Taxes

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure there are penalties, and if I were you I'd go to a CPA or bookkeeper post haste.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Okay, so I set aside 30% from the small business I ran for a few months at the beginning of the year. I just recently found out I'm supposed to pay my taxes quarterly, I tried to set them up online to pay and got a letter in the mail saying my tax id and other information did not match their records. I double checked all the information and it is correct, even with the form they sent me when I set up the business. Every time I try to call them to line this out it kicks me off hold and tells me to call back because too many people are in queue.

Is there a penalty for not paying your taxes during that quarter? Is there another way I can get this handled so I can pay these taxes before the year is up?

Just to be clear it is a DBA in the state of Texas.

We talking state or federal taxes? You many avoid penalty if this is the first year you are making estimated payments. I have been paying estimated taxes for many years on self employment income and have gotten away with not following payment dates numerous times. I don't know rules of TX but for Federal each you have to pay 100% or 110% of the prior years tax liability you will not be penalized even if you failed to make your estimated payments. So if you have other withholding and this is the first year you are really going to have additional income that wasn't subject to withholding then as long as your withholding this year matches 100% of your total tax last year then you won't be penalized.

That is why I mention the "first year" because now for 2017 if you end up making the additional tax payment for taxes due you must now pay that amount in 2017 or be penalized.

lastly, in my experience (this is not how it is written but rather in my experience how it plays out) As long as you don't end up owing and make the payment within the tax period you won't end up paying a penalty. You can go ahead and look at the work sheets and see that the penalty sections won't apply unless a payment is due otherwise it's going to simply calculate that owe no additional taxes.

I just made an estimated tax payment today and it's not even near a due date, i ignore the quarters all the time. The issue seems to be is that the IRS doesn't know when during the year you incurred the liability and they WANT you to pay it as it accumulates but they is likely to be no issue unless you keep coming up short.

The issue with the info on the site is likely related to if you set it up as an individual or business. Some self employed people when setting up their eftps account mistakenly register as a business even though their taxes flow to their individual return. (Individual 1040 ES)

tldr if your total withholding is for 2016 is 100-110% (depending on AGI) of last years total you are not going to be penalized. Go ahead and make the entire years payments now.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
We just pay Federal in Texas, hopefully I'm okay.

I let legalzoom handle it all to make sure I didn't fuck anything up, I'm sure it's something stupid. Hopefully I can get through to them next week. I just wish they would have gave me a packet that said something like "Things you need to know as a new buisness owner.", it would have been more helpful.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
We just pay Federal in Texas, hopefully I'm okay.

I let legalzoom handle it all to make sure I didn't fuck anything up, I'm sure it's something stupid. Hopefully I can get through to them next week. I just wish they would have gave me a packet that said something like "Things you need to know as a new buisness owner.", it would have been more helpful.

You can just pay by check irs site will have the address i believe based on where you live. Check just needs your soc sec #s and 1040-ES 2016 on it. You can fill out a simple 1040-ES form on their site and mail it with that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
i have no idea what rangoth is responding to. Fein, if he titles it to himself he has to pay taxes, then you'd have to pay taxes again upon transfer. Those would be sales tax and based either on the actual price, or a predetermined schedule of values because people lie and try to say the shit cost $1.

For federal taxes, he's allowed to gift you $10k a year without there being a tax consequence. If the car's worth more than that, i'd say ask a tax professional, but there are work-arounds available. You could buy it from him for $1 so it's not a gift (though that might be considered shady). My mom bought my sister a house, sold it to her as an owner finance, and she just forgives $10k of debt per year (technically, she gifts her $10k which is used to directly pay on the house). They have a contract and everything, so it's all official and legit.

so yeah, assuming car is more than $10k, treat it like he's your bank
It's actually $14k per year that's exempt from gift tax.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thread necro because I don't like making new ones.

What options do I have filing for free if I have a relatively simple tax situation? House, student loan debts, car payments, family, that sort of stuff. The method I usually use(cracked TurboTax) no longer seems viable. It seems Intuit has dropped filing state taxes for free(or heavily restricted it?), thus the pirates won't even put in the requisite effort. If paying for TurboTax to then pay for filing state just to square up with the government, then so be it, but I'm hoping there's some other option.

