Streaming video from PC to TV

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
yeah ill just stick with original naming then

i dont need to duplicate 2+ terabytes of data just for the sake of naming

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You shouldn't have rename anything. I never rename any of my movies, and it always knows what they are. Maybe TV shows are more of a problem, but I use Usenets, and my setup auto renames and moves the show to the right folder, so this may be what he's talking about.

I don't actually use Plex until just last night. I've streamed all my stuff through a Boxee Box, that has a file browser in it, so I'm curious, how does Plex handle things it doesn't recognize?

On my Plex server, I do notice sometimes when I bring it up, that things are mis-labeled, but it's easy to fix, but other things just don't even show up that I can see. I have a few baby shows (Gigglebellies) for my son, but I've never seen this on there. Would I have to switch back to a raw file browser like I use on Boxee Box to play these files?

spronk

FPS noob
I don't do 720p, its 1080p or nothing for me. most of my movie/TV watching is on my gaming PC hooked up to a 60" sony in my office, but for the times we watch movies in the living room what I do is have a 1TB (unpowered) usb3 drive hooked up to a boxee. I move the drive to my pc, copy the mkv file(s) i want, attach it back to the boxee, and away we go. Plays 1080p or 1080-3D movies no problem. For all the 720p and SD content my family likes (peasants!) they can access my gaming PC's windows shares no problem, and I have ~8TB of kids stuff and older shows/movies on there.

newer TVs play stuff off thumb drives (and maybe even 1-2TB unpowered usb3 drives) no problem, my samsung in the guest room plays the same 1080p MKV files easy off thumb drives, have copied avi's, mpegs, MKVs, etc to a 32GB drive when people are staying over. Samsungs can also "see" dnla/plex servers just fine, but again over wifi 1080p is rarely going to work out.

You could invest in something like the power networking devices that let you do wired networks in the house over power lines, or just cat-5/cat-10 your entire house so its a wired ethernet like an office. Realistically we're probably still years away from Wifi being fast enough to stream 1080p, let alone 4k.

Column_sl

shitlord
I can stream 1080p over wifi, and the limited selection of 4k demos they have on Netflix over a wired connection.

Granted I'm getting 100 down which is still extremely slow compared to the rest of the world,and using a consumer ASUS (RT-AC68U).
The problem isn't the technology. We already have it available to us, it's the archaic bandwidth restrictions,Extremly high consumer cost, and caps local companies sell to us in a tier system.

Really they just need new laws that force the United States cable companies to comply with new standards, and and even 4k is possible on a good router especially with the new codec.

lindz

#DDs
Oooh thanks guys for the Plex info. I bought a Chromecast for Xmas because I hate plugging my laptop into my TV to watch LCS on youtube. This is awesome.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Didn't check the boards at all today so I'll try to catch up a little.

First, the restriction on 1080p via wifi isn't hard and fast, but some of you are talking about something completely different. Streaming 1080p from Netflix, for example, is not the same thing as streaming a 1080p bluray rip. And one 1080p rip isn't the same as another. I can download a 1080p version of a movie that is 5GB, or one that is 20GB. It all depends on the bitrate and encoding (and other shit, but not important). Netflix is obviously encoded to maximize streaming capability, so it takes much less bandwidth. If you try to stream that 20GB rip over your wifi though, you're probably fucked unless it gets transcoded to a lower quality. And Araysar was specifically asking about streaming his local content, which could be in any format or bitrate. That's why I said "720p only" when referring to him using wifi. He *can* stream some 1080p local content, but it isn't going to be reliable unless he has some next gen wifi router that I'm guessing none of us have. And I'm fairly sure he knows how to get Netflix no problem, so I ignored that end of things.

Anyway, to clarify the whole PLEX thing, you need to download Plex Media Server and install it on your computer. You'll also need to create an account on their website I believe, but it is free and easy. Don't worry about paying for the upgraded membership, you don't need it. Once you've installed it, like others have said you basically point it to your media files and it will scrape all the content. It is pretty damn good without renaming stuff, so I wouldn't worry about it much unless you notice a big problem. Scraping can take awhile at first.

