SteamOS

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't be surprised to see this OS get about as popular as MacOS and stay there indefinitely. That'd be around 3.5%. Linux users are around 1% right now.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I imagine a decent chunk of devs will hop aboard the SteamOS train and some will even go back and make a compatible executable. I'd expect a lot of support going forward for new games.
In the indie world I agree, mainstream, not a chance.

regret_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't think it'd be difficult for major devs to put together a version for a specific Linux platform, especially given Valve's ability to leverage their cut of sales on Steam. That's a big chunk of change for AAA titles. I'd imagine it all depends how aggressively Gabe wants to pursue this thing.

Desidero

N00b
lol ... without the ability to bring your library with you this is a waste of money. Steam built itself on buying cheap GOOD games later on for win/osx.
Agreed.

Most people aren't willing to leave Windows and their library of Windows-exclusive software in order to play a handful of Linux-compatible games on SteamOS. I like the idea, and I really wish Linux gaming would take off, but it's still just a dream. Even Mantle isn't a replacement for DirectX, and until DirectX is dethroned Linux cannot take over PC gaming.

Even if many games were available on Linux, I'd still have trouble giving up Office and Adobe products. Maybe someday...

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Agreed.

Most people aren't willing to leave Windows and their library of Windows-exclusive software in order to play a handful of Linux-compatible games on SteamOS. I like the idea, and I really wish Linux gaming would take off, but it's still just a dream. Even Mantle isn't a replacement for DirectX, and until DirectX is dethroned Linux cannot take over PC gaming.

Even if many games were available on Linux, I'd still have trouble giving up Office and Adobe products. Maybe someday...
I'm skeptical that you'd be using Office or Adobe products (except Flash, I suppose) on your steambox. On that note, I thought youcouldinstall windows on the boxes, they're just "optimized" for steamos?

Desidero

N00b
I'm skeptical that you'd be using Office or Adobe products (except Flash, I suppose) on your steambox. On that note, I thought youcouldinstall windows on the boxes, they're just "optimized" for steamos?
I'd imagine a large percentage of "steamboxes" will just be peoples' regular computers since it's all the same hardware. Why spend $1000 on PC hardware and not use it as a general PC as well?

Also, you can install Windows on the boxes (there is no "optimization" for SteamOS), but at that point why install SteamOS? What is the special thing you will get from it that you can't get in Windows? The Steam client already has Big Picture mode...

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't think it'd be difficult for major devs to put together a version for a specific Linux platform, especially given Valve's ability to leverage their cut of sales on Steam. That's a big chunk of change for AAA titles. I'd imagine it all depends how aggressively Gabe wants to pursue this thing.
I can't see that happening during this next gen console period. Not a chance in hell. At the end of this console generation you might see some movement on this. Not enough for just PC makers out there to fund this besides Valve, so unless Valve is planning to port console/PC games for free and do a good job at it. This is nothing but smoke up your master PC race ass.

Also, you can install Windows on the boxes (there is no "optimization" for SteamOS), but at that point why install SteamOS? What is the special thing you will get from it that you can't get in Windows? The Steam client already has Big Picture mode...
this is a more long term strat. it's open source(gpl i think) ..so that you aren't forced into ms decisions.
it's mentioned that the kernel/drivers are optimized... not so much the games at this point.
interesting, they mentioned that their games won't be steamos exclusive.

actual benefits over windows at this point.. none really thus far for the avg joe.
(i'm assuming that their controller with work on windows)
might get higher fps in some games for those with lower hardware... especially future *mobile* gaming
input/output latency: this matters for vr and i'm assuming much of their work is getting the numbers down.
boot to vr mode (similar to bigscreenmode) eventually i expect.
i just wish they push for a standardized hrtf

hopefully they'll have a wubi installer at some point
i'd make it so that maybe they'll take less of a cut if you put out stuff for linux temporarily. still may not be worth it from the pov of a dev though
edit: i'd make so that all v1 source game are bundled with steamos for free .

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
They don't need to do anything like that, they can just take a lower cut of the sale price if the game supports steamOS compared to those who don't.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
presumably, steamos is for native linux games only. ..eventually though i imagine you coudl use wine on a modded distro. also i think you can stream games from another comp. i'm interested in their prototype vrhmd they are going to show that's (expected) to be techviable in a few years time (some time after oculus).

maybe by then steamos will have estabilished itself and ati will come up with steam-certified drivers. as much as i am looking forward to oculus.. i might skip the first generation
I read the the in-home streaming that they are working on will let you play the non-linux based games by having your computer do all the work. I suppose that this doesn't help you if you want to play your games at someone else's house who doesn't have a computer though.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I read the the in-home streaming that they are working on will let you play the non-linux based games by having your computer do all the work.
this just does not compute at all for me. I have a really good computer, it already does what you are saying. I don't get people's love for Valve outside of Steam sales.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
this just does not compute at all for me. I have a really good computer, it already does what you are saying. I don't get people's love for Valve outside of Steam sales.
It's a love for a 50+ inch "monitor" and the couch, not Valve, in this instance.

regret_sl

shitlord
They don't need to do anything like that, they can just take a lower cut of the sale price if the game supports steamOS compared to those who don't.
While I'm not sure how many sales are direct through Steam for your average AAA game, if they agreed to take 10% off their normal percentage (which is reported to be 30%) then we are talking $600k per million sales. They could be even more aggressive on this front so that it makes absolutely no financial sense for a publisher to not insist on a SteamOS port, so I find jukka's "no chance in hell" argument to be very unconvincing. It all depends on what Valve wants to do here because they are well positioned to get titles ported over to their OS.

spronk

FPS noob
cant decide if this is cool or weird. or why its showing win8 instead of steamOS
frown.png

9Sg74p3.jpg

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
cant decide if this is cool or weird. or why its showing win8 instead of steamOS
frown.png
Win8 because they want people to actually buy it. I like the drive bays, probably charge $300 just for the case though making it a $1k+ PC.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's cool and would be good for anyone who absolutely must have a standalone TV mounted on their wall.

But really, having some kind of entertainment system adjacent to your TV would make life so much easier.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Agreed.

I frequently have the desire to ditch Windows and hop on board Linux. There are many games that I play that support Linux, but many don't. I recently re-installed Skyrim and spent the better part of two evenings modding the sucker up. Unless Bethesda provides Linux/SteamOS support it would make a switch very, very painful. :S

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Emails going out around 2pm PST today, hardware shipping the 13th, for beta participants. Program restricted to US only.

OS will be made available for download when the hardware ships, "But unless you're an intrepid Linux hacker already, we're going to recommend that you wait until later in 2014 to try it out."

Steam Community :: Group :: Steam Universe

Steaming beta test information coming soon.