Steel Hearts

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
So a guy I know in our local game group just released the initial version of a custom system and setting he created called, Steel Hearts.

It's basically a table top mecha anime with some interesting rules that make combat feel pretty frenetic. I have play tested the game a bit over the past few years and had a lot of fun with it, especially with the modular mec design and charcter build options.

Here is a link to the release page:

There have been some tweaks to the combat system since the last time I played it but it's functionally the same game.

Combat can be brutal if you don't leverage all of the resources avaliable to you, and understanding optimal play comes in stages as each concept eventually sinks in. It's deceptively simple in some regards and initially complex in others.

I will say there are a lot of viable builds and several gimmicky ones that actually do quite well. Experimenting with what works was half the fun.

Given the number of options and the way combat allows for lots of out of turn actions/movement, you can fulfill multiple traditipnal party roles simultaneously if you are smart about resource management and positioning.

There is a synergy system that allows players to generate a resource called synergy for their allies but not for themselves outside of certain spacial abilities.

Synergy can be spent in a number of ways including movement, additional damage, additional attacks, mitigation ect. This makes the combat very dynamic.

There are also no "to hit" rolls, so every incoming attack is going to land unless you do something to actively avoid it. I liked this a lot since it means you and the enemy are doing something every single turn.

The combat does require a grid but only requires D6s. (You will eventually need a lot of them)

Another nice touch is that pretty much everything a player needs to know to play the game is on their character sheet.

It's a system that has evolved a lot but has consistently prioritized ease of play while trying to maintain a relatively high degree of technical crunchiness, while also not going into simulation territory.

The setting is also a lot of fun if you are a fan of 90s era big robot anime. There is a lot of hidden lore, but none of it is required to utilize the system.

If anyone checks it out I hope you have fun with it, and if you have any questions feel free to pick my brain.

Full disclosure: I receive no monetary compensation from any sales this project generates.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user