Stranger Things

spronk

FPS noob
season 4 is really excellent, plus season 5 (final season) isn't out until 2024 so you can take your time going through 1-3.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Finished my re watch of season 1 in two nights. I think it's up there with the best seasons of tv ever. The way it gradually builds up to Eleven using her powers is paced perfectly, the scene of her catching Mike is perfect and still brings a tear to my eye.

• 1Like

Caliane

got to whats her faces house, where they need her to do hacking.
My opinion on s4 is getting even lower.

• 1Worf

Caliane

A light brite is a single bulb. It's not an lcd. They shouldn't be able to "speak" through it, with the rules they have established.

• 1Worf

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
A light brite is a single bulb. It's not an lcd. They shouldn't be able to "speak" through it, with the rules they have established.
I said the same thing when watching it. Lite Brite is creative but there wouldn't have been any screens with a bunch of individual LED's (and would LED's even light up? What is making the incandescent bulbs light up? And if it can make incandescent bulbs light up, why isn't it causing ALL KINDS of electrical havoc?)

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I said the same thing when watching it. Lite Brite is creative but there wouldn't have been any screens with a bunch of individual LED's (and would LED's even light up? What is making the incandescent bulbs light up? And if it can make incandescent bulbs light up, why isn't it causing ALL KINDS of electrical havoc?)

Same reason the one kid was killed by Vecna in the middle of a road, which presumably opened a gate like the other locations of deaths as Vecna himself says that's the purpose of the deaths.... but it was never mentioned or shown again until they needed it to rip open. Convenience.

Would have been a hilarious scene with the stoner van accidentally driving into it and saving the day. Then Dustin angrily and hilariously points out they were climbing a rope like it was gym class when there was literally a gate in the middle of the road right outside the trailer park the could have walked through.

These shows don't get better under scrutiny, and in fact often get objectively worse. Reminds me of the Walking Dead episode where they all almost died because zombies were wearing riot gear at the prison, but nobody thought to keep and wear that gear themselves (until once later as extra ironic plot armor).

As entertaining and great many of these modern shows seem in the moment, few will stand the test of time as classics or literature. Which is fine, and how things work, where people in their own time overestimate the importance and impact of the things they consume (or that consume them).

That reminds me of one of the more interesting exchanges in the book Ishmael where the student is asked to recount his modern, current culture's mythology. He is incredulous, saying it's an absurd question, we don't have mythology because mythology is for long gone civilizations that believed in fanciful things in place of truth, to explain things they couldn't possibly understand. Which is the exact thing a normie Roman would have said in their own time. And the point.

But, yeah, still a fun show aside from some really inexplicable shit and objectively way too many characters and side stories.

Caliane

90% of this season I was starting to think Jane/11 was retarded. like, actually something wrong with her. Well beyond the naivety of earlier seasons where she was just lacking any social awareness, or experience. Both in the flashbacks with One, and other kids, and with the bullies, etc in current time.
Then suddenly, 100% awareness, and "papa lies, you are the monster".

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When the hero saves the day with shear will and no other explanation, it gets old. The entire series is based on 11 completing 4th down hell marry plays. They never talk about what made her or why her powers always grown when needed. Just dramatic music and MY FRIENDS.

They touch on giving the mothers drugs but never go deeper.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Same reason the one kid was killed by Vecna in the middle of a road, which presumably opened a gate like the other locations of deaths as Vecna himself says that's the purpose of the deaths.... but it was never mentioned or shown again until they needed it to rip open. Convenience.
They didn't know where it was.

D&D rock guy witnessed the Caravan and Lake gate murders, nobody saw the road gate murder and I would guess that it would be difficult to find even if they assumed it was at the now unmarked crime scene in a long road.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When the hero saves the day with shear will and no other explanation, it gets old. The entire series is based on 11 completing 4th down hell marry plays. They never talk about what made her or why her powers always grown when needed. Just dramatic music and MY FRIENDS.

They touch on giving the mothers drugs but never go deeper.
While it might be kind of interesting to answer the in depth question as to how 11 got her powers, it would not fit the teenager horror story vibe. I just went ahead and pretended that science had accidentally stumbled unto a formula that awoke something within her brain, long lost to the human race thousands of years ago. They could use a "radiation/accident that mutated a gene thus creating the X-gene but it would not really matter. 11 will always be the factor that is the reason they win. It was 11 that created the situation and thus it will be 11 that ultimately ends it. The friends allow her to have the chance to end it. They are often the ones who plow the path or act as the decoy. The only real question is whether or not it kills 11 to do it.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
tva9ru3y59e91.jpg

• 1Mother of God

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’ve enjoyed the season but there is a ton of wasted time. Only the stuff in Hawkins and with 11 have been good. Everything else could just not exist and the season would be better for it.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users