Tarot (2024)

kroenen

Regimen Morum
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Tarot (2024)

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Spenser Cohen, Anna Halberg

Cast: Alana Boden, Adain Bradley, Jacob Batalon, Humberly Gonzalez, Wolfgang Novogratz, Avantika, Larsen Thompson, Olwen Fouéré, Harriet Slater

Release: 2024-05-09

Plot: When a group of friends recklessly violates the sacred rule of Tarot readings they unknowingly unleash an unspeakable evil trapped within the cursed cards. One by one, they come face to face with fate and end up in a race against death.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hell yeah, I'll totally watch this when it hits TV. The bar for horror movies in this household isn't terribly high.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I could swear I saw a B-movie with a very similar premise like 10 years ago, but I have absolutely no idea what it might be called.

Szlia

This is not good.

The initial idea, if well executed, could have lead to a pretty ok film, but here it fails. Let me explain: Having all the protagonists do a horoscope/Tarot reading at the start of the movie could be a fun thing to underline their archetypes and then play with them. Having the reading tied to the way the characters meet their demise could also be fun and give the opportunity for some storytelling virtuosity. BUT there are seven characters... that's way too many for this to work. There simply is not enough screen time to play with their archetypes and since remembering word for word seven readings is not going to happen, the film has to hit us over the head, by putting them in voice over, having the antagonist whisper them or having characters utter a bunch of "Oh golly gee! This is happening just like the reading said!". Weak.

Another big problem, that happen waaaaay too often in bad horror movies, is that the characters face an omniscient and omnipotent entity. You can only tell an interesting story if there are rules, underlying mechanisms that the characters have to uncover to be able to deal with their situation. Here, the characters have no chance at all, so you just witness them gesticulate until they get killed. That could work if there was some entertainment value in said killing, but the technical team just recites mindlessly their ABC of cheap horror movie film-making tropes.

No standout performance to save this either.

• 2Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
oops all towers tarot card.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database