Stranger Things

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Pool scene at the BF's house, think ep2/3 had me thinking of this!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
just watched with the little lady fuck yeah really enjoyed this one stayed up till 5am to finish well worth it.

• 2Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couldn't sleep last night. Figured I would pop an episode or two on to start the series and go to bed. It is now 9am and I binged watched the entire thing in a single sitting!! So much 80s nostalgia! Great kid actors. Great feel altogether with the series. The overall vibe felt like Twilight Zone meets the Goonies.

Highly recommend for anyone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's not hype it's all around good. Good leads, story, and kids were fucking amazing.

If anything the "bad men" are your typical bland baddies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Echo all of the above, just finished the series and the child actors are actually really good. Usually when kids are involved the scenes end up being shitty (Phantom Menace?) but these kids were badass.

Also I thought the story did a great job of not being too specific with how shit works, so it can be kinda creepy and they can wrap it up or branch it out however they like without being tied to details. Mostly things were just like "magic yo" and it was great.

• 2Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Man I ran so many of those D&D sessions in basements just like MIke's (even with one of the other posters here!). Great show if only for the nostalgia.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oh good lord, i didn't see this olympics gif yet
xju2CGJNGmoU0.gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Barf

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just started it last night, nice to have a show I can watch with my daughter and still be intriguing

We watched this with the kids, and they wanted to see the next episode more than I did. This was an awesome show, start to finish.

They are already talking s2, but I feel as if lightning is not going to strike twice.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Is season 2 the same people or a completely new story? I enjoyed the show, but a good bit of that enjoyment is the nostalgia

Juvarisx

Florida
Is season 2 the same people or a completely new story? I enjoyed the show, but a good bit of that enjoyment is the nostalgia

It was a possibility at one time. They have since said s2 will be a continuation 1 year later in show time dealing with what happened to Eleven, plus there is still a portal to the Upside Down sitting there

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

A good bit of enjoyment was the mystery of what the hell was going on. We didn't even understand who the bad guys were clearly until ep6. That mystery is gone now.

Also, the fact the El can just look at the monster and kill it kind of ruins the build up. Five minutes into s2, after she's gone all Jean Grey on its ass, then what?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I didn't understand why they show us she created the gateway but the demon never uses it, he is able to enter our domain seemingly at will whenever it wants. So why wasn't he doing that prior to the gate opening?

Xevy

Log Wizard

The gate let him into our dimension. He may never knew it existed. Then from there he can just 'gate' back home as he likes. But the fact he stayed within a small area (they show it on the map) probably means that the gate allows him some power to create the holes he uses to go between dimensions.

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
I just finished this over the weekend and thought it was great. I assume Season 2 will be focused on Eleven and I assume the 10 others that came before her.

The whole time I was watching it for some reason it reminded me of a mix of Stand By Me and Half-Life.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
"We don’t want to reveal much, other than to say it is an interdimensional being that has more in common with the shark from Jaws than Pennywise from It. When the monster enters our dimension, it’s like a shark breaching the water. Very much like a shark, it drags its prey back into its home, where it feeds. Each time it enters our world, it leaves a small tear, or wound. That’s what Joyce found in her wall in episode 4, and Nancy found in the tree in episode 5. These tears are almost like portholes into the Upside Down. But they don’t last very long. Like wounds, they eventually heal and seal up."

My interpretation from that is Eleven didn't really open the portals but was blaming herself. She made contact with the creature which was then aware of the real world and could come in to hunt. It hadn't come before because, while it seems like it was able to, it had no knowledge of the juicy feeding ground right next to itself. I definitely got the Lost vibes but this show doesn't get as outlandish. The biggest mystery in Lost was how they were going to tie everything up together in the end but that never happened. With Stranger Things, from how much was wrapped up nicely in season 1 and from interviews with the showrunners, it seems like they have a good handle on the mythology of their world.

The similarities with the anime Elfen Lied were so strong that by the end of my binge I was sure they had major influence from it. They've said it was their main influence but, to me, it borders on remake territory except toned down in violence, nudity, and general craziness. There wasn't an entire shadow realm in Elfen Lied but the psychic arms were extradimensional of some kind. Most of the characters have analogues and their motivations and interactions are mostly the same. As a fan of Elfen Lied, this was a really cool show to watch.