Summer 2023 Anime Thread

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure how I'll like this season of Tensei, tbh. I read the manga portion of this arc and was pretty annoyed with it, mostly because of what Rudy doesn't do (look for his Mother). It's like the author just didn't want write about that issue. Other than that, it was really good and Rudy does mature a bit.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Helck was a really nice manga to read along with when it was coming out. Surprised it got an anime, although with Biscuit Hammer having gotten one I assume someone out there is just greenlighting "shit /a/ likes"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really like the animation of Mushoku Tensei it has that look of old hand drawn animations.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Zom 100.

what a fucking banger
Yea, shit looked amazing and was quite the ride. Am I reading that right, is this really the first animation that's come from that studio? That did not look like first time animation quality at all. If they can do that already, they are going places.

• 3Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Helck was a really nice manga to read along with when it was coming out. Surprised it got an anime, although with Biscuit Hammer having gotten one I assume someone out there is just greenlighting "shit /a/ likes"
what the helk twist and how did it end again?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
what the helk twist and how did it end again?
The world spirit itself desires to continually evolve and push forward, which wipes out societies/species each time. The Human empire was able to use the World Spirit's power but resisted the urge for total destruction and renewal. So the humans are doing evil shit, but also holding back an extinction level event, so if Helck defeats the evil human kingdom, it will free the world spirit's minions to usher in "the new world" at the cost of those currently living. Twist is that Helck was one of the world spirit's "chosen" and has just been ignoring its demands. Ends up beating them both but the world spirit will always find another person to possess eventually, but the fight proved that if the Demons and Humans work together they can beat it. The story is mostly just in service to the character development and the demon girl ending up being a total bro.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Kenshin starting off nicely. I miss the original OP and VAs of course, but the animation is good and it looks like they are going to stay true to the manga.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Ok, file vending machine under 'so bad it's good'.

That was, without a doubt, the dumbest boss fight ever animated, I am still snickering at how terrible it was.

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

That was, without a doubt, the dumbest boss fight ever animated, I am still snickering at how terrible it was.
Apparently you did not watch Working For God In A Godless World last season.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Jujutsu Kaizen animation is different and inferior this season

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think there are a bunch of "decent" shows worth watching this season. I don't usually watch a ton of stuff per season but the two you mentioned, Undead Murder Farce, Liar Liar, Zom, and Ayaka are all new shows this season currently in my "seem interesting, will keep watching" bucket

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Yes it was gloriously, impressively retarded.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, I've now watched the first episodes of every new series. I actually like 20 shows this season (including season 2's or resumed seasons), but I'll cut that down after another week or two.

Monday:
Masamune-kun no Revenge S2 (Masamune's Revenge) - Ok, this was the story of a fat kid that fell for some girl, but she turned him down for being fat. So now that he's older and handsome, he's constantly imagining starting to date her, just so he can turn her down or something. I vaguely remember watching the first season, and it didn't bother me and the first new episode wasn't bad, so I'll stick with it for now.
Yumemiru Danshi wa Genjitsushugisha (Dreaming Boy is a Realist) - Stalker kid gets hit w/ Soccer Ball and decides to stop stalking the pretty girl. Everyone at school is shocked by his sudden change of heart. So he kind of stops following her around, and she reaches out to him instead with a "why are you different?" type of thing. He tells her that he realizes his stalking isn't working, and asks if any of her friends would be a good fit for him instead. She gets mad at that. It's a cute slice of life type story, but I don't know if I'll continue watching.
Okashi na Tensei (Sweet Reincarnation) - Isekai pastry chef. He dies when a candy sculpture falls on top of him, and is resurrected in a new world with magic powers. All he ever thinks about is making sweets. Stupid show, but somewhat entertaining. It slightly reminds me of Book Nerd in that sense.

Tuesday:
Suki na Ko ga Megane wo Wasureta (Girl I Like Forgot Glasses) - I really enjoyed the style of animation on this show at first. But then I realized how heavily CGI it was. It's CGI, but still. That said, it's a pure CGI show where fucking EVERYTHING moves. Like each strand of hair on a character's head in the wind. A few scenes later, the CGI sticks out in a bad way with how realistic some things look compared to everything else. Specifically the wooden floor the students are walking on. It's a romance show if the title didn't give that away. And after watching a little more, I'll probably drop next week, but I'll watch for now (Tuesday's are usually empty).
Helck - Guy is a fighter in an other world Colosseum type thing, trying to become the next Demon Lord. He's the hero, fighting demon creatures from other dimensions. Yet at the same time, he hates humans. He's like an anti-Thor, if that makes any sense. He's the favorite of the spectators, but the tournament organizers want him out. Silly show, but I like it.

Wednesday:
Jidou Hanbaiki ni Umarekawatta Ore wa Meikyuu wo Samayou (Reborn as a Vending Machine) - Surprisingly entertaining. I really like this one. It sounds stupid, and I agree that it is, but they made the show well. It just kinda makes sense.