(Note: I've never actually set up my PLEX to work with Chromecast, so hopefully if I fuck up some directions someone will point it out before I screw anyone up too badly.)

Once you've done that, you'll need to get the PLEX app on your phone or tablet. It costs $5. Once you enter your account information, you can now watch anything you've pointed your Plex Media Server to on your mobile device. Combine that with the Chromecast (I haven't done it, so unsure of the exact procedure, but I'm sure someone else can fill in the blanks), and now you're watching your movies on your TV, and controlling it with your mobile device.

You need to keep Plex Media Server running in order to watch, obviously, but the added advantage is that now ANYWHERE you are with a decent wifi/4G connection, you can actually watch all of your movies on your phone/tablet if your PMS is running at home. And if a friend has a Chromecast, you could watch it on their TV as well.

Setting up PLEX isn't difficult, but can be a little confusing, which is why I said feel free to ask. You have to set stuff like what bitrate it will output, and if you do that too high it won't stream right, or too low and it will look bad, etc. That's typically where you're going to set it to 720p, so that no matter what quality your downloads are, it will output it at a rate your wifi can handle.

As an aside, I used to do exactly like you did, just watch right off of my torrent download directory. Nothing wrong with doing it that way at all. However, if you or anyone else ever feels the need to "organize" your files, try a program called tinyMediaManager. It is totally free, no trial version then pay bullshit. It works awesomely, and if you configure it right you can literally just hit a button and it will rename all the files you tell it to according to your settings. It will also auto-download whatever you want it to, like box art or wallpaper art, and even create an .nfo file specifically designed to work with Plex or XBMC, so that when it scrapes it sees that .nfo file and doesn't waste a lot of time trying to figure out if Castle is the one from 20 years ago or Castle (2009), for example. Chaos would have benefited from this program, which is why it occurred to me to mention it now. It has saved me tons and tons of time, but like all programs of this nature, it takes some time to get used to, and don't practice on your actual library until you're sure you know what you're doing. I like the program so much that I donated anyway, mostly because the other one I was using demanded that I pay or lose a lot of functionality after the trial period. Funny how that works. I paid the free program as much as the pay program wanted, simply because they gave me the choice.

I hope this helps Araysar (and anyone else). I know that when I was first getting into this way of thinking, half these terms meant nothing to me, so all the suggestions people gave might have been exactly what I needed, but I didn't know enough about it to even recognize that fact. Keep asking, I know I did, because it is definitely worth it and you'll love it once you've got it set up the way you want it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That would have been nice to know. Good thing I still have about 1k files to rename, thanks.

Also, from what I understand casting from plex to the chromecast is limited to 720p right now and you do actually need the paid plex account to use the new chromecast functionality.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You might be right about the paid account, and I seem to remember reading something about that now that you say it. I think eventually you won't need the paid account, but since it is in beta testing right now it would make sense that you need it now.

If you need any tips on tinyMediaManager, let me know. It is confusing at first (took me like 5 minutes to find the freaking Options tab because it isn't where you'd expect it), and there are so many options it can be overwhelming, but once you get it set up it almost becomes a little addictive to organize shit. Only thing is that it won't automatically rename stuff without any interaction from you, but I am not aware of anything besides sabnzb that does something like that anyway. Once it is set up it takes just a few seconds to add a new episode or movie.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Vvoid-Thanks for all that info.

I've installed Plex on my laptop, a Sony Vaio, made an account with Plex but under Settings___myPlex I get an error message saying "there is a problem connecting to your server". I'm thinking my router, a dlink DI-524 is too old school. What are your thoughts? I'm trying to stream some movies from my laptop to a Roku in my bedroom.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vvoid-Thanks for all that info.

I've installed Plex on my laptop, a Sony Vaio, made an account with Plex but under Settings___myPlex I get an error message saying "there is a problem connecting to your server". I'm thinking my router, a dlink DI-524 is too old school. What are your thoughts? I'm trying to stream some movies from my laptop to a Roku in my bedroom.
Just to clarify you have installed Plex media server on your laptop right?

A router is a router. If you are getting internet you should be just fine serving your media to a Roku.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Just to clarify you have installed Plex media server on your laptop right?

A router is a router. If you are getting internet you should be just fine serving your media to a Roku.
Yes that's correct and I've installed the Roku version on the Roku box. Reading the FAQ and troubleshooting stuff on the Plex site gives me information on whether my router supports such and such protocol (uPnP or NAT-PMP) and how to manually configure it if it doesn't, all of which is several levels above my pay grade.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
UPDATE

I upgraded the firmware on the router and now it seems to be working. Thanks all.

EDIT

Yup, that was it. Now streaming from laptop to Roku in bedroom. Yipee. Thanks again

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
heh I really wanted to get a NAS but I had no idea the prices were still so outrageous on them. Like 2k+ for the ones with the horsepower to actually transcode video. Yikes.

Plex actually has some decent channels I can see myself using, also. Revision 3, Twit, PBS, Colbert and Daily Show, shit is nice.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
heh I really wanted to get a NAS but I had no idea the prices were still so outrageous on them. Like 2k+ for the ones with the horsepower to actually transcode video. Yikes.

Plex actually has some decent channels I can see myself using, also. Revision 3, Twit, PBS, Colbert and Daily Show, shit is nice.
IMO, it is silly to dump the money into a transcoding NAS. Leave that to your media player (if necessary). It will be a significantly cheaper solution.

I use a Synology NAS (not the cheapest out there, granted) with 5x 2TB drives and I have one Boxee downstairs in the living room and one in the bedroom both pointed to the NAS directories for media. The Boxee can play anything you throw at it so with that, I dont have to worry about transcoding a thing. I have the house wired with CAT6 because, as Vvoid pointed out, relying on WiFi for quality 1080p / DTS-MA is useless.

*Unrelated* I just had my 5x 4TB drives arrive in the mail today to swap out in my NAS. This will be fun!

lurker

Vyemm Raider
So using Handbreak, a copied a DVD I own to my hard disc. I encoded only the 5.1 soundtrack.

When I play this movie using VLC I get the Dolby Digital Soundtrack (5.1) and using an HDMI cable from computer to receiver, my A/V receiver confirms this. However, if I use PLEX and cast it through a ROKU or use the HDMI cable, I only get the Dolby Prologic (stereo) sound. I've set all the switches in the advanced settings dialog in Plex to allow Ac3.

Is this a browser issue? I've tried with Firefox and Chrome.

TIA

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This is related to my post in the Home Improvement thread, in case anyone reads both threads.

I've seen a lot of people post that they can't stream 1080p over wifi, and I would agree with them. It seems going from my desktop(802.11n, 2t2r) to my router to my boxee(802.11n 1t1r) with 720p can also be occasionally problematic, usually while also seeding torrents on my desktop. Most of the time manifests as Boxee requiring to rebuffer shows in the middle. But lately, it's also making the wifi connection on my desktop crap out. I have to disable/enable the adapter to get it to work again. Surely, 720p + ~80 torrents(only a few are uploading) isn't stressing the bandwidth capability of 802.11n, but maybe it's too many connections? I want to make sure this is a wifi tech problem and not a wifi adapter problem before I go exploring more expensive options.

On that note. If it is wifi tech, my first thought was to lay some cable. Which is going to be ~$200. I've also considered getting a 802.11ac router and adapter. Obviously I can't upgrade Boxee's adapter. Has anyone had experience with streaming over 802.11ac? Upgrading would cost about the same but it would be a lot less work.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Torrents absolutely used to kill my bandwith/router, regardless of how much they were actively uploading or downloading. I almost guarantee that you shut down your torrent program your problem will disappear. That's why I ended up getting a seedbox, I didn't want to always have my home network tied up because of downloading/seeding.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Was this on wifi? How much per month does your seedbox cost?

I do agree, sometimes when downloading a torrent near the speed cap(which I've put at 50% of my pipe's cap), it will still cause the rest of the internet to go to shit. Steam can easily max out my actual pipe and it has no effect on other traffic. Wonder if there's way on my DIR 655 to QoS torrents to a lower level.