Stephen King's "The Long Walk"

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Books get worse than that. They can get so much worse.
Yeah, that may have been a bit of hyperbole.

I've read thousands of books, and only two did I not finish and instead threw in the garbage. One was a romance novel pretending to be a fantasy novel, either mis-shelved by my local bookstore or mis-published by a cruel company.

Tommyknockers was not the other one. But it was definitely my least favorite King book by a long shot.

The later Gunslinger book are shit as well, perhaps more disappointing because of how great it started. Needful Things was a slog but at least had a few interesting parts. The Shining turned me on to post-apocalyptic fiction that I still love to this day. Cujo made me afraid of my closet.

Nothing compares to early King, and I think he really shines in his short stories.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You're crazy.

I've read Tommyknockers twice now and it's not a bad time but it's an odd story. It's like King wrote it in between fighting a summer cold with cocaine and whiskey.
i think the coolest part was the concept of it. a sort of radiation that made everyone extremely clever, while also turning you into one of those doglizard things. as more of the ship became unearthed the radiation spread further and was more intense. fuck if i know why i enjoyed that book so much. i was 15 and it was a great read. i read it many times after that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, that may have been a bit of hyperbole.

I've read thousands of books, and only two did I not finish and instead threw in the garbage. One was a romance novel pretending to be a fantasy novel, either mis-shelved by my local bookstore or mis-published by a cruel company.

Tommyknockers was not the other one. But it was definitely my least favorite King book by a long shot.

The later Gunslinger book are shit as well, perhaps more disappointing because of how great it started. Needful Things was a slog but at least had a few interesting parts. The Shining turned me on to post-apocalyptic fiction that I still love to this day. Cujo made me afraid of my closet.

Nothing compares to early King, and I think he really shines in his short stories.
Rose Madder and Gerald's Game are unreadable stories. if you manage those, i salute you.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Be honest... Name one Stephen King adaptation that did the novel justice. I can't think of any. "IT" is probably as close as you're going to get and even then it's a long shot.
Doctor Sleep was pretty good. The Night Flier is great, but The Mist is the best adaptation ever of his works, but that's because of Frank Darabont.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Rose Madder and Gerald's Game are unreadable stories. if you manage those, i salute you.

I don't hate Gerald's Game until the book is over but somehow continues on for fifty more pages. This was actually kept in the Netflix adaptation. The story is over but hey let's keep this going!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The end of the Night Flier is one of my favorite parts of any movie ever.
I just rewatched it the other day during Halloween season and it being essentially a made for TV movie it is utterly fantastic. I think that has a lot to do with Miguel Ferreira. I remember the first time I saw it was on HBO back when I was in high school. It still holds up to this day.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Interestingly, I just looked at a King novel timeline and Needful Things was the last one I read aside from the finished Dark Tower stuff, which just confirmed my decision.

So it looks like I dodged a bullet because Gerald's Game was the next book!

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Interestingly, I just looked at a King novel timeline and Needful Things was the last one I read aside from the finished Dark Tower stuff, which just confirmed my decision.

Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne are companion stories that I think were originally going to be the same book which is weird because other than part of them taking place on the same day and a sub-theme of sexual abuse aren't like each other even a little.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

his 90s stuff wasnt that great. Dolores Claiborne won me over, the movie was really good too. i dont know why he had to link Gerald's game and Dolores Claiborne with the eclipse, but whatever. he did a dumb fucking book and released a similar book under his bachman name.Desperation and Regulators. why did he do that? who fucking knows.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
his 90s stuff wasnt that great. Dolores Claiborne won me over, the movie was really good too. i dont know why he had to link Gerald's game and Dolores Claiborne with the eclipse, but whatever. he did a dumb fucking book and released a similar book under his bachman name.Desperation and Regulators. why did he do that? who fucking knows.
If remember correctly Tom skerritt was in the adaptation of desperation. I think Ron Pearlman was in it too, and maybe Kathy Bates. It was pretty goddamn forgettable. The full version of the '90s the stand TV movie as a free on YouTube right now. I watched it a handful of evenings ago and despite its age it's got its own little bit of charm to it, and it's pretty goddamn accurate to the book. I just remember watching a lot of those Stephen King special miniseries on network television while growing up. They were always big events and all in all they were good.

I need to rewatch or if I can find it, The shining that was made I think in the early 00s that is way more faithful to the original novel, and has the guy from wings playing Jack Torrance. I remember watching it on Syfy and for it's low budget it was surprisingly good.

Sorry, talk to text

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If remember correctly Tom skerritt was in the adaptation of desperation. I think Ron Pearlman was in it too, and maybe Kathy Bates. It was pretty goddamn forgettable. The full version of the '90s the stand TV movie as a free on YouTube right now. I watched it a handful of evenings ago and despite its age it's got its own little bit of charm to it, and it's pretty goddamn accurate to the book. I just remember watching a lot of those Stephen King special miniseries on network television while growing up. They were always big events and all in all they were good.

I need to rewatch or if I can find it, The shining that was made I think in the early 00s that is way more faithful to the original novel, and has the guy from wings playing Jack Torrance. I remember watching it on Syfy and for it's low budget it was surprisingly good.

Sorry, talk to text
if you can find the Langoliers movie, check it out. Bronson Pinchot made that horrible piece of shit into awesomeness.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok, some of those like Misery (actually forgot about that one) were good. Though, I remember hearing somewhere that King hated some of those. The Stand, Trucks, Pet Semetary
I mean, King is a gigantic faggot, so of course he'd hate someone doing his own stories better.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
if you can find the Langoliers movie, check it out. Bronson Pinchot made that horrible piece of shit into awesomeness.
Dude I watched that when it came out as well but that's definitely one that doesn't hold up. The CGI on The langoliers in the end is just pretty rough. He does give a pretty weird and hilarious performance.

Still I don't mind watching those older made for TV mini series adaptations of Kings. They had their own charm and I just remember watching them when I was younger, I'm the fact of the matter is they're better than most shit that comes out nowadays.

I just remember it was always like a special event when one of his books got adapted to a two or three part miniseries I need to see advertisements for it saying Stephen King's blah blah blah next weekend. It was always a big deal. Watch them with my folks, and then you talk to kids about it at school the next day.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Confession time.

I like Rose Red. The made for TV movie that's way too fucking long and has crypt keeper puppets.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Langoliers CGI was bad even when it came out, but so bad I couldn't help but find it charming. All the building tension culminating in *that* was just funny shit.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The Langoliers CGI was bad even when it came out, but so bad I couldn't help but find it charming. All the building tension culminating in *that* was just funny shit.
the-langoliers-langoliers.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Confession time.

I like Rose Red. The made for TV movie that's way too fucking long and has crypt keeper puppets.
That's the haunted house movie one isn't it? I vaguely remember watching it and it was pretty rough. I think the gay guy from American psycho was in it if I'm not mistaken. Think his character had mommy issues, kind of a common Stephen King trope.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That's the haunted house movie one isn't it? I vaguely remember watching it and it was pretty rough. I think the gay guy from American psycho was in it if I'm not mistaken. Think his character had mommy issues, kind of a common Stephen King trope.

Yes, all those things. It's exactly a schlocky sequel to The Shining (same general rules, bigger, dumber) while also ripping off the Hell House/Haunting of Hill House premise of stuffing a bunch of psychics in a haunted house to make shit happen. It's got some good shit in it but it's really fucking long.

• 1Like