Survival games

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Hah that game would be sweet if it wasn't so damn clunky.
Also, like most survival games, it's completely worthless playing solo. It's only fun with friends, often on PvP servers.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Also, like most survival games, it's completely worthless playing solo. It's only fun with friends, often on PvP servers.
giphy.gif

I like building dick castles that can be seen for miles and leaving little passive aggressive signs all over the place. Then, when people send me a PS message about it, I pretend like we've already been having cyber sex for half an hour.

• 1Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
giphy.gif

I like building dick castles that can be seen for miles and leaving little passive aggressive signs all over the place. Then, when people send me a PS message about it, I pretend like we've already been having cyber sex for half an hour.
Exactly. Like I said, better with friends.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
The Flame in the Flood is another good one. Great original soundtrack and atmosphere. Not a ton of content or replayability but good for a weekend.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I have a tale from yesterday, not sure if this will make people want the game or not.

Really this post is about two games. The late shift guys on twitch are doing their yearly season of roleplay eco, and I was watching it with the volume cranked to try to hear the convos.

The other is Empyrion which I had running on my main monitor. Since I had the volume really loud I should have heard the giant scorpion spider thing sneak up on me while I was getting off my bike, but I didn't. When it attacked me with a sound like a screeching ghost, I jumped so hard my knees hit my table and knocked my keyboard and a full beer off into my lap.

I stood up and tried to get the keyboard back on the table and ended up tabbing out and in several times trying to get back in the game so I could fight, going in and out of the inventory etc. Finally I blasted the thing in the face with a shotgun and killed it but by then I had some kind of crazy alien parasite and poison.

I got on my bike and rode and rode trying to find herbal leaves so I could make cures but I just never ran across any and died, standing in a puddle of beer.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Cool pic of a supergiant system. I think I'm a few AU out.
20240110021510_1.jpg

I kinda tried to make this ship shark shape and gave it a gura's hoodie paint job:
20240110012646_1.jpg

Anyway, the real news, which I don't understand really is this:

Yes, the kings of jank making an expansion for one of the jankiest games ever. I really don't know what to expect (other than some good jank).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Empyrion is one of those games that has incredible potential but just never quite realizes it. Like you said, it's super janky. Fun, but jank.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I thought it would say on the video title, but that expansion is done by Funcom, which is really odd. Not sure how those 2 companies got together. I think Elyon is Russian maybe?

Caliane

Interesting.

yeah, I would recommend,(and have) Empyrion to anyone thats played No mans sky or starfield and was hoping for a bit more meat. but 100% comes along with the caveat of jank, and massively indie. its not super pretty, its got no polish really at all. its even multiplayer.
$20 price tag.

I don't think I quite realized Empyrion is considered 1.0 released. It does get constant updates as if its still in EA.

$10 dlc? I'll probably get to continue support.

Looks like the DLC is published by Funcom, not created by.

In addition, we’re delighted to announce that we’ve partnered with Funcom for marketing duties on our future projects. That goes for Dark Faction... and beyond.
Funcom’s previous publishing record includes Shiro Games’ Dune: Spice Wars and The Outsiders’ multi-award winning Metal: Hellsinger. They are also the developers of the open world survival game Conan Exiles.

With Funcom taking care of marketing, we’re free to focus entirely on development, and as you will see with Dark Faction, this has given us the opportunity to raise the bar for both the quality and quantity of our content.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It looks like it is a little less permissive than conan. If a server has the dlc on, everyone will need it to connect, and blueprints made with dlc stuff will need the dlc, but I think everyone is used to that. There's already the reforged eden fan scenario splitting blueprints in half.

Melee should be interesting. I've murdered a few things with chainsaws a time or two.

I'm expecting hilarious bugs.

This recent server I've been on I've had a fairly solid experience aside from one really odd bug. I was flying back to the planet I lived on from orbit and kind of far out so I just had it in cruise mode aimed at the planet and tabbed out. When I tabbed back in I was on the planet but something was very off, like I was desynched or something and couldn't move.

I disconnected and reconnected and I was standing on the ground underneath an enemy base that was sort of up on pylons. Luckily I was standing behind something. The second I peeked out I got shot by turrets. I looked at the map and my ship was on the complete opposite side of the planet.

Luckily I had my little backpack bike and managed to ride off without getting shot too bad.

My previous games the big bug was losing items from the connected toolbar. That was absolutely brutal. Imagine going out and mining for hours/days and building a crapton of ship parts, and when you get started building the game crashes and you lose it all. That seems to be fixed.

20240113104958_1.jpg

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Some of the hololive girls are playing now:

It looks like they kinda solved how to make minions gather. You sort of build little square mining /chopping / gathering areas outside your house and your little people just work away. No need to have them hunt around in the wild for resources.

People always wanted that for conan but couldn't figure out how to keep the thralls persistant (stuff vanishes if no player is within 100 meters or so).

I hate that, I think the whole world should be simulated even if it isn't drawn. Takes more server resources that way though. Empyrion was that way in the beginning, but they eventually switched to unloading everything when no player is around. This led to YEARS of bugs with solar power, growing plants etc. Some of those bugs are still not fixed.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
Ark does estimates when you return "uhh this much food was eaten" . Of course it's janky

Caliane

yeah, i want that colony sim element in survival base builders. Building a large lifeless empty base is just so lame. Thralls in Vrising will walk around your base, and defend it, when you aren't there, or they aren't on a mission. its not much, but better then nothing.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Watched Lirik play it a bit today, it looked fun enough I wishlisted it.

Assuming the store can be trusted, the factory/building/automation aspect looks cool. Like if a capitalist real world mixed with pokemons to exploit as slave labor...

Caliane

Watched Lirik play it a bit today, it looked fun enough I wishlisted it.

Assuming the store can be trusted, the factory/building/automation aspect looks cool. Like if a capitalist real world mixed with pokemons to exploit as slave labor...
its coming to gamepass just fyi.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Bike is playing now
He somehow made a femboy for his first character than started over when he saw the hips :emoji_laughing: