Tablets

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've never used an iPad but I do have an iPhone and I find iOS very clunky compared to the Android installed on my Nexus tablets

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My GN just got the 4.2 update. The Photo Sphere camera is so badass.

Edit: Annnnd I just realized I'm in the tablet thread
frown.png

Same shit, amirite?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I got an iPad with retina. What covers / keyboards do you guys recommend? I really dig the Surface keyboard in the cover - kinda what I'd have hoped the magnetically attached ipad cover would be. Anywho the magnetic thing is pissing me off, I almost drop the pad to the floor from time to time :S Fucking magnets, how do they work? Help?

Df~_sl

shitlord
How does the magnet make you drop it to the floor? Living in China for now I get the replica smart covers and backs and the "hinge" actually snaps onto the back cover and you can slide it up and out but unless you crack the plastic, your not pulling the cover off the hinge.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
China, cool - you must see the stuff before it hits Europe then
smile.png

Right, okay. I have a Smart Cover like this one, except leather and black
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...hane-dark-gray
The only thing keeping it sticking to my iPad is the magnets. They are not strong enough to hold if I lift the pad holding the cover alone - snap - drop. I haven't really had to to research other options, but a keyboard would also be nice, if possible. What do you recommend?

smile.png

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Thanks Grimm - will look into the Portenzo.

Logitech is making a new iPad cover which looks like what I'm looking for, exciting
smile.png

smile.png

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Been rocking a Nexus 10 for the past month, and it's amazing. At first I was a little dismayed that there was not micro-sd or other storage, but if you embrace the cloud, you really dont need space for anything but movies. 32GB is plenty of movies, books, and a couple playlists for offline listening.

Got the leather Moko case for it - simple, stylish, and does it's job well. Auto wake/sleep feature works great.

I'm having a hard time weeding through all the apps, though, to find the good ones. Been trying Evernote, and its decent - I feel like either it's lacking "something", or I'm just not using it correctly. I like that you can post notes and pics to a website and e-mail/PM/socialmedia the link - very cool feature.

Any recommendations on must-haves, especially for productivity tools?

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Been trying Evernote, and its decent - I feel like either it's lacking "something", or I'm just not using it correctly. I like that you can post notes and pics to a website and e-mail/PM/socialmedia the link - very cool feature.
I'd recommendGoogle Keepover Evernote. I still usePocketthough despite Keep having similar functionality.

Been wrestling with the decision to buy a Nexus 10 for a while now, think I may just stump up the readies this weekend. Any hints of a new Google tablet on the horizon?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I thought a new 7 was coming out soon? I would imagine a new 10 is 6 months away, as the existing one has only been out for 5 months.

spronk

FPS noob
the new nexus 7.7 is a month or so away - should be announced at the google con in 2 weeks. definitely wait for that. DO NOT buy chinese knockoffs, I bought one a year ago and they are real pieces of shit. Batteries are the cheapest shit around and drop down to 20-40 min charge time within six months, the build quality is absolute shit - mine requires me to literally shadow box the charger plug for 5 minutes before it will start charging, and touching the cord loses connection.

Definitely get a comic book reader (I use komik), book reader (kindle for me there are many) taptu or pulse for news aggregate reading. I really like Spider God and the rest of the series of text choose-your-own-adventure games. ES file explorer is a must have for moving shit between your PC and nexus. My Boy is a GBA emulator, haven't tried it yet, also reddit news is great if you read reddit a lot. 99% of my nexus is used for reading a book/reddit or streaming a TNG/Farscape/Hogans Heroes from my mediaPC before I go to sleep or when I am on the shitter.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If they'd opened it up before the Nexus 7 hit they'd have done much better.

I have a nook tablet and I love the thing, but it was a hand-me-down when my tech nerd dad bought a Nexus 7 a few months after getting this. When buying your own there's just no way to justify the nook over a Nexus. I mean, short of the "parents are tech tards so I need something idiot proof" type argument. And even then it's silly with nook/kindle apps readily available.

spronk

FPS noob
pretty much any tablet will do it with a combo of ES Explorer and MX Player Pro (or other video players) for android, no rooting or anything needed. Nexus, Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc. You just have to decide on screen size (7, 7.7, 10) and keep in mind full 1080p video won't really work over wifi.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As much as I love my Nexus 10 I do wish it had a bit more beef under the hood. There are times it stalls and moves slowly that my Nexus 7 doesn't seem to experience. I may upgrade to a more powerful 10 whenever it comes out.