Thursday:
LasTame (Most Heretical Boss Queen: Villainess to Savior) - Long english name for no reason, so I picked and chose words to use. Decent animation quality. It seems to be done well, and I keep expecting disaster to happen, but who knows. I like it for now, at least.
Jujutsu Kaisen - It's back. And I'm still very much interested. It starts off with a new character we haven't met yet and has a more creepy vibe than past seasons. The flashlight in the haunted house visually looked nice as well. I like the start and this series was always great. The close to the episode was nice also. What amounts to "We're going to play a game called... fuck around and find out."
Seija Musou (The Great Cleric) - Ok, this is another Isekai. It involves Mr. Gun and not Mr. Truck. Guy is brought back and a dragon flies overhead. Neat. First obsirvation... almost everyone has light colored hair. Blue, Blonde, Gray, and a light Auburn. Introduce Monika. And suddenly I'm thinking of Denzel in Training Day. Any time I hear that damn name. This show is off to a good start.
Rurouni Kenshin - It's Kenshin. The same character I remember from my early Anime days, and the show is good. I remember buying a shitty DVD box set of the entire show that was actually fan sub episodes ripped onto a bunch of disks. Oh well. The voice actor works for the character as well.

Friday:
Sugar Apple Fairy Tale - Continuation. I really liked the first 1/2 of this series. It's good at pulling you into how the characters feel.
Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru (Seven Spellblades) - Good opening. A very fantasy style show. Great animation quality and voice acting. I like it already. With one exception. Light brown haired girl is very liberal. Take that shit out of here. It's a magic society because that is better than what the lesser creatures were able to create.
Kanojo, Okarishimasu (Rent-a-Girlfriend)- Continuation. I still dig it. I know the show is considered trash by many, but I actually like the characters, so I'm going to keep going with it.
AI no Idenshi (Gene of AI) - Interesting concept. It's very "black mirror" ish. It's very emotional, in what the people are going through. Being able to make a save point of your brain at a set time, before bad things occur, but then if something bad occurs later on, you're able to "reset" back to the earlier save point. The problem is that all memories after that save point have vanished. You continue living just like you did a week or year previously, even though everyone else remembers what happened. Are you still the same person, or does "missing" the more recent memories make you different? I like the mind-fuck of it all.

Saturday:
Level 1 dakedo Unique Skill de Saikyou desu (OP at Level 1) - It's Isekai. Guess what? I like it. This guy sucks, but has an S-tier drop rate on everything, so he'll become vastly wealthy, even though he's only level 1. The bunny girl at the end of the episode loves giant carrots. Go figure.
Liar Liar - Ok, a show about an elite student that lies all the time. It started off bad, but it reminds me alot of Classroom of the Elite, where they're constantly battling one another. I'll give it a shot.
Horimiya - Piece - Slice of life show. This isn't the first season. It actually began back in May of 2021. I vaguely remember watching it originally, but only because the one guy is covered in tattooes, even though you can only see them when he takes his shirt off. I don't remember any of the show, except that it was a cute love story. I'll see if I can get back into it.
Jitsu wa Ore, Saikyou deshita (Am I actually the strongest)- Isekai! Nerd guy dies while laying in bed playing a phone game or something. Goddess says he'll be reincarnated with really strong powers. He's back as an infant with virtually no magic ability. Another prince character was born with a vastly superior strength, but that's because their power ranking machine only works on a 3-didget power. Where as this guy seems weak as hell, just because his power is in the 1k range, there aren't any extra numbers to show to other people. It's stupid Isekai, but I already like the idea. Ok, after watching a little longer. It has a strange scene where a female fox that looks like a human woman demands that he "fills her with his seed" so she can be pregnant and then make breast milk. That shit really bothered me, but the rest of the show was alright, so I'll give it another episode to see.

Sunday:
Zom 100 - Zombie ni Naru made ni Shitai 100 no Koto (Bucket List of the Dead) - Guy passes out while at the computer thinking about zombies, also realizing he has a thing to do the next day. The hot secretary is fucking her boss on the side. As much as I dislike most ghost type shows, this show doesn't bother me. It's a slightly humorous version of the walking dead, and that's alright. What's up with all the random colors splashed about? It looks like a game of Splatoon that my daughter plays.
Mushoku Tensei S2 - It's back. I'll be watching. The first episode isn't something that I remember from the books, but the overall show is so damn good, how could I look down on that?

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Happily wades through an endless swamp of absolute garbage, won't watch a show that a dozen other anime fans have told him is one of the best and funniest shows in the history of the entire anime industry.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A week between Mushoku episodes suck since they go by so fast. I don't remember the stuff from ep1 & 2 from the manga I read, but maybe it was a flashback in the manga and the studio is just fleshing it out. Still good though.

• 1Like