choice instead of reordering solution.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Wait it needs a cleaning solution? I thought it used the power of STEAM!

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Mine does not use any sort of cleaning solution.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Wait it needs a cleaning solution? I thought it used the power of STEAM!
It's optional but imho it helps. I've done it with just steam and with cleaning solution, and I prefer the latter. It doesn't seem to make a difference in overall cleaning efficacy, but it helps loosen crap that's dried onto the floor, and also leaves behind that nice lemony cleaner smell. Also, if you use it on hardwoods a good solution leaves a shine. If you do it with just water I find it leaves a dull finish. On my unit you use a trigger to spray solution from the mop head.

Or you can buy one of these. Not good for intensive cleaning, but for basic mopping it works great. I use this in tandem with my Neato robotics vacuum to keep my place DREAMER and span in between maid visits.

Amazon.com - iRobot Braava 380t Floor Mopping Robot - Robotic Intelligent Vacuums

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thought this might help.
rrr_img_95964.jpg

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
^^ This is pretty much what my research showed as well. The Eureka is allegedly about the best one and also about the cheapest. I can't compare them personally, but I can verify that steam does come out of it and the floor gets cleaner when you rub the thing on it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fuck paid Steam mops. They're going to destroy the mopping community! People should mop for the love of mopping.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fuck paid Steam mops. They're going to destroy the mopping community! People should mop for the love of mopping.
rrr_img_96081.jpg

But that's pretty shitty if 62% is the 'top' model. I guess either no one gives a shit because Dyson hasn't made one or it doesn't work as well as people think it does. I will probably try one since my house is mostly tile now but meh.