Taxes 2016

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I am sitting on a $7k debt to federal this year. We have been deducting at Married + 0 for both of us and have two kids yet still can't seem to get down to $0 owed at the end of the year.

I need something creative to fix this because I am getting tired of it. We made $225k combined and get fucked in the ass for it.

What are the rules on deducting a portion of the home for business? I have a c-corp in my name that I work from home on.
The dirty secret of income tax is that actual earned income in the six figures is punished hard. Unless you're able to take substantial business deductions, you're getting fucked in the ass. The upper middle class and lower upper class (not a thing, I know; but basically anyone working for a living) get boned by the IRS.

The super rich don't usually have earned income like us working schlubs.

The poor not only don't pay taxes, but get money from the government.

The middle class can usually get by with no or minimal taxes paid.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just don't know how to fix that.

I am doing nothing creative though to ease my tax burden and I think we are at the income level where I need to be sheltering it better.
Also, to answer this question, I believe the IRS has a calculator where you can estimate how much additional withholding they should do. Which I'd imagine you'd want to do at your highest paying job, but it probably doesn't matter.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I thought was good when I was middle class.

I am making just enough to screw myself a bit without fun shelters.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Adopt a refugee, shackle him to your basement radiator, have him manufacture matchbooks, and take an additional dependent and home office deduction.

Vinen

God is dead

My wife and I are prepared to likely pay penalties this year. We thought we were not going to pull as much income in.
Gotta make sure to get estimated payments in next year :|

@a_skeleton_03: You are middle class. Don't kid yourself. Not saying this as a negative. Waiting for Trump to lower my taxes.

Caliane

I'm poor as hell. Had 10k in medical bills this year. so, good news, that allowed itemized deduction higher then standard. bad news. 10k in medical bills.

atm, looking at about $300 owed atm. Have to decide on paying the 300ish, or, invest in the IRA. $110 off the taxbill, for each $1k invested. money is very very tight.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I for some reason owe a fuck load this year as well, and my shitty ass accountant can't figure out why. He's trying to tell me I'm getting taxed for minerals (THAT HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE and earn no income except when developed or sold), unlike a house or other real property. I've also heard that they'll be doing a ton more audits this year on people in my income bracket so I'm tempted to fire this dude and find someone who knows more about Oil & Gas assets, etc. Guess that is the risk you run when you hire a guy that only charges $300....

Caliane

I'm poor as hell. Had 10k in medical bills this year. so, good news, that allowed itemized deduction higher then standard. bad news. 10k in medical bills.

atm, looking at about $300 owed atm. Have to decide on paying the 300ish, or, invest in the IRA. $110 off the taxbill, for each $1k invested. money is very very tight.
hrm.

got my 1095-a in. the heath insurance marketplace tax info. I kindof thought it might increase my payment. It did the opposite. got a few more bucks back. I guess I made a bit less then projected, so was due even more tax credits for health care.
Then, rechecking my IRA figures. math is coming out different.
2k investment is now going from 47$ owed, to $433 refund. 2k is very tight. but, not going to pass up $500 free money. another 1k is only 110$more. And I couldn't afford another 1k, even if I wanted to.

sole

Molten Core Raider
I for some reason owe a fuck load this year as well, and my shitty ass accountant can't figure out why. He's trying to tell me I'm getting taxed for minerals (THAT HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE and earn no income except when developed or sold), unlike a house or other real property. I've also heard that they'll be doing a ton more audits this year on people in my income bracket so I'm tempted to fire this dude and find someone who knows more about Oil & Gas assets, etc. Guess that is the risk you run when you hire a guy that only charges $300....

Is that some kind of state/property tax? Federally, you shouldn't owe a thing for the minerals if they're not producing. If you received a lease bonus for those minerals, or were earning a royalty from those minerals at any time during 2016 you would owe.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Makes me think of bird law. I have no idea what circumstances you're in, but I'm just picturing an accountant being like, "You got some rocks? Oh man, they're going to tax those for sure!"

sdkslOG.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saw a deduction for interest paid on margin accounts for investing, what a bunch of shit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We bought a house in 2015. I was excited about being able to take all the itemizations that come with owning a home (and I think realtors actually specifically know to point this out).

2015 we got back quite a bit of money (between buying points, interest, etc). I did some quick math after doing 2015's taxes and was about 50/50 on whether we'd be able to itemize again. I came to the conclusion that if we were able to itemize in 2016, it'd be the last time.

Well, it turns out that 2015 will likely be the only year we ever itemize. It's kind of shitty, but I guess at the same time I shouldn't complain that our interest rate is so low that it can't even catch up to the standard deduction.

Buying down points in TX in 2016 got be 2.9% rate on the VA loan here. Has been pretty nice. I had hoped I would be able to itemize... but yeah not unless I get married and get more creative.