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

What options do I have filing for free if I have a relatively simple tax situation? House, student loan debts, car payments, family, that sort of stuff. The method I usually use(cracked TurboTax) no longer seems viable. It seems Intuit has dropped filing state taxes for free(or heavily restricted it?), thus the pirates won't even put in the requisite effort. If paying for TurboTax to then pay for filing state just to square up with the government, then so be it, but I'm hoping there's some other option.
I mean, you can always just fill out your 1040 yourself and e-file it for free, which is always free. If your tax situation is simple it might take you longer to click through the turbotax screens than just doing your return yourself.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I mean, you can always just fill out your 1040 yourself and e-file it for free, which is always free. If your tax situation is simple it might take you longer to click through the turbotax screens than just doing your return yourself.
Yep, I'll keep that an option. I guess I'm a bit hesitant about making a mistake or forgetting something important however.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, I'll keep that an option. I guess I'm a bit hesitant about making a mistake or forgetting something important however.
If you don't have a lot of itemized deductions and your income is basically W-2, they can calculate the right amounts anyway and anything you do is trivial. The chances of getting audited with standard deduction and W-2 income is 0.0% ... I'd let it fly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

I like taxhawk ok. Free federal, state is like $16.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A friend of mine was deployed a few months ago and Ive been watching after his rental property. Ive essentially become the land lord/property manager for the people in this apartment complex and take in all the monthly rent through cash app, money orders/checks or just straight cash. Then take 10% out of it and deposit the rest into his account. This week, the communal dryer bit the dust and his cards kept getting declined since he's purchasing from over seas. So he cash apped the money to me and I'll purchase the dryer for the place when it clears. Basic Coin Dryer for 1100 after taxes.

Ive been keeping all the receipts, but Im getting a bit concerned over how taxes are going to treat all of this next year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
A friend of mine was deployed a few months ago and Ive been watching after his rental property. Ive essentially become the land lord/property manager for the people in this apartment complex and take in all the monthly rent through cash app, money orders/checks or just straight cash. Then take 10% out of it and deposit the rest into his account. This week, the communal dryer bit the dust and his cards kept getting declined since he's purchasing from over seas. So he cash apped the money to me and I'll purchase the dryer for the place when it clears. Basic Coin Dryer for 1100 after taxes.

Ive been keeping all the receipts, but Im getting a bit concerned over how taxes are going to treat all of this next year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This is new territory since the cash apps like PayPal, venmo, etc are supposed to send 1099s and it could potentially be income. I'd keep copies of receipts showing that money you took in from cash apps was spent on items your friend is claiming as business expenses. The 10% skim you're taking *is* income for you, though. You probably can't hide that. He will have to 1099 you for that (or eat it, I guess).

From your description, you are mixing your personal credit with his business (floating transactions for him). It might be ok but you'll need good docs. He needs an accountant for his business and you need to be a party to that since youre both managing and mixing in your money. My opinion only. Get a cpa.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My dumbass state tax board just sent me a letter demanding an additional $9k because they "couldn't verify" the amount of state withholding on my last return. Of course, the amount I claimed is exactly the sum of the reported amount on two W-2's plus a 1099. The number they say they can verify is no discernible combination of anything at all on my return. This is going to put me 6-0 against state and federal tax agencies. Fucking morons.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Shocking development! After (politely) explaining to the tax board that they were incompetent, a "new investigation" has revealed that my $9k outstanding bill is actually a $300 refund! 6-0, confirmed.

I bet they do this to people because a non-zero percentage don't bother to fight and just pay. Motherfuckers....

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This year my etrade account became subject to a backup tax withholding thing on dividends.

I did not receive any notice or anything about this so I am unclear the cause of it. I don't have super complicated returns and just do it all on turbo tax every year with the documents they provide. I am guessing I missed a box or some shit?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This year my etrade account became subject to a backup tax withholding thing on dividends.

I did not receive any notice or anything about this so I am unclear the cause of it. I don't have super complicated returns and just do it all on turbo tax every year with the documents they provide. I am guessing I missed a box or some shit?
Do you add all the 1099s for dividend income every year?

Also do you get dividends on REITs in the account? They're taxed differently so maybe you hit a reporting threshold.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I thought I did but I honestly don't know. I just submit whatever Etrade provides but I guess I could have missed one? I had thought they consolidate all the dividends into one singular document?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I thought I did but I honestly don't know. I just submit whatever Etrade provides but I guess I could have missed one? I had thought they consolidate all the dividends into one singular document?
You can call the IRS and ask why, they usually do that because you failed to report some income that they were reported. From what you're saying it's not intentional on your part, but thats how it happens. They can also be wrong so if you call and get them to explain it maybe you can resolve it.