Stormgate (RTS)

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Studio made up of partially ex Blizz devs. I decided to kickstart this one because the RTS genre is one of my favorites and has been dead for quite a while. It's a sci-fi fantasy setting and honestly kind of reminded me of a warmahordes vibe.

It's not worth playing yet imo, but the net code and core gameplay are pretty tight so far. It's somewhere between SC1 and 2 for graphical fidelity which is fine. Still going through a lot of development it seems. Big emphasis on sc2 coop style game and custom maps rather than afterthought.

Preview playable during Steam Next soon I think.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Was seeing the ads, but I'm certainly a wait and see these days rather than jump in type these days.

Week except helldivers since I need to scratch a shooter itch since I quit tarkov.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
This company employing the chick that me tooed Furor makes me question if it is actually the talented people from Blizzard working here.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Thought this game already had a thread for some reason. My question is still the same since I heard about this over a year or two ago - how the fuck are they going to make this a F2P RTS? How do you monetize that? Everything in an RTS that Im even thinking could be monetized would throw the game out of balance / be pay to win. Like essentially giving all your units a fucking ghillie suit or something. Or, the exact opposite end which is like giving the heroes a skin, but the heroes arent even integral for most battles last I checked. So.. not really worth buying a skin over imo.

This company employing the chick that me tooed Furor makes me question if it is actually the talented people from Blizzard working here.
I didnt.. know that however. Oof.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't remember specifics from her story other than just the story seeming bizarre in general, but honestly I'd say it's more likely than not Alex did cross several lines with her. Should all of the couple dozen women he's accused of sexually harassing be barred from further jobs in the industry?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Can this succeed when it's a copy of Starcraft that's a copy of Starship Troopers/40k? A satire of a satire of a satire?

Torchlight was also ex Blizzard devs who were stopped from making a Diablo game and left to make it themselves. The IP is too weird and is holding them back. Despite the Torchlight mobile game being otherwise excelent, the mandatory story is just too off putting.

So I know that gameplay is the most important, but this game is screaming childlike simplicity in the art design, the same thing that killed Blizzard.

velk

Trakanon Raider
So I know that gameplay is the most important, but this game is screaming childlike simplicity in the art design, the same thing that killed Blizzard.

The art design killed Blizzard ? That's... certainly a novel opinion.

What's your line of thinking there ? It's been pretty consistent through their best and worst periods, as far as I know.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

What's your line of thinking there ? It's been pretty consistent through their best and worst periods, as far as I know.
Yea I'm not sure what he means by the claim about Blizzard, but I do agree with the broader point. There's a lot that seems wonky and not directed art. You need a very tight art direction and core visionary to set a world/story. Whereas this game is maybe more towards the direction of like give light descriptions to 10 Independent artists and committee it out with unique styles coming back for each piece.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Dragonflght Dracthyr and Arclight Rumble for the art. More so the story in Starcraft 2 and later WoW expansions, and gameplay in Diablo.

So yeah I wasn't just thinking of art, but there are examples.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I don't remember specifics from her story other than just the story seeming bizarre in general, but honestly I'd say it's more likely than not Alex did cross several lines with her. Should all of the couple dozen women he's accused of sexually harassing be barred from further jobs in the industry?

She is an activist. Just look at her twitter feed. The kinda company that hires people like this does not instill a lot of confidence. She is pictured in the studio picture on the kickstarter, but it looks like she no longer works there.

Daidraco

I rarely agree with Chris, and even now, I think hes "mostly" wrong. But he does have a point with the art direction in WoW. Its like this "cute-sy" "playful" "innocent" art theme that is reminiscent of a children's game. Im not implying that the game was some dark, gritty masterpiece of a game back in Cataclysm - but the difference in landscape designs for over world, dungeon and raids from those early expansions versus the last three expansions has been vastly different. But what can we expect when the lead art devs have literally RETIRED from their respective careers - not fired.

But no, the decline in WoW has far more to do with other shit than the art department. Someone up above had to give the go ahead with "yea, that looks good" and THEY and those like them are the ones that sent WoW down the direction it has gone. Microsoft wont improve that game, and will likely let it fade into an EverQuest retail level of mediocrity. Meanwhile, we'll keep getting shitty Warcraft phone games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yes.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I rarely agree with Chris, and even now, I think hes "mostly" wrong. But he does have a point with the art direction in WoW. Its like this "cute-sy" "playful" "innocent" art theme that is reminiscent of a children's game. Im not implying that the game was some dark, gritty masterpiece of a game back in Cataclysm - but the difference in landscape designs for over world, dungeon and raids from those early expansions versus the last three expansions has been vastly different. But what can we expect when the lead art devs have literally RETIRED from their respective careers - not fired.

But no, the decline in WoW has far more to do with other shit than the art department. Someone up above had to give the go ahead with "yea, that looks good" and THEY and those like them are the ones that sent WoW down the direction it has gone. Microsoft wont improve that game, and will likely let it fade into an EverQuest retail level of mediocrity. Meanwhile, we'll keep getting shitty Warcraft phone games.
Thank you, not sure what I'm mostly wrong about though.

The original WoW was made by guys who liked heavy metal and had their own band, the art style was basic and stylised so your brain filled in the gaps, and the music to the quest text pointed you in the right direction.

Now that the art is more filled in and made by cat moms who like rainbow flags, with literal gay quests, it's all leading you another, more faggy, way. This is what I see with Stormgate, there's no grit, it's all polish.

This is the Starcraft 2 team at best, not the Starcraft 1 team though I'm sure there's some old Starcraft 1 execs on board who took credit.

There's a better IP to see Space Marines fight Demons, it's too played out. They should have gone for another aspect of sci-fi.